HIgh Point U to build an arena and start DI hockey

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's been "imminent" since 2017. I'll believe it when I hear an announcement from the school, the B1G, or College Hockey Inc. Random tweets and articles from "sources" like Barstool Sports don't count.
One of the sources is - or is the main source is - Buccigross and I am not saying his source is true, but no reason for him to use a terrible source or lie. So you're wrong that random tweets and Barstool Sports are the ones reporting it, they're reporting it from Bucci's tweet - which is the original one.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I see no reason for Buccigross to lie, but remember last year, when the school was "in the red zone" and it turned out to be like every time their football team got to the red zone: a whole lot of nothing. The Chicago Tribune even reported on the whole thing, and they have less reasons to lie or use "terrible sources." Whatever their sources were, they were inaccurate.

Either way, there are two sites that reliably report on NCAA hockey (USCHO and CollegeHockeyNews) and they have ignored this "story." Fascinating chatter on this USCHO board thread that will show why most of us don't believe a word about Illinois going varsity.

The thing as a whole reminds me of the "imminent" release of Guns N Roses' album Chinese Democracy during its 18 years of recording.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
They are certainly not rubbish, and have more credibility than your typical hockey rumor. The school's intentions to transition to DI hockey for the men's side are long-standing (catching up with the women's program), and their new ice facility is ready to house another DI program. It's just a matter of tying up the loose ends & getting past the pandemic.

Reactions: S E P H

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Put it this way, its not a situation of where there is smoke there is fire....

It's a situation of there is smoke coming from a fire.

Here's a look at the team's facilities at Centene Community Ice Center they moved into last season

Also it's no secret the effort is there, this article from last May in the STLToday paper featuring Zombo talks about his desire to take the program to NCAA D1 Ex-Blue Zombo is St. Louis' other championship-winning hockey coach and a few weeks the company conducting the NHL feasibility studies announced we were one of the 5 initial schools, although their press release has some incorrect details Lindenwood Announces Transition to Division I Hockey — Collegiate Consulting

Also the university previously explored a move in 2004 when the school was still an NAIA institution. A few factors prevented that from happening but here's the old article on that Lindenwood Explores Move Into D-I Interestingly the women's team did eventually join the CHA in 2012 when the university elevated most of the athletics to NCAA D2, moving women's hockey to D1.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Put it this way, its not a situation of where there is smoke there is fire....

It's a situation of there is smoke coming from a fire.

Here's a look at the team's facilities at Centene Community Ice Center they moved into last season

Also it's no secret the effort is there, this article from last May in the STLToday paper featuring Zombo talks about his desire to take the program to NCAA D1 Ex-Blue Zombo is St. Louis' other championship-winning hockey coach and a few weeks the company conducting the NHL feasibility studies announced we were one of the 5 initial schools, although their press release has some incorrect details Lindenwood Announces Transition to Division I Hockey — Collegiate Consulting

Also the university previously explored a move in 2004 when the school was still an NAIA institution. A few factors prevented that from happening but here's the old article on that Lindenwood Explores Move Into D-I Interestingly the women's team did eventually join the CHA in 2012 when the university elevated most of the athletics to NCAA D2, moving women's hockey to D1.
Interesting, I remember that study like five years ago (maybe even longer than that). However, I also recall that at least three of the schools decided to remain anonymous to the study besides UI and Oakland. That would make sense that Lindenwood would be one of those remaining three clubs. So if they do move to DI, what conference are we looking at for them? Would CCHA take another team even with St. Thomas joining them eventually?

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Interesting, I remember that study like five years ago (maybe even longer than that). However, I also recall that at least three of the schools decided to remain anonymous to the study besides UI and Oakland. That would make sense that Lindenwood would be one of those remaining three clubs. So if they do move to DI, what conference are we looking at for them? Would CCHA take another team even with St. Thomas joining them eventually?
Yes, LU was one of the schools that had remained anonymous at the time. It will be interesting to find out the other two at some point.

I think the CCHA is likely the best fit for LU, I don't think the CCHA would be opposed to having us with or without a 10th team but obviously any even number of teams is always good. Perhaps they'd allow Alabama Huntsville back in as a quick fix to balance it out, or they could just go with 9 until another school could be added.

Geographically we land in the middle of the NCHC but I don't think that conference is on the table. Although I'd be happy to see LU in that conference too.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I think the CCHA is likely the best fit for LU, I don't think the CCHA would be opposed to having us with or without a 10th team but obviously any even number of teams is always good. Perhaps they'd allow Alabama Huntsville back in as a quick fix to balance it out, or they could just go with 9 until another school could be added. ....
I've got a CCHA patch on my old Notre Dame replica jersey that I'd be willing to remove & sell to you for a reasonable price. Just because you're such a nice kid. ;)

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I've got a CCHA patch on my old Notre Dame replica jersey that I'd be willing to remove & sell to you for a reasonable price. Just because you're such a nice kid. ;)
Maybe we could put it on an LU jersey for you too!

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I don't think the CCHA would be opposed to having us with or without a 10th team but obviously any even number of teams is always good. Perhaps they'd allow Alabama Huntsville back in as a quick fix to balance it out, or they could just go with 9 until another school could be added.

Geographically we land in the middle of the NCHC but I don't think that conference is on the table.

Interestingly, the NCHC also only has 8 teams, so from a scheduling aspect, it would be a wash. If Lindenwood goes varsity, I'd expect them to apply for membership to both conferences. Why not hedge your bets?

Geographically, it doesn't look like either conference would be a "natural" for LU, so it might just come down to how full of themselves the NCHC is.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Interestingly, the NCHC also only has 8 teams, so from a scheduling aspect, it would be a wash. If Lindenwood goes varsity, I'd expect them to apply for membership to both conferences. Why not hedge your bets?

Geographically, it doesn't look like either conference would be a "natural" for LU, so it might just come down to how full of themselves the NCHC is.
In the CCHA, LU would slightly more on an island than in the NCHC. The former CCHA did have St. Louis University back in the 70s when the conference consisted of BG, Ohio, Ohio State, and some of the Michigan schools. So there is some history with CCHA in the STL region. Although there is some distance between opponents, we would essentially be smack in the middle of the NCHC with North Dakota, St. Cloud, Duluth Omaha north, Miami (OH) Western Michigan East, and CC and Denver to the West.

Again I think the CCHA is more likely given the Collegiate Consulting study says we were looking into the WCHA at the time the feasibility study was completed in 2018. Although one other angle to consider from a number of teams perspective is maybe we'd be the matching team for a potential Arizona State addition to the NCHC to bring the conference to an even 10. The LU hockey program staff, and athletics admin staff have connections to schools in each conference (+ASU from their ACHA days) so I'm sure all the bases will be covered.

Reactions: BOS358

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The last mention of High Point U in this thread (which was once a "High Point U" thread) was posted by @Barclay Donaldson on Jan. 28, 2020. Who here agrees with me that a new thread is warranted considering the time & distance traveled since then? And who here can figure out what the hell that new thread should be about ... at least for its first few posts? :dunno:

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Although one other angle to consider from a number of teams perspective is maybe we'd be the matching team for a potential Arizona State addition to the NCHC to bring the conference to an even 10. The LU hockey program staff, and athletics admin staff have connections to schools in each conference (+ASU from their ACHA days) so I'm sure all the bases will be covered.

At the risk of attracting mockery in the near term, I completely forgot that ASU was still independent.

This is what happens when you have practically forget that there is a world outside of your living room. Holy Hell, the lockdowns need to end.

Reactions: S E P H

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The last mention of High Point U in this thread (which was once a "High Point U" thread) was posted by @Barclay Donaldson on Jan. 28, 2020. Who here agrees with me that a new thread is warranted considering the time & distance traveled since then? And who here can figure out what the hell that new thread should be about ... at least for its first few posts? :dunno:
Perhaps either the creation of or a mod renaming this thread as a general "NCAA Expansion Candidates" thread or similar name. Essentially that's what this thread has devolved into. I will also back the creation of a separate LU hockey thread, we all know I can go on forever about them :blah:

Also it does beg the question of has there been anything seen or heard from on High Point hockey since the OP?

At the risk of attracting mockery in the near term, I completely forgot that ASU was still independent.

This is what happens when you have practically forget that there is a world outside of your living room. Holy Hell, the lockdowns need to end.

We can let it slide this one time

Reactions: S E P H and BOS358

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... This is what happens when you have practically forget that there is a world outside of your living room. Holy Hell, the lockdowns need to end.
I sure hope you've gotten up off the couch occasionally for a bio-break. Especially if the couch has cloth upholstery. :oops:

Reactions: BOS358

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Also it does beg the question of has there been anything seen or heard from on High Point hockey since the OP?

Nothing from no news source or the school has been released since this initial item. While they listed it as part of an aggressive 10 year expansion plan, one would think there should be something.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yes, LU was one of the schools that had remained anonymous at the time. It will be interesting to find out the other two at some point.
What do we think about the other schools across America who recently promoted Women's hockey to DI besides LIU? Maybe that will potentially pinpoint the two others? Perhaps LIU was one of the remaining two?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Arizona State couldn't get in NCHC, I highly doubt Lindenwood will be able to IMHO.

E: Though maybe the arena situation was the most prominent in the NCHC heads to decline ASU.

We need an NCAA Hockey expansion thread which talks about all potential schools.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... We need an NCAA Hockey expansion thread which talks about all potential schools.
On further review, I've concluded we have that very thread right here. So y'all just carry on with this fascinating exchange, while I close my eyes & pretend the thread title is: "Every School BUT High Point U Who Might-Could-Wanna Have An NCAA Division I Hockey Program For Men Or Women Or Both Some Day." :surrender

Last edited:

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I sure hope you've gotten up off the couch occasionally for a bio-break. Especially if the couch has cloth upholstery. :oops:

I'll forego the serious response to point out how much this post made me laugh!

If Arizona State couldn't get in NCHC, I highly doubt Lindenwood will be able to IMHO.

No argument here. There's a reason I made mention of how full of themselves the NCHC are. As for the arena situation, I just saw that Lindenwood has a 2500 seat arena, which must look tiny compared to Miami's 3200 seat behemoth...ah, the joys of being a charter member of a conference.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... As for the arena situation, I just saw that Lindenwood has a 2500 seat arena, which must look tiny compared to Miami's 3200 seat behemoth...ah, the joys of being a charter member of a conference.
Having been to both Cady & Lindenwood's USA Arena inside Centene Ice Center, I can assure you that the latter is plenty spacious when it's just me & my wife and maybe 4 dozen other fans watching the women's DI team on a weekend. Hopefully that will change when both the women & the men Lions are hosting nationally ranked DI opponents, but Mrs. JMC 'n' me would definitely miss having our own seating section if we chose to have some privacy.

ETA: Note that Lindenwood's 2,500 capacity is all lower bowl seating (with maybe a couple dozen stool seats at the top on one end), and no suites. Goggin-Cady's lower bowl seats 2,800, so the difference ain't much from a work-a-day fan or student perspective.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad