Tribute HF's Webmaster Buffaloed has passed

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I have just learned earlier today of the passing of one of the longest serving Members of HF - @Buffaloed .

I wanted to take a few moments to express my appreciation for what @Fenway & @Gee Wally have done from my limited perspective of a few years.

Life is fleeting and uncertain. I think it’s better to show love & gratitude to the living than remembering after they’re gone.

Thank you for what you have done on HF & continue to do.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I have just learned earlier today of the passing of one of the longest serving Members of HF - @Buffaloed .

I wanted to take a few moments to express my appreciation for what @Fenway & @Gee Wally have done from my limited perspective of a few years.

Life is fleeting and uncertain. I think it’s better to show love & gratitude to the living than remembering after they’re gone.

Thank you for what you have done on HF & continue to do.
this is why our board is not near, if not one of the most frequented team boards since this forum was created.... it's interesting to hear how and where this site began even modestly and why it's become what it's become despite the challenges and the obviously IT Challenges this forum has faced for all.

it wasn't easy for @Fenway TO relay these messages to the rest of the boards over how many members we've lost, whether it's team related or site related....

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thank you Fenway and Gee Wally for all you do. It is admirable how much time, effort and care you put into maintaining the board, along with the other moderators as well. It is true, we need to show our support more often and not take it for granted.

RIP Buffaloed, condolences to family and friends.

Life is short and can be very difficult. Please be kind to others, the world would be a much better place if we all had more compassion and understanding. Our moderators and contributors to GDTs, etc., put so much work into keeping the board going, I appreciate every bit of that work you do.

Thanks again.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Wally and Fenway are the best. We are very lucky to have them both.

When I saw Fenway's avatar (which had been @Buffalowed's) I knew. The Buffalo board has always seemed (to me) like a great board and I feel for them

I don't know about the other HF home boards, but the Boston board does feel like family (even though some drive me crazy).

I posted on the Buffalo board when I saw that they lost one of their leaders. I remember reading posts from @Buffalowed. HF has lost another good one.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wally and Fenway are the best. We are very lucky to have them both.

When I saw Fenway's avatar (which had been @Buffalowed's) I knew. The Buffalo board has always seemed (to me) like a great board and I feel for them

I don't know about the other HF home boards, but the Boston board does feel like family (even though some drive me crazy).

I posted on the Buffalo board when I saw that they lost one of their leaders. I remember reading posts from @Buffalowed. HF has lost another good one.

I want to be clear about this - Buffaloed was the top boss at HF

Buffaloed chose to stay in the background and as a rule did not interact with members except on the Sabres board. @Gee Wally can attest that he built this community into what it has become.

He alone dealt with our ownership and our tech support team in Mexico.

NOBODY was more frustrated when the board crashed than him. He knew when the board was going to be swamped especially from our members in the 416 but tech ops would always say let's see what happens. Occasionally something would happen with the Leafs and users would come out of the sewers one prime example was when the Leafs lost to a Zamboni driver. :laugh:

He will be impossible to replace.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Thanks @Gee Wally and @Fenway -- not only for all you do, but for letting us know what huge impact Buffaloed had. I remember seeing his name, but did not know he was so pivotal at HF.

I think about how much information I get from HF Boards. How much enjoyment. How much better I feel if I can vent my spleen at times. How many times posting and reading posts makes me laugh. It's amazing. It would be a huge loss to me if HF Boards didn't exist. Again my immense thanks and appreciation to people like Wally, Fenway, and Buffaloed.

My condolences to Buffaloed's family and friends. God speed.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thanks for kind words. But as @Fenway said this can not be understated. Buffaloed was the architect and builder of these boards. From day 1 to his very last day. He wasnt one for limelight or kudos. Matter of fact he’d hate this attention. But it is important. It should be known that it is he we should all be grateful for. And this , for me hurts. His passing

Heres what I posted on the Mod Board for those that dont know the history.

I’ve been dreading this for months.

Where to start? …… at the beginning I suppose.

Joe and I first ‘met’ here in the 1990s. Back when the Taylor brothers started this small site Hockeys Future. None of us ever thought it would become what it is today. No chance.
It was strictly write up articles and what we call the main board. Lucky if we had a few dozen posters daily.
Up against power houses like ESPN, AOL, publication sites, etc.

Why is that important? Because it was when Joe was put at the helm as the numero uno Admin we started to grow and grow.
The team boards were launched. Joe with Mod of Sabres. Me with Bruins. A gentleman named Ken handled everything. But he was moreso into the articles. It wasnt long before we needed a second division if you will to Admin the boards. That was Joe.
He quickly realized it was a big task. More than an individual could handle. He asked me to come on board as his second.
My first assignment was drafting the original site rules. Most as what we see today.
Then Id handle registrations daily. It was all manual.
When he went on annual holiday to Mexico he’d leave the day to day with me while Ken took care of any overall site tech things to help an idiot like me.

The years passed. Joe and I always had , even though some may think otherwise, a very good relationship. Like all friends we’d butt heads. We both have tempers. But our bark is worse than our bite. Resolution came many times with phone calls. As the spoken word always conveys a better message than written.

Those calls could be heated . But damn near everytime ended in laughter. I will now forever miss that voice.

Life got in the way for a spell with me raising a family. I stepped down from my Admin role and our beloved Barb/ Fugu stepped in. What a great decision on his part.

Bottom line is Joe was here for every single thought, change, and decision that made this place the community that it is. No doubt in my mind.

To say I will miss him is the understatement of all time here. He created something that became part of the fabric of my life. More than that he was my friend.

God bless you Joe. I love you.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I want to share a personal story about Joe

Just before Christmas last year I caught a nasty strain of a rhinovirus that put me into Mass General Hospital for 8 days. The day after the Bills beat the Patriots a nurse comes into my room with a Wegmans shopping bag and said your food arrived and I am dumbfounded as I hadn't ordered anything.

The bag contained a meatloaf dinner and a Beef on Kimmelweck sandwich with a note saying Wegmans uses Charlie the Butcher - this should be better than hospital food. - Buff

He took a liking to me as he knew I was familiar with WNY even though I was from Boston.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Thanks for kind words. But as @Fenway said this can not be understated. Buffaloed was the architect and builder of these boards. From day 1 to his very last day. He wasnt one for limelight or kudos. Matter of fact he’d hate this attention. But it is important. It should be known that it is he we should all be grateful for. And this , for me hurts. His passing

Heres what I posted on the Mod Board for those that dont know the history.
Sorry for your (and our) loss Wally.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I am very grateful for his vision and dedication to the creation of this forum ... that passion has touched the lives of so many people without them ever knowing the man.
May his family and friends find peace and understanding during this time of loss; and may his legacy endure.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Had a Beef on Weck today in his honor

1660595376505.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad