High Numbers

Hackey Night

Mar 3, 2013
Torono, ON
I know both Wilson/Burke were adamant on players having to earn their digits once players were re-called from the AHL.

But now that they're both gone, some of the high numbers like Kadri 43, Gardiner 51, Kulemin 41 and a few others have earned their spots.

Obviously in the case of Kadri (13 in junior), and Komarov 87 in the KHL aren't gonna get theirs here.

But would love to see these guys with something different perhaps lower.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ideally:

Kadri 91 (junior number, kind of the new star center number)
Kulemin 14
Gardiner 15?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Not only is the jersey policy stupid it has to be bad for sales.

People wont buy a young players jersey because they will be afraid the player will change the number.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Not only is the jersey policy stupid it has to be bad for sales.

People wont buy a young players jersey because they will be afraid the player will change the number.

most people don't even know they have the policy and think that will be there number so actually it's a good thing for sales, since when they change the same people will want the new number

Hackey Night

Mar 3, 2013
Torono, ON
I think certain numbers shouldn't be touched out of respect for the players who is most well associated with it. Like, 13 and 14.

I remember hearing that Gilmour being offered the #14, but refused out of his reverence for Dave Keon.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Nonis will care what # a rookie wants.

Burke was just hard up about all his principles...not trading players near Christmas, not front loading deals, not offer sheeting, not firing Ron Wilson etc etc.

If Kadri wanted 91, he'd have it by now. He has said a while ago that he'll keep 43.

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
13, 14, 17, 27 & 93 should all be retired. Time for the organization to wake up and respect those players. Nobody should ever wear those numbers for the Leafs again.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think certain numbers shouldn't be touched out of respect for the players who is most well associated with it. Like, 13 and 14.

I remember hearing that Gilmour being offered the #14, but refused out of his reverence for Dave Keon.

But at the same time, it is kind of nice in theory to have those special numbers given to new generations. Not so much a Matt Stajan skating around wearing 14, but the idea of the next big talented Swedish center coming in and wearing 13 would be kind of a neat and special tradition that other franchises don't have.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I don't think they would change their numbers. They've worn it for years already. I bet it means more to them now than 91 or 14 ever did.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think they would change their numbers. They've worn it for years already. I bet it means more to them now than 91 or 14 ever did.

Yeah, rookie numbers are stupid. Now we basically have more numbers in the 40s than in other ranges... 41, 42, 43, 45, 47. WTF?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
13, 14, 17, 27 & 93 should all be retired. Time for the organization to wake up and respect those players. Nobody should ever wear those numbers for the Leafs again.

#1(Bower and Broda) #10(Apps and Armstrong) #21(Salming) #7(Horton)

Only problem is we won't have any numbers left. I kind of like when a player wears a famous numbers at a club, As long as the player is of similar talent or on a path to be.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I never really agreed with the "earn your number" policy...seemed like a poor decision for merchandising purposes alone (the amount of people who held off on buying Kadri/Gardiner/Frattin/etc. in case they changed their number in a year or two).

However, I'm fine with Kadri, Kulemin, and Gardiner's numbers. They've kind of grown on me. And I especially like Kadri's attitude of making #43 his own, rather than just being another #91 or #13 (oh, what sacrilege it would be).

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
#1(Bower and Broda) #10(Apps and Armstrong) #21(Salming) #7(Horton)

Only problem is we won't have any numbers left. I kind of like when a player wears a famous numbers at a club, As long as the player is of similar talent or on a path to be.

That's exactly the problem. For example, look at Montreal (1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,12,16,18,19,23,29,33) or, to a lesser extent, Boston (2,3,4,5,7,8,9,15,24,77).

This doesn't mean that any new scrub can pop on #13, #17, #93, etc. There's obviously an unwritten code that some numbers are a lot more sacred than others, especially those of the more recent stars...numbers who are more ingrained in fans' minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad