HF's Team Board Mock Draft

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Hey everybody. There's always variations of these every year on this site. The idea is to try to reach a consensus for who each team might pick would the fans of that team be in control.

We had one going about a month ago but unfortunately the user stopped polling teams. Rather than continuing his, I'm starting another mock draft, going team to team. Opinions may have changed from then till now anyway.

We have roughly 20 days left until the draft, which means there will only be 24 hours to select each player. Obviously, we're only looking for the fans of each team to vote on their pick.

Caps fans, you have the 13th overall pick

1. :panthers D Aaron Ekblad 85.71%
2. :sabres C Sam Reinhart 56.32%
3. :edmonton C Sam Bennett 63.06%
4. :flames C Leon Draisaitl 71.05%
5. :isles C/LW Michael Dal Colle 68.83%
6. :nucks LW Nikolaj Ehlers Auto'ed
7. :canes RW Nick Ritchie 52.94%
8. :leafs C/LW William Nylander 68.46%
9. :jets C/LW Jake Virtanen 35.09%
10. :ducks2 LW Kasperi Kapanen 21.74%
11. :nashville LW Brendan Perlini 32.35%
12. :coyotes C/LW Robby Fabbri 50%
13. :caps ???
14. :stars
15. :wings
16. :cbj
17. :flyers
18. :wild
19. :bolts
20. :sharks

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I went with C/RW Alex Tuch in hopes he can become the big body #2C the team has been missing for so long. Its been so long we are just happy to have a real center in that spot. Never mind one that can really play the role.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Fluery. IMO Trotz will turn him into a solid player. Will learn from Alzner and hopefully be playing behind him in two years.

Alzner-Carlson
Fluery-Orlov
????-Bowey

Or if Bowey is the real deal no rush on Fluery just yet.

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Bowey
Fluery-Carrick/other options.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Fluery. IMO Trotz will turn him into a solid player. Will learn from Alzner and hopefully be playing behind him in two years.

Alzner-Carlson
Fluery-Orlov
????-Bowey

Or if Bowey is the real deal no rush on Fluery just yet.

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Bowey
Fluery-Carrick/other options.

Fleury - Bowey is a great fit together.

I like Carrick, I really do, but I don't see where he fits 2-3 years from now if Caps pick Fleury. It'd take some big trade.

Alzner-Carlson
Fleury-Bowey
Orlov-Wey

Orlov-Wey I think will be a great third pairing, very mobile and physical.

Liberati0n*

Fleury, but even if he's there I'm leaning towards trading down slightly and taking Barbashev.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I went with C/RW Alex Tuch in hopes he can become the big body #2C the team has been missing for so long. Its been so long we are just happy to have a real center in that spot. Never mind one that can really play the role.
I don't think Tuch profiles as a center.

Fleury. Fiala is the main temptation there or a slight trade down to take one of the natural centers (Barbashev/Larkin/McCann).

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
why was vancouvers auto'd. from the looks of it nylander won.

"Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Why was Ehlers auto'd for vancouver?
The mods over there decided to delete my thread because they had already done their own vote, which I've linked under Ehler's name

Silly thing to do I thought because everyone else is getting 1 day to vote on their pick

Anyway, from what I remember before the thread was deleted Ehlers was in the lead with Nylander close behind him"

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Fleury - Bowey is a great fit together.

I like Carrick, I really do, but I don't see where he fits 2-3 years from now if Caps pick Fleury. It'd take some big trade.

Alzner-Carlson
Fleury-Bowey
Orlov-Wey

Orlov-Wey I think will be a great third pairing, very mobile and physical.

You don't think Orlov will ever be more then a 3rd pairing defensivemen?

Liberati0n*

Not on a Cup contender IMO.

Why will Bowey be, then? What I've read makes me think he has less two-way potential than Orlov. Maybe his offensive ceiling is higher, but I don't know.

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
I think I'm the only one on the Sonny Milano bandwagon. Also, I wish Sanheim wasn't such a fast riser. I would have loved for us to to pick him at #44.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think I'm the only one on the Sonny Milano bandwagon. Also, I wish Sanheim wasn't such a fast riser. I would have loved for us to to pick him at #44.

Well Cush and myself voted for him in this poll. Was kinda high on him at the time. I kinda like the 13th pick as I tend to like most of the player slotted in the 10-20 range. Every week I sort of have a new favorite.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Why will Bowey be, then? What I've read makes me think he has less two-way potential than Orlov. Maybe his offensive ceiling is higher, but I don't know.

I watched Bowey quite a bit last year and what stood out at me is athletic ability. With the speed and strength he's got, under adequate coaching he can be top-4.

Orlov isn't as athletic (though he's fast and strong, too, but at 19 he wasn't as fast and as strong as Bowey is), and I think with him the adequate coaching ship kinda sailed.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I watched Bowey quite a bit last year and what stood out at me is athletic ability. With the speed and strength he's got, under adequate coaching he can be top-4.

Orlov isn't as athletic (though he's fast and strong, too, but at 19 he wasn't as fast and as strong as Bowey is), and I think with him the adequate coaching ship kinda sailed.

While Orlov might not be strong, you're saying Bowey is faster? I think Orlov looks like a top 4 offensive D. Never a #1 guy but easily a 3 or a 4 guy. His offensive upside, if he ever hits it, is sky high as well.

Is it you just don't think as highly of Orlov or do you really see Bowey as that good a prospect?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I think Orlov has top pair ceiling based largely around his offensive ability. The new mold for defensemen is "get the puck and go the other way" and he's already one of the best on the team at going the other way. He could stand to learn to pivot properly on the left side. He's currently the Derek Zoolander of defensemen.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Orlov is only about to be 23. There's plenty of time for him to put it together with competent coaching. It's hard to compare the two at the same age. Next year will be telling for Bowey. He had a big post-draft year but I'd look for him to evolve in areas that he can get away with in junior but will be issues for him at the next level.

Bowey has the size/strength advantage but his use of it is way more awkward in comparison. Orlov was and is the way more assertive player physically and that overall competitiveness stands out for me relative to Bowey to this point. The trajectory of Bowey's development to-date is more impressive than Orlov's overall but it's also way earlier in the game for him.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I think Orlov has top pair ceiling based largely around his offensive ability. The new mold for defensemen is "get the puck and go the other way" and he's already one of the best on the team at going the other way. He could stand to learn to pivot properly on the left side. He's currently the Derek Zoolander of defensemen.

I agree, Orlovs already very skilled at skating the puck out of traffic. That's even with the Caps chaotic breakout approach. I think with more structure on the breakouts next year it will benefit him as well

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
While Orlov might not be strong, you're saying Bowey is faster? I think Orlov looks like a top 4 offensive D. Never a #1 guy but easily a 3 or a 4 guy. His offensive upside, if he ever hits it, is sky high as well.

Is it you just don't think as highly of Orlov or do you really see Bowey as that good a prospect?

I said that he's not a top-4 guy on a contender. Definitely he's a top-4 D on a team like the current Caps.

But to be a contender, you need to have some depth and I think if Orlov is your #5 you can say your D is Stanley Cup-caliber or close to it. In fact, Orlov-Wey maybe not next year but in 2015 would be Stanley Cup-caliber third pairing.

Yeah, I really like Bowey. He's clearly not NHL-ready but he's gonna be really good.

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Well Cush and myself voted for him in this poll. Was kinda high on him at the time. I kinda like the 13th pick as I tend to like most of the player slotted in the 10-20 range. Every week I sort of have a new favorite.

Ya, I hear you about that. Lots of intriguing forwards that I would be pleased with us taking. I'd rather we wait until #44 to pick a defenseman (like Vanier or Middleton) but picking Fleury wouldn't be the end of the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad