Confirmed with Link: Hishon Re-Signed 1 Year, 2-Way Deal 890k/70k

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Perhaps he managed to change Roy's perception of him when he was up to end the year...who really knows at this point. I do think it's a bit odd that the Avs have a separate announcement just for Hishon (instead of waiting to announce signings in groups, like they usually do with the lower-tier players). Personally, I'm still hoping for Hishon to be able to turn in a steady NHL career. If he continues working on his defensive game, and face-offs, he could carve out a nice role as a Bottom-6 center.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Meh. Good depth, but I expect him to spend the majority of the year in the AHL. With how much Roy and Sakic have still spent talking about size being important, I don't think their opinions on Hishon have changed much.

He's going to be behind Everberg, Cliche (sadly), and Rantanen, if he stays in NA, for sure. Roy also has a crush on Rendulic.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Alright, glad to have him. Hope he has a good year in the AHL. Maybe he can get some more NHL time as an injury call up and lock down a permanent spot in the bottom 6 for the following season.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'd like to see a Hish/Grig - Grig/Hish - Rantanen preseason line just for fun.

Hopefully Hishon impressed enough with his improvements in the defensive/checking game during his time up last season he'll at least get a good shot at camp. I don't expect it, but it would make a pretty good story if he makes the NHL this season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
At the very least, 1st injury callup? I mean I like Ben Street and all but ...
Well, we've already got 14 forwards ahead of him on the depth chart. Someone will have to be sent down, and they'll be ahead of Hishon. Then you add in the potential of Rantanen either making the team or getting sent to the AHL, which would certainly push Hishon down further.

I thought Hishon showed well to end the year, but it's just common sense. Roy has said he wants to get bigger down the middle and in the bottom 6. Where is Hishon going to fit?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Perhaps he managed to change Roy's perception of him when he was up to end the year...who really knows at this point. I do think it's a bit odd that the Avs have a separate announcement just for Hishon (instead of waiting to announce signings in groups, like they usually do with the lower-tier players). Personally, I'm still hoping for Hishon to be able to turn in a steady NHL career. If he continues working on his defensive game, and face-offs, he could carve out a nice role as a Bottom-6 center.

Provided he stays healthy and the avs give him a chance, he'll should be better than a bottom 6 player.

A lot of people are down on him and think he has no future with the avs given this all size fetish but he has the talent to stick with this team.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Provided he stays healthy and the avs give him a chance, he'll should be better than a bottom 6 player.

A lot of people are down on him and think he has no future with the avs given this all size fetish but he has the talent to stick with this team.

I have to disagree with you there. He looked decent in a horrible bottom 6. He is fairly well rounded in his game but does not have anything exceptional about his game, nor is he good enough to stick in the NHL full time, IMO. He has good vision but everything else is average to below average NHL quality. And yes, his size does hurt him when he is not able to use it. For someone his size, he needs to be faster or at least quicker than he is. I think he is a good warm body that won't really hurt you or help you if you need someone in a pinch.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Just because he's small doesn't make him a top 6 player. He's even more a middle 6 guy in the AHL. He's a skilled grinder, he works well with those types and on that kind of line.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What a bizarre contract. He only gets a $2500 raise in the AHL but takes a $10k paycut in the NHL (assuming General Fanager's info is correct). Agent must have worked hard.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I have to disagree with you there. He looked decent in a horrible bottom 6. He is fairly well rounded in his game but does not have anything exceptional about his game, nor is he good enough to stick in the NHL full time, IMO. He has good vision but everything else is average to below average NHL quality. And yes, his size does hurt him when he is not able to use it. For someone his size, he needs to be faster or at least quicker than he is. I think he is a good warm body that won't really hurt you or help you if you need someone in a pinch.

He has exceptional vision, hands and hockey IQ.

Just because he's small doesn't make him a top 6 player. He's even more a middle 6 guy in the AHL. He's a skilled grinder, he works well with those types and on that kind of line.

Nobody said anything about his size dictating where he plays... it's actually the opposite on this site, usually.

He has the talent to be a top 6 player... IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not expecting him to be one of the top call ups but I hope he gets a chance at some point. I liked what I saw last season.

What a bizarre contract. He only gets a $2500 raise in the AHL but takes a $10k paycut in the NHL (assuming General Fanager's info is correct). Agent must have worked hard.

It was $850k/$67.5k last year and now it's $890k/$70k.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad