History of hockey in DC

steve98765

Jan 31, 2021
I hope you can help answer my question.
I am hoping that maybe you can help me with my question. I am trying to find out about the VERY early years of Hockey in the washington DC area. I know that the Washington DC area currently have The Washington Capitals which began playing in the area in 1974. But what history might you have about hockey in DC before that. Maybe something in the in 1940's or 1950's. Or maybe something even earlier. If I should address my question to some else please do let me.
If you could look and send me links about that, that would be great. Pictures would be great too.
Stephen Hosmer
[email protected]

Sep 19, 2008
There wasn't much of a hockey scene in the early days of the Capitals. I wasn't around then but the Capitals struggled early on the ice and didn't really get a footing in the area until late. For example, there wasn't much hockey played in the 40's and 50's here IIRC. The city didn't even embrace the team (poor record, set record for worst start for an expansion team ever, when they finally won a game they lifted the trash can up like it was the Stanley Cup)

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Half the fans at the cap center in the 80s were other Patrick division fans. Partly because of being close and partly because dc had a lot of outsiders who worked there

Reactions: Neil Racki

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I hope you can help answer my question.
I am hoping that maybe you can help me with my question. I am trying to find out about the VERY early years of Hockey in the washington DC area. I know that the Washington DC area currently have The Washington Capitals which began playing in the area in 1974. But what history might you have about hockey in DC before that. Maybe something in the in 1940's or 1950's. Or maybe something even earlier. If I should address my question to some else please do let me.
If you could look and send me links about that, that would be great. Pictures would be great too.
Stephen Hosmer
[email protected]

The history of hockey in DC began in earnest in the Spring of 2018 in Columbus, Ohio, with a goal by Lars Eller, and ended in early July in a fountain in Georgetown.

Pictures:

The Beginning part
56ORJ5CCYQI6RBLJE362NNAEY4.jpg

The middle part.
maxresdefault.jpg

The happy ending.
alex-ovechkin-tom-wilson-tj-oshie-fountains-holtby.jpg

I'm sure there was more but I can't recall any of it at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad