Hidden/overlooked skills among players on your team

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What are some hidden skills among players on your favourite team (or on a team that you watch a lot)?

Maybe a player is buried far down your depth chart and doesn't get much exposure. Or maybe it's an elite player who doesn't get credit in one specific area, as it's being overshadowed by his other skills.

I'll start with the :ducks

Ryan Getzlaf - He can shoot bullets, both with his slapper and his wrister, but you rarely hear anyone say it. Still doesn't score much, which is probably why.

Ondrej Kase - a 7th round pick in his sophomore year. People who rarely watch the Ducks probably don't know much about him yet. He's got sweet hands and good passing skills from the wing, but what really stands out his speed and quickness. He's gotta be near the top of the league in these aspects.

Chris Wagner - At 6'0"/198 lbs he's no giant. But due to a low center of gravity and sound technique, he can hit as well as anyone. One of the best body checkers I have ever seen on the Ducks. If he was bigger and more consistent with his physical play, he would be an absolute freight train.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Not a Ducks player, but even though he's played a 1000+ games in the NHL, I've never heard anyone give Radim Vrbata credit for his tremendous hand-eye coordination.

This is just one video, but it's a good example.

Knocking the puck out of mid-air, gloving it down and then batting the puck into the net after a bounce off the glass.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I feel like nobody talks about Seth Jones because of how good Werenski is.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Mathieu Perreault is really good at driving play and making other guys better

Nikolaj Ehlers seems to be known for his speed, but he has a great shot as well

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
:jets

Laine gets so much credit for his wicked shot but he never gets enough credit for his passing ability and accuracy when doing so.

Ehlers as mentioned has a great shot but he plays for a team that has other uncanny scorers so he’s kind of hidden within the peices at times and so are his best skills/ assets, one being his shot.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
For the Caps Tom Wilson has always been known as around the league as a hitter and fighter but we are finding out this season that he is a very good skater and has some offensive skill.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I feel like nobody talks about Seth Jones because of how good Werenski is.
I feel like people overrate Werenski because they forget how good Seth Jones is. Sergachev is having a carbon copy season of Werenski's last one. He gets sheltered as he should and produces offensively while playing with great partners on the D. Both are going to be at least very very good, but people sometimes overlook the role of the support they are getting to give them the best chance to succeed and develop. Even more in Werenski's case, 'cause Jones being younger is a least established name that Stralman.

This time around Werenski is less sheltered, but he still is not carrying the defensive load of a Provorov. Again, it is not to diminish his talent. Every team has it's own roster situation and if Philly had a Jones or a Stralman to play with Provorov, I think they would gladly do it.

Overall it is good to see a new generation of real good defencemen. There was a bit of a hole in recent years some top prospects falling short of expectations.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nick Shore actually has fantastic vision and passing.

Kyle Clifford is quietly excellent in puck possession and protection.

Jussi Jokinen, contrary to popular belief, isn't dead.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know how many people know Jesper Fast. But the guy is an amazing bottom 6 player who is a swiss army knife type that can play up and down the lineup but is ideal on the 3rd or 4th line. He also as we're learning this has an excellent shot that he's using more now. Seriously, the guy's shot might be one of the better ones on our team every goal he scores he picks a corner with. He's also on pace for a 50 point season in fewer than 82 games (not sure how many).

I couldn't find the goals he had separately, but at about 2:34 and 2:54 are his two goals against Carolina.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Brad Marchand is incredible at protecting the puck. I think his small size and low center of gravity is actually an advantage for him in this regard. He can stickhandle for days in the opponent's zone with a defenceman draped to his back.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don't know how many people know Jesper Fast. But the guy is an amazing bottom 6 player who is a swiss army knife type that can play up and down the lineup but is ideal on the 3rd or 4th line. He also as we're learning this has an excellent shot that he's using more now. Seriously, the guy's shot might be one of the better ones on our team every goal he scores he picks a corner with. He's also on pace for a 50 point season in fewer than 82 games (not sure how many).

I couldn't find the goals he had separately, but at about 2:34 and 2:54 are his two goals against Carolina.

he’s one of my favorite players. probably the best true 4th liner in the whole league. amazing defense with some offense to him. playing like a 3rd liner this year. his line was dominant last night and he’s been dominant recently. hopefully he gets more exposure he’s just so good. kind of like Jarnkrok who gets tons of exposure. Fast and Zucc are the heart of this team

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
he’s one of my favorite players. probably the best true 4th liner in the whole league. amazing defense with some offense to him. playing like a 3rd liner this year. his line was dominant last night and he’s been dominant recently. hopefully he gets more exposure he’s just so good. kind of like Jarnkrok who gets tons of exposure. Fast and Zucc are the heart of this team

The way he's playing this year if he keeps it up he won't be a true 4th liner much longer.

Reactions: Lays

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Jujhar Khaira - protects the puck along the boards like Jagr. Actually stole it from JJ in the Flames game too.

Draisaitl - his godly backhand saucer pass. Nobody could stop it in junior. His touch pass ability is also elite.

Two former Oilers:

Eberle - his backhand roof wrister.

Smid - before he bulked up to be a "physical D-man" he was a lanky 20 year old who could skate the puck out of the zone like Scott Niedermayer. Thankfully Nurse hasn't bulked up for the sake of it.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
When Mackinnon came in to the league, the opponent dmen started to give extra step or two free space for him just because of unnatural and kinda "hidden"/surprising acceleration and top end speed. He also has as good release on his wrister which is saying alot considering that he was very weak in the all stars competition on shooting and skating vs. real games shooting and skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad