Hindsight & awards voting

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Rating defensive play is difficult because the observers are not privy to the exact team objectives and roles of the specific players under consideration.

Speculation and assumptions are far from accurate measures of objectives and roles

This is also a good point.

Another reason why the Selke is almost impossible to "get right".

I have a feeling anyone watching NHL hockey that has never coached at a reasonably high level pays little attention to the defense played by the forwards, much less what the team's defensive scheme is.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Organized Hockey

This is also a good point.

Another reason why the Selke is almost impossible to "get right".

I have a feeling anyone watching NHL hockey that has never coached at a reasonably high level pays little attention to the defense played by the forwards, much less what the team's defensive scheme is.

Youngsters who played organized hockey and others involved with organized hockey tend to retain a basic understanding of defense, the different schemes, responsibilities and philosophies.

What may be considered "new" is usually a re-arrangement of the various pieces.

Media voters are another issue. Basically they are interested in their story selling and offense sells so that is what they watch for. After awhile they tend to blend offense into defense and vote accordingly.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Youngsters who played organized hockey and others involved with organized hockey tend to retain a basic understanding of defense, the different schemes, responsibilities and philosophies.What may be considered "new" is usually a re-arrangement of the various pieces.

Media voters are another issue. Basically they are interested in their story selling and offense sells so that is what they watch for. After awhile they tend to blend offense into defense and vote accordingly.

I don't doubt this is true, but I question if they are paying a lot of attention to the defense play of forwards when viewing NHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad