GDT: Hickster Pucksters visit Puckster Hicksters

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I refuse to believe Hainsey and McClement were that good...

The loss of Hainsey was a big hit to the PK. Big veteran presence who could cover some of Faulk's terrible defensive IQ. Canes had #6 PK last year and now have the #29 PK.

Also, the book is out on how to beat the Canes defense. Crowd the net and you will find zero resistance. Nobody is afraid of any individual defender the Canes have. The forwards are too terrible defensively to make anyone pay for being aggressive down low. If a Canes forward does spring a breakaway then they are more likely to drop-pass it to the chasing defender than create any meaningful scoring chance.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I reminded my boss a few minutes ago that I would be leaving an hour early to get to Nashville on time and he looked at me with such pity. At least I think it was pity.
At my employer, the standard practice is to only appoint people stupider than you as your subordinates, so your own mediocrity looks good in comparison. If this was in our company, I would say he was smiling inwards.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Through December 21, 2016, the goalies had a collective shorthanded SV% of ~.941.

NHL.com - Stats

Through December 21, 2017, the goalies have a collective shorthanded SV% of ~.832.

NHL.com - Stats

The team is actually giving up marginally fewer shots shorthanded, on a per game basis, but the SV% is down 100+ points. Ward has had some years where he is now, but Darling is vastly underperforming his career average. Darling is in John Grahame territory right now.

What we saw last year was unsustainably good goaltending shorthanded. I think what we’re seeing this year is unsustainably bad goaltending shorthanded.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Through December 21, 2016, the goalies had a collective shorthanded SV% of ~.941.

NHL.com - Stats

Through December 21, 2017, the goalies have a collective shorthanded SV% of ~.832.

NHL.com - Stats

The team is actually giving up marginally fewer shots shorthanded, on a per game basis, but the SV% is down 100+ points. Ward has had some years where he is now, but Darling is vastly underperforming his career average. Darling is in John Grahame territory right now.

What we saw last year was unsustainably good goaltending shorthanded. I think what we’re seeing this year is unsustainably bad goaltending shorthanded.
If my math is right, that means that if we had a .941 this year on ~120 shots, instead of .832, that would be a difference of 13 less goals (12% of our current GA)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad