HFSJ Quarantine Survival Trivia Rounds 1-3 (the former single thread)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
j1P4yb.png

j1P7Or.png

Welcome to the first of what I expect will be a few threads and concepts to help get us through these drab, hockey-less times and provide some cure for sports withdrawal and something to talk about that's not coronavirus or the same talk about Vlasic in the roster thread for months ahead.

Up first is this: Trivia!

With a little help from Sporcle, I've assembled a batch of quizzes about a variety of topics relating to the Sharks other Shark adjacent materials. To keep things going for the foreseeable future, I'll be releasing a new quiz every 2 or 3 days for further consumption.

I'll also keep track of a leaderboard for every quiz and for overall performance across all quizzes. With that in mind, I do have a handful of caveats to discuss:

1) Sporcle doesn't track individual user results unless you have an account, and I'm not going to tell anyone here to sign up for an account just for this (unless you want to). So if you want your results tracked for the leaderboard, when you complete a quiz be sure to post your score AND your time (I believe you'll be shown time remaining on the clock when you stop. That's good enough for our purposes, I can make the conversion). If you don't provide both pieces of info I won't be able to attribute your results properly.

2) In order to keep things sporting, I'd like people to use spoiler tags when talking about elements of the quiz that's currently ongoing. That way someone who shows up after day 1 for said quiz doesn't have the advantage of a bunch of people telling them what the answers are inadvertently. Once we switch to a new quiz, it becomes the one necessitating spoiler tags and all previous ones are fair game to talk about openly.

3) To preserve the level playing field, I also ask that everyone approach the contest fairly. This means not researching immediately before/during the quiz and not just attempting to "brute force" questions by filling in as many answers as you can think of in the time you have. Obviously I can't stop anyone, but the intent is to have fun and it kind of undercuts things if someone cheats their way to victory in a silly time-wasting contest.

TIPS FOR ANSWERING QUIZZES

If you've never taken a Sporcle quiz before, it's worth noting a few things about providing answers:

1) In most cases you can get away with just putting in a player's surname or a team's nickname (ie just "Thornton" instead of "Joe Thornton" or "Sharks" instead of "San Jose Sharks". This won't work if there are multiple answers with the same ending (Scott & Joe Thornton, Worcester & San Jose Sharks, etc).

2) Spelling counts. I haven't accounted for every way people might misspell a name, so you have to get it right. "Thornton" not "Thorton", "Vlasic" not "Vlassic" and so forth.

3) If the answer is a number and it doesn't pick up as soon as you type it, try pressing the spacebar. Short numbers seem to have difficulty tripping Sporcle's recognition, so if the answer to a question is, say, "2", press "2" then a space and it should pick up.

4) Some quizzes force you to answer the questions individually. Check if the question appears in large print above the master list and if there are "forward" and "back" buttons to see if this is the case. You must be on the correct question for its answer to be recognized. There is also no penalty to skipping around and answering questions outside of the order presented, so feel free to switch it up as you see fit. These quizzes will be identified in their posts as "specific" rather than "freeform" (Which let you answer all questions out of a single field in any order and without specificity) and are done in cases to prevent over-guessing, control focus on long or awkward questions, or avoid issues with potential duplicate answers (where such things might matter).

5) Make sure to hit the "give up" button if you can no longer answer any of the questions to lock in your finishing time for recording.

j1y5Hc.png

Rk​
Poster _______________________ Pts# Quizzes % Correct
1​
OrrNumber 422 2100%
2​
Quid Pro Clowe17 285%
3​
BigDmitriy14 273%
4​
tiburon1213 280%
5​
pinkfjloyd10 1 96%
t6​
drunksage9 263%
t6​
Lebanezer9 1 92%
8​
Mafoofoo8 188%
9​
hohosaregood5 180%
10​
CupfortheSharks4 176%
11​
NWSharkie2 168%
12​
Powinkle1 164%
13​
LadyStanley1 160%
14​
Barrie221 156%
15​
16​
17​
18​
19​
20​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Overall leaderboard tiebreakers are, in order: 1) # of quizzes participated in, 2) % of questions answered correctly

Quiz Index
#1 - Top 25 Sharks by GP
#2 - Franchise Firsts
#3 - Sharks Captains *ACTIVE QUIZ*

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
j1Pdmv.png

(This banner will be the universal signal of a new quiz being posted, so make note of it when you see it.)

TOPIC (& Link): Top 25 Sharks All-Time by Games Played

Let's start things off fairly simply. You know and love this team? You've watched almost every game? Well then you should be able to name the 25 players who have suited up in teal the greatest number of times (totals should be accurate as of the suspension of this 2019-20 season). No restrictions about position, draft status, acquisition, continuity, consecutive games, or any of that nonsense. If they wore the jersey and played in a game, it counts to the total. That's all that matters.

QUIZ PERIOD: Monday, March 23 through Wednesday, March 25
-------------------------------------------------
Difficulty: 1.5 out of 5
j1f232.png

This is not a particularly difficult quiz. There may be a few stumper/forgotten names that threaten to trip people up, but not so many that I expect people to routinely score terribly. Don't worry though, I've got some absolutely savage topics in the pipeline. :D

Questions: 25

Time Limit: 8 Minutes

Answer Type: Freeform (What I mean is that you are not required to specifically match each player to their GP total. You simply guess a name and if he's on the list he'll show up in the right slot. In the future I won't be providing this explanation on every quiz, so get used to what this format looks like whenever I mention that a quiz is Freeform)

j1yyk1.png

Rk
Poster_________ Score (/25)Time
Points Awarded
1​
OrrNumber4256:4311
2​
Pinkfloyd 24 8:00 10
3​
Lebanezer238:009
4​
Mafoofoo228:008
t5​
Quid Pro Clowe218:007
t5​
BigDmitriy218:007
t7​
hohosaregood208:005
t7​
tiburon12208:005
8​
CupfortheSharks198:004
9​
drunksage188:003
10​
NWSharkie17 5:33 2
11​
Powinkle166:231
12​
LadyStanley15 8:00 1
13​
Barrie22148:001
14​
15​
16​
17​
18​
19​
20​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"Points Awarded" won't be filled in until the quiz period is complete at the end of the 3rd day after this post is made and the leaderboard is finalized. If you don't self-report your time along with your score, I'll assume you took the full duration. And please, for the sake of everyone's fun, be honest. At any time during this thread I reserve the right to be suspicious of a score to be too good to be true and react accordingly.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And we're live!

Also, please ignore that the posts date back to Saturday. I stole a deleted thread I had made previously so that I could set things up off-book before launch. None of this actually got made before tonight (after midnight on what is now technically Monday morning.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
18/25 00:00. Might as well ban me now. Missed these by rank:

6th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 22nd, 25th

I'm actually a little impressed, because I thought for sure the real trap one was going to be:

Melker @ 23

BTW, while I respect the commitment to non-spoilers by using placement #s from the list, I wouldn't worry about going that far. It's hard to talk about players on the list just by what rank they are because a) the quiz doesn't actually give the numerical rank and b) Even I had to pull up my master quiz list to figure out who you were talking about. As long as it's spoilered, mentioning names is fine. Because if someone's going to go so far as to cheat a silly diversionary contest by checking the spoiler tags then it's really beyond being worried about.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Forgot how to spell
Damphousse

22/25 took the full 8min.

Also how the hell did you expect me to know
Melker and Matteau
were on the list

Edit: probably not a good idea to post my results page lmao

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Nice time-pass. Wonderful website. I managed to do it with 1 minute and 17 seconds left.

Number 20 was surprising, 23 was luck, and 25 was desparation.

Would've thought players like Harvey, Norton, Marchment, and Smith would be up there.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I got 14, i could not spell one players name i knew was there so missed out on 15 lol.

So many i should of know but blanked on.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nice time-pass. Wonderful website. I managed to do it with 1 minute and 17 seconds left.

Number 20 was surprising, 23 was luck, and 25 was desparation.

Would've thought players like Harvey, Norton, Marchment, and Smith would be up there.
I guessed Mark Smith, too

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Since name is already out there I won't bother with spoilers, but Mark Smith is 31st all time with 323 games.

Also I'll update the leaderboard in a bit. I hate new-HF's table tags and I'm afraid that if I try to do it on my phone I'll break something.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

When you think about it, while he was with the team for a long time he was often scratched.

Dillon surprised me because I forgot how long he'd been with the team. Perhaps that's because he'd evolved/developed so much in that time.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I got 23. I took all 8 minutes and guessed certain player repeatedly.

I've never heard of Jeff Friesen :sarcasm::shakehead:facepalm:. I also forgot Matteau.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Leaderboard updated. Just so nobody thinks anything is up, the "Time" column is time taken. So if you reported that you took the whole 8 minutes, it reads 8:00 and not 0:00 remaining. Orr #4 said he finishd with 1:17 on the clock, so he took 6:43 and that's what I show.

I got 23. I took all 8 minutes and guessed certain player repeatedly.

I've never heard of Jeff Friesen :sarcasm::shakehead:facepalm:. I also forgot Matteau.

You know what's funny?

For a guy that is actually a little bit forgotten in Sharks history, he's all over the record books for a variety of things.

Point is that Jeff Friesen is waaaaaayyyy better than most of us remember him being.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You know what's funny?

For a guy that is actually a little bit forgotten in Sharks history, he's all over the record books for a variety of things.

Point is that Jeff Friesen is waaaaaayyyy better than most of us remember him being.

I feel like if you were a Sharks fan from 1996-2001, you have to know Friesen. One of the few bright spots on some bad teams (made the team after his draft year thanks to the lockout) and then a top player on some playoff teams. It was pretty much him and Nolan until Marleau developed a bit and the Sharks traded for Damphousse. A tireless worker, under a coach who clearly preferred veterans, Friesen earned a lot of responsibility. The acquisition of Selanne definitely overrode the pain of him leaving, but his first game back was really hyped. One of the few Sharks in history who can claim to be a faster skater than Patrick Marleau.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Since name is already out there I won't bother with spoilers, but Mark Smith is 31st all time with 323 games.

Also I'll update the leaderboard in a bit. I hate new-HF's table tags and I'm afraid that if I try to do it on my phone I'll break something.
My bad. Won't do that again.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I feel like if you were a Sharks fan from 1996-2001, you have to know Friesen. One of the few bright spots on some bad teams (made the team after his draft year thanks to the lockout) and then a top player on some playoff teams. It was pretty much him and Nolan until Marleau developed a bit and the Sharks traded for Damphousse. A tireless worker, under a coach who clearly preferred veterans, Friesen earned a lot of responsibility. The acquisition of Selanne definitely overrode the pain of him leaving, but his first game back was really hyped. One of the few Sharks in history who can claim to be a faster skater than Patrick Marleau.
He was the ultimate professional in his time with the Sharks. There were never questions about his dedication or work ethic. Put up some really respectable point totals on teams that weren't that good offensively, but once he fell off he fell HARD.

I've been a fan since he was drafted. I still tear up a bit when I watch his game 7 ecf series-winning goal and game 7 performance in those finals. His emotional response to being dealt to Anaheim definitely made me root for him in whatever uniform he was in.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
21/25- 8 Minutes
I missed Hertl and Douglas Murray- two of my faves. I still think of Hertl as a teenager. Despite injuries, he's put up a good number of games. Also missed Matteau and Rags- which I never would have been able to spell.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I gave up after like 5 minutes. So I guess that sorta counts as 8 minutes right?

Nope, it would count as 5 minutes. The time isn't just for anyone who finishes, it's the tiebreaker for anyone else with the same score. I guess in a way it kind of encourages quitting early, but it also gives an advantage to someone who can get 20 names in 5 minutes over someone that gets 20 but takes the whole time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad