• Cat People (Tourneur, 1942)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • House of Wax (De Toth, 1953)

• The Descent (Marshall, 2005)

• Pan's Labyrinth (del Toro, 2006)

• Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008)

• The Cabin In the Woods (Goddard, 2011)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
We've got a tie at #4 with two John Carpenter films. Coincidence, it's two Tobe Hooper films that get in to replace them: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was next in line for the 70s and Poltergeist was for the 80s.

So, ladies and (mostly) gentlemen, we've got a top-5 - halfway there:

HF's best horror films of all-time
1) Alien (Scott, 1979)
2) The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
3) The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973)
T4) The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)
T4) Halloween (Carpenter, 1978)

halloween-alternative-movie-poster-christopher-ables.jpg

f5c71f6ab141c28133b42236bab418a8.jpg

Past decade polls:

Best horror film of the 2010s
Best horror film of the 2000s
Best horror film of the 90s
Best horror film of the 80s
Best horror film of the 70s
Best horror film of the 60s
Best horror film of the 40s & 50s
Best horror film of the 20s & 30s

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nosferatu and Les Diaboliques. I'm getting predictable.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Let's stimulate the vote!

Nothing against The VVitch winning 6th spot (another film that probably wouldn't be in my top-50), but not with only 3 votes!!!

To stimulate the vote, I'll be sending random participants in the poll a link to download this b-movie masterpiece:

047ffba6a23dc48634e992ea7d632754.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Am I the only person in world who thinks the Exorcist is overrated?

Seriously

Also show George some love with Night or Dawn

I often feel like the only person who doesn't appreciate Romero or Night of the Living Dead.

I found a lot of it unintentionally funny. A waste of pea soup.

I similarly have trouble taking zombie movies seriously. The thought of corpses mindlessly walking into things and towards people who can easily run away or fend them off has always seemed a bit unintentionally funny to me. I guess that a lot of horror can be if you have trouble buying into the premise, though.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I often feel like the only person who doesn't appreciate Romero or Night of the Living Dead.

Romero's a pretty bad director overall, but he got more than a few strokes of genius, first with NOTLD, and afterwards again throughout the 70s (to me, Dawn of the Dead is a top-10 horror films of all-time, Martin is probably my favorite "vampire" movie, and both The Crazies and Season of the Witch were A+ relevant films too, if not complete success). The 80s came and he was done.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Romero's a pretty bad director overall, but he got more than a few strokes of genius, first with NOTLD, and afterwards again throughout the 70s (to me, Dawn of the Dead is a top-10 horror films of all-time, Martin is probably my favorite "vampire" movie, and both The Crazies and Season of the Witch were A+ relevant films too, if not complete success). The 80s came and he was done.

Creepshow and Day of the Dead were great

Knighriders was,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Unique is all I will say on that film

It was Monkey Shines when he started to fall off

Bruiser was when he fell off cliff (I hated that f***ing movie) with only Land of Dead being watchable but still as far as I am concerned Day of the Dead is essentially the end of Romero as a top tier horror director

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Creepshow and Day of the Dead were great

Knighriders was,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Unique is all I will say on that film

It was Monkey Shines when he started to fall off

Bruiser was when he fell off cliff (I hated that f***ing movie) with only Land of Dead being watchable but still as far as I am concerned Day of the Dead is essentially the end of Romero as a top tier horror director

I'll give you that both Creepshow and Day of the Dead were really fun films. They're still light years from the kind of horror his dark, pessimistic 70s production offered. To me, Knightriders made it clear that he was not (or no more) the guy who had something to say that his previous films lead us to believe he was. The rest just followed.

I have never seen Bruiser!! Just looked at the storyline on IMDB and it looks like maybe he tried to go back at being quasi-meaningful? Too little too late? I'm really curious now!

member 51464

I don't know what I consider it, but you're right that it's a stretch to call it horror.
I know myself and at least a couple others just chose it as their favorite movie in the list of movies but didn't think it was horror. Seems too late for a do-over, though. haha

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I know myself and at least a couple others just chose it as their favorite movie in the list of movies but didn't think it was horror. Seems too late for a do-over, though. haha
It's part of most lists of best horror films, so no problem. The whole 90s poll was weird.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't know what I consider it, but you're right that it's a stretch to call it horror.

Except for John Doe's execution at the end of the film, I don't believe they show any of the murders taking place... which seems like a prerequisite for a horror film

member 51464

It's part of most lists of best horror films, so no problem. The whole 90s poll was weird.
Really? I have never seen it on one. I am surprised that you have seen it on most you have seen.

Between imdb and Rottentomatoes it is called drama, mystery, suspense, or crime. The wiki says neo-noir psychological crime thriller film.

Even going to random lists of best horror films or lists of horror films by year or decade, I don't see it anywhere:

BEST HORROR MOVIES OF ALL TIME - IMDb

List of horror films of 1995 - Wikipedia

I find it very interesting! But agreed the 90s was weird polling wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad