"History will be made" campaign returns for 2011 playoffs

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555218

Last season's History Will Be Made campaign was one of the most successful campaigns in NHL history, driving more than 302 million TV viewers for the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the most watched in 36 years. The campaign, which featured prominent Playoffs moments from NHL greats Bobby Orr and others, not only drove interest and television viewership but connected with fans on an emotional level and inspired them to create and post their own versions of the TV spots to YouTube, generating more than 2,400 fan-created commercials and more than 8 million total views. For the second straight year, fans will be able to download the music composed for the History Will Be Made campaign from the NHL's Facebook page for fan-generated spots.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They didn't have a choice. If they didn't, other people with photoshop would.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
They will do other stuff too, like "There are no words" last year.

It's weird seeing the NHL (more accurately the company they hired for it) actually have good marketing ideas. After literally decades of being tone deaf.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
This should be their playoff ad campaign from now on, I dont think it can get much better.

tarlinian

Dec 4, 2008
Pasadena, CA
I actually think the single best NHL ad I've seen is the "Cup Raise" commercial (it should be played every year, but maybe instead of ending on Gretzky and the Oilers, end on the latest cup champion captain). But the "History will be made" ad campaign is very good. I've even seen it get adapted to other sports. (That's a rarity in hockey.)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I actually think the single best NHL ad I've seen is the "Cup Raise" commercial (it should be played every year, but maybe instead of ending on Gretzky and the Oilers, end on the latest cup champion captain). But the "History will be made" ad campaign is very good. I've even seen it get adapted to other sports. (That's a rarity in hockey.)

Could you give us examples that may have been uploaded to youtube?

I thought it was a good campaign despite the mocking that I found funny but I'd like to see some of the adaptations for other sports.

Eaglepride*

I guess I am in the minority and was not a fan of them

well when the first started it it was great, refreshing and a nice breath of fresh air but after some time...well I can remember a nice but really not historic mule goal seeing the "what if Franzen didn't score - history will be made brand" against SJ.

Answer: Sharks would have swept us.

If you are doing this history will be made stuff at least use real historic moments, such as Roy on the fly save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad