OT: (history) Players who have nixed trades to Vancouver?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Compiling a list of Players who refused or rejected a trade to the Canucks

1.Doug Gilmour
2.Daryl Sittler
3.craig Janney
4.Rob Macclanahan
5.Gretzky (before trade to St. Louis)

Anyone else come to mind

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I never heard about Gilmour. When was that?

1996, before he was traded to the Devils

In hindsight, my request probably cost the Leafs the best deal they could have made for me. Cliff told me which teams were interested, and the first one was Vancouver. The Canucks’ general manager, Pat Quinn—Cliff ’s old friend—was considering sending young prospect Markus Naslund to Toronto for me. At the time, he was only 23 years old and was really just coming into his own, in only his fourth season in the league. He would go on to become a focal point of the Canucks franchise—a team captain, a first-team all-star, and even a Lester Pearson Award winner as the players’ choice of MVP. In 2002–03 he put up 48 goals and 104 points.

I told Cliff I didn’t want to go to Vancouver. It wasn’t because of the team, but because of the distance from southern Ontario and the long flights. It was just too far from away where I needed to be in my life.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
IIRC, in 1974 Fred O'Donnell refused to report to Vancouver after he was traded to the Canucks along with Chris Oddleifson (and the rights to Mike Walton) for Bobby Schmautz. Instead he jumped to the WHA.

I was pretty young, but I remember it really pissed me off, as Schmautz was my favourite Canuck and not only was he getting traded away, but some jerk was didn't want to play for us so much that he defected to another league. f*** him.

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Add Vincent Damphousse to the list — at least if you believe the story below. Burke reportedly had a deal in place with San Jose at the 2003 trade deadline, but Damphousse wanted the Canucks to give him an extension before he'd waive his NTC. Seems like Burke wouldn't agree and Damphousse balked.

Ottawa Citizen
March 13, 2003 Thursday Final Edition
Seeming surefire deals collapsed before deadline
By Neil Stevens

Vince Damphousse was about to join the Colorado Avalanche at the NHL trade deadline, but the deal collapsed in a dispute over money.

Alexei Zhitnik asked to be traded, but the Buffalo Sabres didn't get an offer they liked enough to accept.
Sean Burke was sought after, but the Phoenix Coyotes didn't get an offer they liked enough to pull the trigger.

Teppo Numminen was targeted by Detroit, but the defenceman invoked a no-trade clause in his contract to remain with Phoenix.

While a record number of 24 deadline deals were completed by 3 p.m. Tuesday, many other transactions fell through before the deadline.

Damphousse has a no-trade clause but the San Jose forward gave the Sharks permission to strike a deal with Colorado. He sat out practice Tuesday and was prepared to pack his gear and head for Denver.

The deal fell through when Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix asked San Jose counterpart Dean Lombardi to pick up $1 million of the $4-million U.S. salary Damphousse can earn next season. Lombardi decided against it.

The Vancouver Canucks were also interested in Damphousse, and general manager Brian Burke was close to a deal before the focus switched to the Avalanche. Talks collapsed when Damphousse reportedly demanded a contract extension from Burke in exchange for waiving the no-trade clause.

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Demers.

He has been utter crap anyways.. he's playing for the Yotes to.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Naslund went into his own in 98-99 with 36 goals, then followed by 27 and then 41 with Messier/Cassels.
He then went 40-48-35-32 with Brendan Morrison as his centre.

The 'what if' is how his production would've been with Sundin, both right in their primes.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
IIRC, in 1974 Fred O'Donnell refused to report to Vancouver after he was traded to the Canucks along with Chris Oddleifson (and the rights to Mike Walton) for Bobby Schmautz. Instead he jumped to the WHA.

I was pretty young, but I remember it really pissed me off, as Schmautz was my favourite Canuck and not only was he getting traded away, but some jerk was didn't want to play for us so much that he defected to another league. **** him.
What was Jesus like?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Add Vincent Damphousse to the list — at least if you believe the story below. Burke reportedly had a deal in place with San Jose at the 2003 trade deadline, but Damphousse wanted the Canucks to give him an extension before he'd waive his NTC. Seems like Burke wouldn't agree and Damphousse balked.

not sure if that counts as nixing. he was willing to waive his ntc on terms. burrows did the same thing and is quite happy in ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad