Higgins/Plekanec/Gorges for Lecavalier

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
I think Subban was also part of the offer, at the time he wasn't on the roster yet and not as well known.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Depends who you ask.

Some people are now saying it was Price, Subban, Pacioretty, 10x1st round picks, the rights to the Habs logo, $200000000000 cash and half of Montreal island.

Gros Bonhomme

Benoit Brunet #1 Fan
Jan 21, 2011
Montreal
I don't remember the exact offer but I think that all of those players were said to be available. Heard Subban's name was thrown around too.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Not sure who was the ratard responsible for this offer but it was REALLY bad.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Depends who you ask.

Some people are now saying it was Price, Subban, Pacioretty, 10x1st round picks, the rights to the Habs logo, $200000000000 cash and half of Montreal island.
That's what someone said too... LOL.. not sure if srs.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Why? We wouldn't of traded for Gomez and when you add that into the big picture it looks positively acceptable.

On paper it's a bad deal, considering hindsight, which is what I meant really.

If we'Re going to talk about dominoes falling and what not, that's a different story.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Was this offer legitimately made by the Habs or is this a joke ?
Read it in here on HFB.

That's what the initial rumoured offer was. Than it turned into Price and PK etc. and Lawson eventually made it sound better and better as time went on.

That was the original offer and I probably would have done it. The NHL supposedly rejected the trade die to new ownership and TB losing their most marketable player.

Even in hindsight, I wish we had made this deal.ayne I'm the only one but Vinny still put up some decent numbers and would have helped draw more quality UFAs to Montreal.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
That's what the initial rumoured offer was. Than it turned into Price and PK etc. and Lawson eventually made it sound better and better as time went on.

That was the original offer and I probably would have done it. The NHL supposedly rejected the trade die to new ownership and TB losing their most marketable player.

Even in hindsight, I wish we had made this deal.ayne I'm the only one but Vinny still put up some decent numbers and would have helped draw more quality UFAs to Montreal.

I'm not sure of all the facts but it seemed that part of the ownership group was running around wheeling and dealing and another part of the ownership group didn't want to make the deals. So, Bettman just said no to the deals. I don't think Bettman would just nix a deal just because he didn't like it, there had to be a legal or legitimate reason for saying no.

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
Whatever the offer might have been for Lecavalier, I'm glad it never went through. He's been in serious decline since he signed that huge contract, which I fully expected.

However, when Tampa bought out his contract, I was in favor of signing him for 2-3 years for 4-5 million or so. But definitely not for the contract Philly gave him. Too risky, AND they gave him a NMC.
Speaking of which, what is it with Holmgrem and handing out NMS's like candy ???

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
I'd do the trade. When this fell thru Gainey had to call Sather in a panic and trade McDonagh for Gomez so he'd have a "#1 Centre" going into UFA season. Higgins was traded anyways, you'd have McDonagh who's way better than Gorges

edit: talking about the original higgins, plekanec and gorges for lecavalier rumour

Last edited:

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I'd do the trade. When this fell thru Gainey had to call Sather in a panic and trade McDonagh for Gomez so he'd have a "#1 Centre" going into UFA season. Higgins was traded anyways, you'd have McDonagh who's way better than Gorges

But then we probably wouldn't have Galchenyuk.

I'm happy how it all went down. 1 bad season, 1 amazing player drafted, then a quick division title. And now we're poised to continue making the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

Not bad.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The rumor started because of a leak by Lawton which pissed off Gainey.

The original deal, when the rumor leaked was Gorges, Plekanec Higgins. A couple of years later, the names were changed to Subban, Price Gorges and Plekanec. And then last year, Lawton goes on to claim that he was offered Subban, Pacioretty, Price and Plekanec.

The names involved changed three times.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The rumor started because of a leak by Lawton which pissed off Gainey.

The original deal, when the rumor leaked was Gorges, Plekanec Higgins. A couple of years later, the names were changed to Subban, Price Gorges and Plekanec. And then last year, Lawton goes on to claim that he was offered Subban, Pacioretty, Price and Plekanec.

The names involved changed three times.

Thanks Andy, I knew the original offer was big, but not as big as Lawton later claimed it was.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I think it was:
Subban, Pacioretty, Gorges, 1st pick 2010 (Tinordi) vs Lecavalier

That's the "fake" one, as in Lawton making himself look good on deadline day.

Truth is in the OP, as Gainey himself was pissed that actual roster players were named by the opposing GM.

I for one believe Gainey. The trade "evolved" for entertainement purposes. Look at the deal we had for Hossa: Grabosky, Halak and a 1st. When Waddell came in and wanted Higgins to be added, Bob backed down. Should be a good way to measure what was really offered for Vinny.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It never included Price or Subban or Pacioretty. All three of them were added later by Brian Lawton trying to save face.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I prefer Higgins, Plekanec and Gorges over Lecavalier to be honest

Now? Sure.

But in 2009 he had 67 points in 77 games. Not superstar numbers right?

Still...hard to dispute the 40 goals, 52 assists in 81 games the year prior.

Or maybe the 52 goals, 56 assists in 82 games the year before that.

At the time, Lecavalier was a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad