Episode 1: Fenway Park
Ep 2: The Hollywood Sign
Ep 3: The Gadsden Flag
Ep 4: The Cowboy
Ep 5: The Statue of Liberty
Ep 6: The American Bald Eagle
Ep 7: Stone Mountain
Ep 8: The Golden Gate Bridge

A look at some iconic American symbols/locations. Discuses how/why the thing was created, how it has "endured" and/or changed over the years, the controversies/tragedies of the thing and more. Interviews from folks who "were there" or experienced key moments relating to the icon.

I'm three episodes in and enjoying it.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Your list has "The Cowboy" followed by "The Statue of Liberty", and my mind immediately went to this guy ...

Naked Cowboy-Solar Eclipse.jpeg

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
pbs.org/iconicamerica

Episode 1: Fenway Park
Ep 2: The Hollywood Sign
Ep 3: The Gadsden Flag
Ep 4: The Cowboy
Ep 5: The Statue of Liberty
Ep 6: The American Bald Eagle
Ep 7: Stone Mountain
Ep 8: The Golden Gate Bridge

A look at some iconic American symbols/locations. Discuses how/why the thing was created, how it has "endured" and/or changed over the years, the controversies/tragedies of the thing and more. Interviews from folks who "were there" or experienced key moments relating to the icon.

I'm three episodes in and enjoying it.
No Golden Arches?

Reactions: JMCx4

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
It would be interesting to compare the PBS list to the iconic symbols and locations in other countries such as France, Egypt or China to name a few.

I haven't warched the series. How does PBS define an icon as being specifically American besides geography? Cowboys and bald eagles exist and are considered iconic in other countries, for example.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I haven't wa(t)ched the series. How does PBS define an icon as being specifically American besides geography? Cowboys and bald eagles exist and are considered iconic in other countries, for example.
The tradition of American national hubris allows us to consider & claim ANYTHING as our own. :groucho:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad