History of playing the puck with the body

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
So I was watching the Edmonton - Vancouver game yesterday, which the Canucks won 4-2 (3-2 with empty netter). As an Oilers' fan, it was painful. The first Vancouver goal was after a puck bounced off the official into the slot, the second was put in by a Canuck player's skate, and the third was on the PP after an iffy too-many-men call with about 4 minutes left in a tied game.

Anyway, the goal that was put in by a skate (Bo Horvat's) was a really bad goal, I think. It was one of those players where Horvat did not appear to make a kicking motion, but he did appear to be in full control of his leg, which seemingly intentionally put the puck in.

Then, I was thinking: Why does the NHL allow these goals to count? Was there ever a time when any goal scored off a body-part or foot didn't count -- that is, when the only way you could score was by using the stick? Or was it always like it is now, more or less?

Any info appreciated.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think as much as the league would like to see goals scored with sticks, what the biggest concern here was blades coming off the ice.

The league doesn't want to see guys swinging wildly with their legs, and potentially slicing another player.

I think the league's interpretation therefore of a kicking motion is typically not violated as long as the skater is not blatantly lifting his blade off the ice to a very obvious level.

Ive seen multiple times where it looks looks like a puck is directed purposefully into the net, but as long as you can avoid that dangerous kicking motion, they wont call it back. Or at least, if its called a goal on the ice, they will not overturn it.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It's not because it's dangerous, it's because the game isn't called footpuck. You're not allowed to score goals with your hands/gloves either (you're not even allowed to set-up goals with your hands, you are with your feet though) and there's no blades on players gloves.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
So I was watching the Edmonton - Vancouver game yesterday, which the Canucks won 4-2 (3-2 with empty netter). As an Oilers' fan, it was painful. The first Vancouver goal was after a puck bounced off the official into the slot, the second was put in by a Canuck player's skate, and the third was on the PP after an iffy too-many-men call with about 4 minutes left in a tied game.

Anyway, the goal that was put in by a skate (Bo Horvat's) was a really bad goal, I think. It was one of those players where Horvat did not appear to make a kicking motion, but he did appear to be in full control of his leg, which seemingly intentionally put the puck in.

Then, I was thinking: Why does the NHL allow these goals to count? Was there ever a time when any goal scored off a body-part or foot didn't count -- that is, when the only way you could score was by using the stick? Or was it always like it is now, more or less?

Any info appreciated.

I seem to recall a goal by Mahovlich? in the 72 Summit series being called back even though there was clearly no kicking motion, but he absolutely knew what he was doing, letting it bounce off his skate and in. I think it was somewhere between games 2-4? Also hard to say as Ive never been clear on what rulebook the summit series was played under (NHL, IIHF?)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's not because it's dangerous, it's because the game isn't called footpuck. You're not allowed to score goals with your hands/gloves either (you're not even allowed to set-up goals with your hands, you are with your feet though) and there's no blades on players gloves.

I've seen goals come off gloves. The rule basically states that goals defelcting off gloves are allowed, but you can't swing or bat at the puck. So they basically ban a swinging motion.

From the cases Ive seen, they tend to be more liberal in allowing skate goals than glove goals though. Or perhaps that is my perception because reviews involving gloves are much rarer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad