HH99'S top 100 2015 prospect ranking and Round 1 Mock Draft

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Hello my fellow members of HFOil! I hope you enjoy!

2015 NHL DRAFT TOP 100 SKATER RANKING (THIS IS NOT A MOCK DRAFT):

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Ivan Provorov
5. Mitchell Marner
6. Dylan Strome
7. Matthew Barzal
8. Zack Werenski
9. Kyle Connor
10. Timo Meier
11. Lawson Crouse
12. Nick Merkley
13. Travis Konecny
14. Jeremy Roy
15. Evgeny Svechnikov
16. Thomas Chabot
17. Brock Boeser
18. Pavel Zacha
19. Denis Guryanov
20. Mikko Rantanen
21. Colin White
22. Joel Eriksson Ek
23. Jakub Zboril
24. Jacob Larsson
25. Jack Roslovic
26. Daniel Sprong
27. Oliver Kylington
28. Anthony Beauvillier
29. Noah Juulsen
30. Jansen Harkins
31. Jeremy Bracco
32. Nicholas meloche
33. Filip Chlapik
34. Tomas Novak
35. Paul Bittner
36. Vince Dunn
37. Christian Fischer
38. Travis Dermott
39. Brandon Carlo
40. Jesper Lindgren
41. Mitch Vande Sompel
42. Nikita Korostelev
43. Ryan Pilon
44. Filip Ahl
45. Mitchell Stephens
46. Jake DeBrusk
47. Lakov Trenin
48. Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson
49. Jens Looke
50. Thomas Schemitsch
51. Jonas Siegenthaler
52. Alexander Dergachyov
53. Rasmus Andersson
54. Dennis Yan
55. Gabriel Carlsson
56. Jordan Greenway
57. Zachary Senyshyn
58. Dymtro Timashov
59. Robin Kovacs
60. Blake Speers
61. Roope Hintz
62. Erik Foley
63. Gabriel Gagne
64. Parker Wotherspoon
65. Julius Nattinen
66. Denis Malgin
67. Guillaume BriseBois
68. Kirill Pilipenko
69. Nicolas Roy
70. Ryan Gropp
71. Nathan Noel
72. Matthew Spencer
73. Conor Garland
74. Graham Knott
75. Glenn Gawdin
76. AJ Greer
77. Erik Cernak
78. Sebastian Aho
79. Kyle Capobianco
80. Ethan Bear
81. Alexandre Carrier
82. Cooper Marody
83. Martins Dzierkals
84. Kay Schweri
85. Loik Leveille
86. Sami Niku
87. Tyler Soy
88. Gustav Bouramman
89. Michael Spacek
90. Adam Musil
91. Austin Wagner
92. Adam Marsh
93. Jeremy Lauzon
94. Brendan Guhle
95. Dante Salituro
96. Ville Vainio
97. Brent Gates
98. Andrew Mangiapane
99. Anthony Cirelli
100. Anthony Richard

ROUND 1 MOCK DRAFT:

1. Edmonton: Connor McDavid: does anything need to be said about the young phenom? His ability to dangle and make plays at top speed are second to none. The scary thing is that he just seems to keep getting better.

2. Buffalo: Jack Eichel: if this were any other year this young man would be the top selection of the draft which makes this an easy decision for Buffalo. Once seen as only an ok skater, Eichel is now a tremendous skater who can get down ice in only a few strides. He is the total package and if his fitness results don't convince you, his stats will.

3. Phoenix: Dylan Strome: do they pick the big #1 C that lit it up? Do they pick the flashy London Knight that some compare to Patrick Kane to go with their other London Knights? Or do they go with the big all round potential 1C? I may not agree with it but I see them picking Strome.

4. Toronto: Mitchell Marner: Toronto gives the fans and media something to get excited about. He's an Ontario boy, a human highlight reel and a sexy pick. What's not to like?

5. Carolina: Noah Hanifin: Pretty easy choice here with the remaining player of the consensus top 5. Him and Faulk will make a fantastic duo for years. Somehow Hanafin has become underrated.

6. New Jersey: Matthew Barzal: Hyped as a potential top 3 pick to start the year, Barzal didn't show that ability until the 2nd half of the season and at the U18 where he dominated. Nj needs this kind of skill and fire power.

7. Philadelphia: Pavel Zacha: Tough choice here. Do you draft Provorov knowing full well that the cupboards are pretty bare on forward? Nah I think they pick the big, immensely skilled Czech who was projected as an easy top 5 choice until his up and down roller coaster season.

8. Columbus: Ivan Provorov: Although they have had a poor history of drafting Russians in the past I think this is a pretty easy selection. Franchise Dman potential.

9. San Jose: Zack Werenski: With not many young dmen in the pipeline that have major upside, San Jose picks the big, offensive American blue liner. He will take over for Burns one day

10. Colorado: Lawson Crouse: Having landeskog on one line and Crouse on the other will give their young, dynamic centers some 2 way play, grit and leadership. Better model than my Oilers.

11. Florida: Mikko Rantanen: If he falls this far this is an easy selection for Florida. A Rantanen-Barkov combination could be disgusting if both reach their potential.

12. Dallas: Kyle Conner: Great leadership and 2 way play for this centreman with the offensive upside to be a #1 center. He's kind of like Toews-lite.

13. Los Angelas: Timo Meier: The Kings love big players right? The big Swiss winger fits that category and will look perfect on Kopitar's wing in a year or 2.

14. Boston: Travis Konecny: Bruins opt for the small but fierce Konecny. Surprisingly gritty to go with his skilled offensive game. He is a fantastic leader and will be a great fit in Boston

15. Calgary: Thomas Chabot: Lots of young fire power up front so the Flames select the smooth, all round Sea Dog half way through the first. His excellent U18 opened a lot of eyes and he'll look nice with Brodie.

16. Edmonton: Evgeny Svechnikov: As an Oiler fans and a big Svechnikov fan I do not agree with this selection for the obvious reasons but this is the player that has been getting the most attention from the Oilers since the combine. Undeniable talent.

17. Winnipeg: Nick Merkley: Is he underrated or is this draft just that deep? Winnipeg selects the dominant Kelowna Rocket that often gets compared to Giroux.

18. Ottawa: Oliver Kylington: The Sens consider a forward but take a risk like they did with another young swede 7 years ago.

19. Detroit: Jakob Zboril: Red Wings gladly select the all round, mobile Zboril. He has an underrated offensive game to go with his checking ability.

20. Minnesota: Brock Boeser: Seems like Minnie takes a home body with every chance they get. Nothing wrong with take the big goal scoring winger here though. One of my draft favorites.

21. Buffalo (from NYI): Denis Guryanov: How about a big, skilled Russian to go along with all those young centermen and Defensemen

22. Washington: Roy: Green is moving on this Summer so why not draft a offensively dominant dman?

23. Vancouver: Jansen Harkins: The Canucks select the blue collar, jack of all trade centerman from BC. Should slide in as a 2C in a couple years. Sprong and Eriksson Ek are likely near the top of their lists too.

24. Toronto (from NSH): Joel Eriksson Ek: The Leafs opt for the big, strong Swedish centerman. Ek seems like the total package with his very good shot, puck skills and 2-way play.

25. Winnipeg (from STL via BUF): Jacob Larsson: after selecting a dominant forward , the jets select a steady rearguard

26. Montreal: Colin white: If it wasn't for mono this guy would have been gone long ago, regardless Montreal is happy to scoop him up.

27. Anaheim: Paul Bittner: How original hey? A big scoring forward drafted by the Ducks... Why mess with something that works?

28. Tampa Bay: Jack Roslovic: Another one of my favourites for the draft and imo one of the most underrated forwards in the draft. Tampa adds to their offensive powerhouse.

29. Philadelphia (from TB): Sprong: With a big skilled center already selected how about a human highlight reel to go with him?

30. Phoenix (from CHI): Ilya Samsonov: Potential franchise goalie to go with that #1 center the Yotes drafted earlier.

Let me know what you think everyone! :)

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Damn you guys are tough ;)

Thanks for having a sense of humor. That's a lot of effort for the thread but unless you have pictures of some of the mods or something I'm not convinced this thread won't be going to be merged up with all the other mock draft threads. Usually there seems to be a mock all thread on the board this time of year. Not that theres anything else going on or that I have any horse in this race. Really anybodies list would be better than the Oilers do. :cry:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for having a sense of humor. That's a lot of effort for the thread but unless you have pictures of some of the mods or something I'm not convinced this thread won't be going to be merged up with all the other mock draft threads. Usually there seems to be a mock all thread on the board this time of year. Not that theres anything else going on or that I have any horse in this race. Really anybodies list would be better than the Oilers do. :cry:

I'm hoping mods will let it stay up since the draft is in a couple days :(

It's fairly quiet here too so i was hoping to change the conversation off of Talbot :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm hoping mods will let it stay up since the draft is in a couple days :(

It's fairly quiet here too so i was hoping to change the conversation off of Talbot :laugh:

It works for me except I've stopped following hockey enough to know who should even be on a top 20 list. :amazed:

I'd give feedback if I could. :laugh:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Hintz and Niku are both a lot higher on my list.

Who are your top 3 goalies this draft?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
So now that I've had a chance to take a closer look at this, I'm curious as to why you dislike the Svechnikov pick for the Oil?

Well although I'm a big Svechnikov fan and have been since October I feel like we should draft a dman in that range just because of how many skilled wingers we already have. I wouldn't be upset or anything just I'm not sure it's our smartest move.

But if we ended up drafting say Juulsen at 33 and then someone like Schemtisch in the 3rd then overall I would be ecstatic. I think it's my lack of faith in our scouting past round 1 and how we always seem to go off board with randoms or BCHL overagers. There's lots of good dmen that will be available in other rounds we just have to stop trying to be the smartest ones in the room. It's a lot of luck yes but also a lot of common sense.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
You like Boeser quite a bit hey?

Anyway, I think I've mentioned before you and I usually seem to see eye-to-eye on these things.

Good job ranking the prospects, honestly from about 25-50 having a tough time

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
You mentioned above you'd prefer a d-man.

Which one would you pick at 16 going off of who's left in your mock?

Actually looking at your ranking's I think the answer's there. Roy?

There's so many players in this draft that sound so good it seems they can't go wrong.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty good list. I don't have a lot of to add really. Rantanen is low but I know why you have him ranked there and a part of me agrees with that reason but seeing him play I really like him. I think it will mostly come down to the developmental path he takes. My hope is that whichever team drafts him will bring him over to North America right away. I think his game already suits the NA model very well (we saw how effective he could be on the smaller surface in the WJC), he just needs some more experience with it and learn all the intricate details. I think he could be the Pastrnak of next year.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Any explanation for why Rantanen ranks so low?

Yup for sure. Rantanen definitely has all the tools but he needs to improve his skating and shot. He also wasn't near as dominant as Barkov or Granlund at the same age. My problem is these highly ranked Fins are taking longer to develop than expected. Granlund from the time he was drafted until he made the NHL was consistently ranked as a top 3 player outside the NHL. Barkov's offense still has yet to come through in NA though I do have faith in him. Panther's fans severely overrate him at this point.

Rantanen has a lot of similarities to fellow fin Joel Armia who was drafted in 2011 16th overall iirc and look how he's done thus far. Obviously these players are all still young but they have been pretty overrated.

DeBrusk goes in the first round 100 percent. I`d be willing to bet 1000 bucks on it :naughty: any takers?

DeBrusk gets consistently ranked at the end of the 1st with some having him as an early 2nd rounder. It's not that I don't like him it's just that I like others more.
You like Boeser quite a bit hey?

Anyway, I think I've mentioned before you and I usually seem to see eye-to-eye on these things.

Good job ranking the prospects, honestly from about 25-50 having a tough time

Thanks I appreciate it! Yes you and I tend to see eye to eye haha and yes I love Boeser, he's probably my favourite prospect for round 1 (followed by Meier and Roslovic). I've been following him since he was about 170 lbs which was probably a year and a half ago. Love the kid, an elite sniper by all accounts.

You mentioned above you'd prefer a d-man.

Which one would you pick at 16 going off of who's left in your mock?

Actually looking at your ranking's I think the answer's there. Roy?

There's so many players in this draft that sound so good it seems they can't go wrong.

I'm a big Roy fan. His skating isn't bad to all the critics but it needs work. I'm also a big Chabot fan and think he is more of the total package than Roy but he lacks the elite offensive ability. I'd be fine with either or! Even Zboril. I like Svechnikov more as a player than any of them though but I feel we need to start drafting highly ranked dmen. I won't be mad with any of these 4 names called.

Pretty good list. I don't have a lot of to add really. Rantanen is low but I know why you have him ranked there and a part of me agrees with that reason but seeing him play I really like him. I think it will mostly come down to the developmental path he takes. My hope is that whichever team drafts him will bring him over to North America right away. I think his game already suits the NA model very well (we saw how effective he could be on the smaller surface in the WJC), he just needs some more experience with it and learn all the intricate details. I think he could be the Pastrnak of next year.

I see too much Joel Armia in him to put Rantanen higher. Are they the same player? No but the are eerily similar in some aspects.

I appreciate your thoughts!

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I'm a big Roy fan. His skating isn't bad to all the critics but it needs work. I'm also a big Chabot fan and think he is more of the total package than Roy but he lacks the elite offensive ability. I'd be fine with either or! Even Zboril. I like Svechnikov more as a player than any of them though but I feel we need to start drafting highly ranked dmen. I won't be mad with any of these 4 names called.

I appreciate your thoughts!

My thoughts precisely. Right now I'd probably have them Roy>Zboril>Chabot>Svechnikov but that's no reflection on Svech.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Sorry HH97 - just out of preference for the Oilers. I agree Svech is the best talent there.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
What happens if Merkley drops to 16? because theres a big chance he does and he only improved as the year went on.

He would have to convert to the wing if he wants top 6 minutes in this organization down the road.

Him and Barzal are my favourite prospects outside McDavid/Eichel in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad