Hischier VS Heiskanen VS Pettersson

how would you rank these three studs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This has been discussed a lot but lets put it to a poll!

This is NOT who youd prefer on your team, but who we think will end up being the best most valuable player. Shaping up to have a very very solid draft and i think its close to unanimus these are the top three.

Makar is seeing pretty highly too and could work his way into this discussion in the future but i think most agree for now these are the top 3

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
In 5 years from now it will be Heiskanen and Makar that are the class of that draft. Makar is going to turn a lot of heads when he hits the NHL in April.

For the sake of the poll, Hesikanen is #1 followed by Pettersson.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
In 5 years from now it will be Heiskanen and Makar that are the class of that draft. Makar is going to turn a lot of heads when he hits the NHL in April.

Elias Pettersson is already a #1 center and is trending towards superstar territory, mentioned alongside young talents like Matthews, Laine, Marner, Barzal, etc.. Exactly how good do you think Heiskanen and Makar are going to be, lol?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Elias Pettersson is already a #1 center and is trending towards superstar territory, mentioned alongside young talents like Matthews, Laine, Marner, Barzal, etc.. Exactly how good do you think Heiskanen and Makar are going to be, lol?

And Heiskanen is already playing the role of a #1 defender and very well. He just doesn't play as flashy of a game as Pettersson. He also plays in a much smaller hockey market.

He's being mentioned alongside many of the elite young defenders such as Jones, McAvoy, Provorov, and more.

Heiskanen is having a comparable season in terms of impact to Pettersson. A lot of us thought our season was probably over when Klingberg went down and will be out for 6+ weeks total, but Heiskanen has stepped up and taken over that role very well. He doesn't have the same offensive flair Klingberg does, but there are maybe only a few defenders in the world who do. Defensively he has been a stud and a workhorse, leading all rookes in TOI and he could very well be on pace to have the highest average TOI of any rookie player since the stat has been recorded. He has some occasional hiccups but so does Pettersson.

I don't think it's fair or correct at all to say that Pettersson has truly separated himself from Heiskanen in terms of impact.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
There are only 27 defenseman in the NHL(including vets) who spend more time on the ice than him currently (total) (and most of those it's because he sees significantly less pp time per game (1-1.5min per game)) So He's playing as much as a #1, and it continues to go up with each game. So Pettersson is a #1 Center, and Heiskanen is being used and excelling as a #1 D-man. But yeah being a #1 Center is a bigger accomplishment

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
There are only 27 defenseman in the NHL(including vets) who spend more time on the ice than him currently (total) (and most of those it's because he sees significantly less pp time per game (1-1.5min per game)) So He's playing as much as a #1, and it continues to go up with each game. So Pettersson is a #1 Center, and Heiskanen is being used and excelling as a #1 D-man. But yeah being a #1 Center is a bigger accomplishment
My point was that if Heiskanen and Makar (who hasn't even played an NHL game and isn't doing all that much better than Hughes back in NCAA) are going to be the "class of the draft" and clearly a level or two better than Pettersson, they would have to both end up being perennial Norris winners/candidates. I'm not saying Heiskanen is not a stud or that he's not a #1 defenseman... I'm saying that he's going to have to become quite the player if he's going to outclass Pettersson, a player I project as becoming a top 10 player in the NHL within the next few years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
My point was that if Heiskanen and Makar (who hasn't even played an NHL game and isn't doing all that much better than Hughes back in NCAA) are going to be the "class of the draft" and clearly a level or two better than Pettersson, they would have to both end up being perennial Norris winners/candidates. I'm not saying Heiskanen is not a stud or that he's not a #1 defenseman... I'm saying that he's going to have to become quite the player if he's going to outclass Pettersson, a player I project as becoming a top 10 player in the NHL within the next few years.
Why would Heiskanen not, though? He's one of the best young defensemen in NHL and his skill set should certainly allow him to be a Norris contender.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
When did Heiskanen move ahead of Hischier for almost 80% of voters? I can't understand that.

People overhype the crap out of Dmen. It's ridiculous. Don't you remember all the Sergachev hype last year? And now he looks like he should be in the AHL. Heiskanen is great, but 1C>1D and Nico already has a damn fine resume. Solid D+1 season last year, and now playing at about a 65 point pace even though it's taken him a few games to get back from injury.
Even compared to EP Nico is shortchanged. Just look at the numbers now that EP has slowed down. Nico gets much tougher zone stars (about 60/40 ozone/dzone vs EP who is almost at 70/30) and has been fairly unlucky this year with a woeful 95 PDO. If Nico and EP both regress to the mean they're likely both on around a 70 point pace.
Overall I think you can redo this poll every 6 months and get different results. Heiskanen shouldn't overtake either Nico or EP though unless he posts some truly dominant seasons as 1C's are just more valuable than Dmen.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
People overhype the crap out of Dmen. It's ridiculous. Don't you remember all the Sergachev hype last year? And now he looks like he should be in the AHL. Heiskanen is great, but 1C>1D and Nico already has a damn fine resume. Solid D+1 season last year, and now playing at about a 65 point pace even though it's taken him a few games to get back from injury.
Even compared to EP Nico is shortchanged. Just look at the numbers now that EP has slowed down. Nico gets much tougher zone stars (about 60/40 ozone/dzone vs EP who is almost at 70/30) and has been fairly unlucky this year with a woeful 95 PDO. If Nico and EP both regress to the mean they're likely both on around a 70 point pace.
Overall I think you can redo this poll every 6 months and get different results. Heiskanen shouldn't overtake either Nico or EP though unless he posts some truly dominant seasons as 1C's are just more valuable than Dmen.

1c's are not more important than #1 D

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
1c's are not more important than #1 D

This has been discussed ad nauseam on the forums and the consensus is that 1C>1D. There are a variety of arguments, but here are a few...
1C's perform better/are more valuable on their ELC than 1 D's
How many teams win a cup without a 1C and how do elite defensive teams like NSH fare? It's clear that offense and C's are > D's.
How often are elite 1C's moved? It almost never happens, but 1 D's on the other hand are traded much more often. Weber, Subban, EK, Burns, etc.

It's quite clear that 1C's are not only more important, but far more highly valued by GMs than 1D's.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This has been discussed ad nauseam on the forums and the consensus is that 1C>1D. There are a variety of arguments, but here are a few...
1C's perform better/are more valuable on their ELC than 1 D's
How many teams win a cup without a 1C and how do elite defensive teams like NSH fare? It's clear that offense and C's are > D's.
How often are elite 1C's moved? It almost never happens, but 1 D's on the other hand are traded much more often. Weber, Subban, EK, Burns, etc.

It's quite clear that 1C's are not only more important, but far more highly valued by GMs than 1D's.
Burns wasn't a 1d when he was traded, hell he was used as a forward because of Matt Irwin, and wasn't switched back to defense until 2-3yrs later, Weber and Subban were traded for Each other, EK was an obvious circumstance that wasn't within the norm. The fact that you had to pick those 4, 2 of which were traded for each other, is because of the limited # of times it happens
But you also have
M.Richards, B.Richards, J.Spezza, T.Seguin,J.Carter, Staal, Duchene, Turris, among others.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Burns wasn't a 1d when he was traded, hell he was used as a forward because of Matt Irwin, and wasn't switched back to defense until 2-3yrs later, Weber and Subban were traded for Each other, EK was an obvious circumstance that wasn't within the norm. The fact that you had to pick those 4, 2 of which were traded for each other, is because of the limited # of times it happens
But you also have
M.Richards, B.Richards, J.Spezza, T.Seguin,J.Carter, Staal, Duchene, Turris, among others.

So you try to discredit the guys I listed and then list a bunch of guys who aren't 1C's like Turris and guys who requested trades like Duchene and Spezza (funny enough Turris also forced his way out of Phoenix). LOL.

Going by your standards for what makes a 1C guys like Adam Larsson are 1D's so there are probably a couple of them traded each year.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
So you try to discredit the guys I listed and then list a bunch of guys who aren't 1C's like Turris and guys who requested trades like Duchene and Spezza (funny enough Turris also forced his way out of Phoenix). LOL.

Going by your standards for what makes a 1C guys like Adam Larsson are 1D's so there are probably a couple of them traded each year.
By my standards? By Every bodies Standards those guys are #1 Centers, an argument could be made that Turris only played the role of a #1 center because Ottawas roster is garbage, but everybody else was absolutely.

You listed 4, of 5 you could possible list, (seth jones being the glaring exception)
1 of which was a Shitty D-man that played the next few years at forward, before transitioning back, Matt f***ing Irwin beat him out as a defenseman at the time of the trade, That speaks for itself.
with that level of fishing i'm shocked you didn't list the predators traded 15 to Ottawa for 18 and a 3rd, that Turned out to be Erik karlsson.

You used Weber for Subban which was a 1d for a 1d, that trade, they weren't moved for lesser pieces, it literally works against what you're trying to say, they move so infrequently that it takes another #1 d-man to get a team to move one.

Karlsson was traded for spare parts by a clown-shoes organization, and is the only example you have that works, it was a once in decade kind of derp move that just doesn't happen

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
By my standards? By Every bodies Standards those guys are #1 Centers, an argument could be made that Turris only played the role of a #1 center because Ottawas roster is garbage, but everybody else was absolutely.

You listed 4, of 5 you could possible list, (seth jones being the glaring exception)
1 of which was a ****ty D-man that played the next few years at forward, before transitioning back, Matt ****ing Irwin beat him out as a defenseman at the time of the trade, That speaks for itself.
with that level of fishing i'm shocked you didn't list the predators traded 15 to Ottawa for 18 and a 3rd, that Turned out to be Erik karlsson.

You used Weber for Subban which was a 1d for a 1d, that trade, they weren't moved for lesser pieces, it literally works against what you're trying to say, they move so infrequently that it takes another #1 d-man to get a team to move one.

Karlsson was traded for spare parts by a clown-shoes organization, and is the only example you have that works, it was a once in decade kind of derp move that just doesn't happen

Stop all the mental gymnastics and just take the homer glasses off. I'll even make it easy for you...
What's more important, 1C or 1D?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

You prove further and further that you’re the biggest homer on the entire forum.

Another terrible take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad