Speculation: High-Cap/Low-Salary NHLers to Ottawa

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Steve Warne posted about how we will likely be targetting such deals, so I made a (semi-exhaustive) list of guys who fit the criteria. Sens fans, who would you want? Opposing teams, what would you want for these players (or what would you give to get rid of them? I've ranked them roughly by savings

Listed below in the following format - Player, TEAM (cap hit/salary) - savings:

Andersen, TOR (5/1) - 4m saving - 10 team NTC
Stepan, AZ (6/2) - 4m saving - NMC
Lundqvist, NYR (8.5/4.5) - 4m saving - NMC
Subban, NJD (9/2+8) 8m saving (4m/yr)
Russel, EDM (4/1.5) - 3.5m saving - 15 team NTC
Eriksson, VAN (6.0/1+4) - 7m saving (3.5/yr) - 15 team NTC
Carter, LAK (5.27/2+2) 6.54m saving (3.27m/yr)
Quick, LAK (5.8/3.5+3+2.5) - 8.4m saving (2.8m/yr)
Reimer, CAR (3.4/.85) - 2.55m saving
Nielsen, DET (5.25/2.5+3) - 5m saving (2.5m/yr) - 10 team NTC
Staal, NYR (5.7/3.2) - 2.5m saving - NMC
Raanta, AZ (4.25/2) - 2.25m saving
Alzner, MTL (4.625/1.5+3.5) - 4.25m saving (2.125m/yr) - 7 team NTC
Smith, NYR (4.35/2.35) - 2m saving - 10 team NTC
Demers, AZ (4.5/2.6) - 1.9m saving
Brown, LAK (5.875/4+4) - 3.75m saving (1.875m/yr) - 7 team NTC
Dubnyk, MIN (4.3/2.5) - 1.8m saving - 19 team NTC
Bonino, NSH (4.1/2.4) - 1.7m saving
Komarov, NYI (3/1.5+2) 3m saving (1.5m/yr) - 7 team NTC
Roussel, VAN (3.0/2.5+1.9) - 2.6m saving (1.3/yr) - 8 team NTC
Duchene, NSH (8.0/6yrs6.88m avg) -6.72m saving (1.12m/yr)
Gudbranson, ANA (4/3) - 1m saving
Rinne, NSH (5/4) - 1m saving - 10 team NTC
Palat, TB (5.3/3.4+5.3) - 1.9m saving (950k/yr)
Sutter, VAN (4.375/3.5) - 875k saving - NMC
Johnsson, TOR (3.4/2.6+2.5+2.5) - 2.6m saving (866k/yr)
Helm, DET (3.85/3) 850k saving
Beagle, VAN (3.0/2.2+2.2) - 1.6m saving (800k/yr) - 5 team NTC
Baertschi, VAN (3.36/2.4) - 760k saving
Bozak, STL (5/4.25) -.75m saving - 10 team NTC
Hickey, NYI (2.5/1.25+2.5) - 1.25m saving (.625k/yr)
Gusev, NJD (4.5/4) 500k saving - 8 team NTC
Stralman, FLA (5.5/4.5+5.5) 1m saving (500k/yr) - 16 team NTC
Johnson, PIT (3.25/3+3+2.25) - 1.5m saving (500k/yr)
Ferland, VAN (3.5/3+3.75+2.75) - 1m saving (333k/yr) - NMC
Moore, BOS (2.75/2.25+2.75+2.25) - 1m saving (333k/yr)
Jensen, WSH (2.5/2+3+2) - 500k saving (.133k/yr)
Perreault, WPG (4.125/4) - .125k saving - 5 team NTC
Dzingel, CAR (3.375/3.5)* - negative .125

I included Dzingel because, although he doesnt fit the criteria, he's signed for less than the Sens were willing to offer and, as such, I could see a brief remarriage as Dzingel tries again to earn a contract and a spot as a scoring line player.

If you think someone should be added, please let me know in the format used above. Thanks.

Last edited:

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
La has no cap issues and will not give another asset to get rid of Quick or Carter or Brown. I think all 3 are needed to mentor the younger players coming in

Reactions: go4hockey

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
La has no cap issues and will not give another asset to get rid of Quick or Carter. I think both are needed to mentor the younger players coming in

Yeah, I kinda expected. I would be very interested in either guy regardless of getting assets back (although I wouldnt pay a high price to add em...) but I think LA will hold onto them, as you said

Benning better be getting ahold of Dorion asap

I'm sure he has already!

Raanta and Demers

The three AZ guys are all at the top of my list - not only do they fit the parameters, but theyre all amongst the best players on the list.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for this season, isn't Andersen on the Leafs 5 mil cap hit, 1 mil real salary after signing bonus?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for this season, isn't Andersen on the Leafs 5 mil cap hit, 1 mil real salary after signing bonus?
You are right, I forgot to check goalies on the first few teams and I guess I forgot to go back and check on Toronto (even though I knew that lol). I guess when youre doing a brainless task, you stop using your brain! Edited to include.

I may have also missed some guys on IR and a few guys with lower cap, high term, or just guys who I think have no real chance of being dealt.

Reactions: Fig

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Leo and Hickey and Dal Colle for our 2nd round pick back

Leo has a 7 team NTC though so that might cause an issue since I am guessing he would put Ottawa on there because it's an obvious destination

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Leo and Hickey and Dal Colle for our 2nd round pick back

Sens arent giving up a 2nd for three guys who, at best, will play at the very bottom of our lineup and may well all be extras at some point. Only guy I think would play regularly is Komarov.
There’s some good players on there. I think players like Stepan and Bonino not only add a lot of player value but experience and a good, hard working mentality.

Agreed - both very good players who fit Ottawas needs in multiple ways. Would also open the door to trading Tierney. Wouldnt be surprised if Ottawa was willing to part with a 2nd for one of them.

Didn't bother because he'd never waive for us.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Sens arent giving up a 2nd for three guys who, at best, will play at the very bottom of our lineup and may well all be extras at some point. Only guy I think would play regularly is Komarov.

Fair enough, Leo and Hickey for a bag of pucks then(the late second(from the Pageau trade) was basically for Dal Colle as a reclamation project)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Fair enough, Leo and Hickey for a bag of pucks then(the late second was basically for Dal Colle as a reclamation project)

I kinda like Dal Colle, but not to the tune of a late 2nd. We have a lot of guys competing for spots, especially at F, and I dont think Dal Colle has much upside beyond being a serviceable plug. I'd do Leo & Hix for Mike Reilly or a 5th or something.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lundqvist isn't waiving for Ottawa unless there's a guarantee that they're going to buy him out right away. Beyond Hank, the Rangers aren't in a position where they need to pay teams to take money off their hands. Smith was solid enough in the play-in against Carolina and Staal seems to be destined to finish out his career as a Ranger for better or worse.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Lundqvist isn't waiving for Ottawa unless there's a guarantee that they're going to buy him out right away. Beyond Hank, the Rangers aren't in a position where they need to pay teams to take money off their hands. Smith was solid enough in the play-in against Carolina and Staal seems to be destined to finish out his career as a Ranger for better or worse.

I think we'd probably be receptive to this, under the right circumstances

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
True, didn't realize that. Don't think we'd wanna commit to term for Kerfoot but its feasible.
I just figured if they were sniffing around Johnsson and thought he could work at that price point that they may feel a similar way about Kerfoot. Given age, production so far and position played he would be a comparable player under almost the same contract.

If they score Pietrangelo in FA, both Kerfoot and Johnsson are gone to the highest bidder.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You are right, I forgot to check goalies on the first few teams and I guess I forgot to go back and check on Toronto (even though I knew that lol). I guess when youre doing a brainless task, you stop using your brain! Edited to include.

I may have also missed some guys on IR and a few guys with lower cap, high term, or just guys who I think have no real chance of being dealt.

I only suggested Andersen, because I felt like he would easily be one of the most valuable of these types of contracts out there that many teams would consider seeking.

He's a good player who possibly may shake free and is exceptionally favorable (4 mil difference) for cash vs cap, especially with many teams looking to shore up goal tending. The one year thing is also not a significant problem either and again may be specifically sought out because of impending Seattle expansion implications.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I just figured if they were sniffing around Johnsson and thought he could work at that price point that they may feel a similar way about Kerfoot. Given age, production so far and position played he would be a comparable player under almost the same contract.

If they score Pietrangelo in FA, both Kerfoot and Johnsson are gone to the highest bidder.

Yeah, I get it, but Kerfoot is the last type of player we need. Soft C who is bad on faceoffs and cant really handle heavy DZone deployment. Theres a place for a guy like him, no doubt, but Ottawa will be allocating those roles to Norris, Brown, White, Anisimov, etc. Makes no sense to bring in a player like that while getting rid of Tierney, who has been solid in a heavy DZone role, outproducing Kerfoot with less opportunity and better intangibles. Again, not hating on the player, but the last type of guy I'd be looking to add in Ottawa

I only suggested Andersen, because I felt like he would easily be one of the most valuable of these types of contracts out there that many teams would consider seeking.

He's a good player who possibly may shake free and is exceptionally favorable (4 mil difference) for cash vs cap, especially with many teams looking to shore up goal tending. The one year thing is also not a significant problem either and again may be specifically sought out because of impending Seattle expansion implications.

I'd love to add Andersen and would love to extend him. I have him behind Raanta on my list of goalies I'd be interested in, but he's squarely in #2. Always been a very big fan of his game.

Reactions: Fig

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think we'd probably be receptive to this, under the right circumstances

Still would fall under the high cap & low salary scenario. Would also spread the money out over two years and help them reach the floor next year.

Biggest hurdle then becomes whether or not the Rangers would actually want to pay someone to take Hank off their hands. Not sure what Sens fans would expect that to look like but if it's anywhere remotely close to the Marleau price I can't imagine the Rangers considering it.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You can take any of Eriksson, Beagle or Baertschi from Vancouver, depending on what other assets would have to be indluced with them. Would a 2nd and a 4th in 2021 be enough to move Eriksson?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Still would fall under the high cap & low salary scenario. Would also spread the money out over two years and help them reach the floor next year.

Biggest hurdle is whether or not the Rangers would actually want to pay someone to take Hank off their hands. Not sure what Sens fans would expect that to look like but if it's anywhere remotely close to the Marleau price I can't imagine the Rangers considering it.

I would be receptive to something around Hank with a bit retention + Andersson for Reilly or a late pick, assuming we cant find guys who are high cap low salary that actually fit our team needs and would play for us. Maybe add a pick on either side to add a little more value to Ottawa, to the tune of jumping from the 5th round to the 4th or something like that. I'd want a piece, but nothing marquee. Of course, its not my money.

You can take any of Eriksson, Beagle or Baertschi from Vancouver, depending on what other assets would have to be indluced with them. Would a 2nd and a 4th in 2021 be enough to move Eriksson?

I'd do it, yup. Would have more interest in Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher in lieu of picks, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad