Higher trade value?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Unironically voting Nylander.

I think he has similar upside as Marner, maybe higher. And a far better contract.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Marner produced a 94 point season, Nylanders career high is 61. That's a 4m difference right there. However the biggest overpayment on the leafs roster is Matthews.

I think Nylander is better than what last season was, he missed many games and preseason.

I dont want to Give too much weight to WHC but he had 18 points in 8 games last may (McDavid had 17 in 10 for example)

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah you're right, Matthew's isn't overpaid. 73 points for 11m, looks like Nylander is underpaid by about 2.5m instead. Marner should be making about 15 then. Leafs contracts are actually bargains when you think about it that way!

:laugh:
You clearly don’t watch the games apart from your own team. Matthews is far and away the best player on this team. Your 73p example is extremely disingenuous and I’d even say trolling.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Nylander is better than what last season was, he missed many games and preseason.

I dont want to Give too much weight to WHC but he had 18 points in 8 games last may (McDavid had 17 in 10 for example)

I didn't even mention last season? At his best so far he's only produced 61 points, even a hot start this year he's only pacing for 82 which is still substantially lower than what Marner actually did last year. Marner is quite clearly the better player with more trade value. Production at the WHC really doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You clearly don’t watch the games apart from your own team. Matthews is far and away the best player on this team. Your 73p example is extremely disingenuous and I’d even say trolling.

No, my 73 point example is quite clearly a fact. A guy with a career high 73 points and injury issues is the 3rd highest caphit in the league is an overpayment.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah you're right, Matthew's isn't overpaid. 73 points for 11m, looks like Nylander is underpaid by about 2.5m instead. Marner should be making about 15 then. Leafs contracts are actually bargains when you think about it that way!

There's every bit of expectancy that Matthews will turn into a consistent 90-100+ point #1C. Maybe it's unfair how much "benefit of the doubt" he gets versus other players, and some of that is attributable to being a #1 overall, the hype, and the Toronto market - but Matthews is only going to be overpaid if he stagnates as a ~70 point guy. I don't see any reason why he would - he should be a solid 90-100 point guy imo, and as such, he's paid a lot but is also a top player, and it's fine. Same for Marner.

Neither contracts are steals or anything - but it's worth it to pay top $$ for top players, which they are.

I also think Nylander is better then last season. And if and when he proves to the world he can be a ~ppg winger for example - than maybe you could argue about his trade value vs Marner, with less production gap.

Right now - Nylander's value is really, really low, after such a bad season. So to the OP's question, Marner has a much higher trade value today.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nylander was better in 16-17 and so far this season, for contract reasons I prefer Nylander.

Trade value isn't about what you prefer though - it's about what you think the player might fetch on the trade market today.

Marner >> Nylander as of today. I agree that Nylander is talented enough to close the gap in time, but he has to do it first,

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Marner is overpaid by 2M. That’s the only overpay I will concede to. Overpayment is not our problem, it’s asset management. I don’t think you’re going to see these 4 forwards together for long if they don’t accomplish something real fast.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Marner is overpaid by 2M. That’s the only overpay I will concede to. Overpayment is not our problem, it’s asset management. I don’t think you’re going to see these 4 forwards together for long if they don’t accomplish something real fast.

3 players total ~33m of cap space

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I'm unconvinced all you NPCs giddily regurgitating "7³ pOinT pLayEr" aren't just being willfully obtuse as some lame joke

The problem with Matthews' contract is the term, not the money. If you're going to shit on it, do it right.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
What?

Considering what Matthews has done in his career so far, he's definitely overpaid. The fact that he's been injured is irrelevant, his career high in points is 73.

I do expect him to surpasses that this year, but he's pretty clearly overpaid considering his track record.

Reactions: Stamkos4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad