Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 22/23 Version

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
In past offseasons I've run some polls to see how HFPens would assemble the lineup. It helps pass the time and keep some conversations moving along. Last time we did these polls was for the 2021 season. I plan on doing those polls again sometime soon.

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. Options will be based on current (August 19, 2022) health. All seem to be healthy.
  5. Unless listed as a 'LD/RD' on CapFriendly the defensemen will play on their "correct" side. This means Rutta, Ty Smith, Friedman, and Ouellet can play either side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL/AHL level. For example, I will not be listing Hallander as an option for the third line center. But DOC and Zohorna will be options for 3C.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I may not be able to include everyone as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though.
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
  9. I will be working my way "down" the lineup. If the cap is exceeded at a 22-man roster that is where the polls will end.
Let me know of questions, concerns, or objections.

The 2021 Starting Lineup as per HFPens:

Zucker (100%) - Crosby - Kapanen (77%)
Guentzel (66%) - Malkin - Rust (97%)
McCann (94%) - Blueger (67%) - Tanev (59%) [54% for this winger pairing]
Rodrigues (54%) - Jankowski (89%) - Sceviour (82%)
Lafferty (89%)
IR: ZAR

Dumoulin (100%) - Letang
Matheson (56%) - Marino
Pettersson (97%) - Riikola (63%) [60% vote for this pairing]
Ceci / Ruhwedel

Jarry - DeSmith

Order of the polls:
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 20/21 Version​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Jake Guentzel​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Third Line Center​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Marino's Partner​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Give Sid a RW​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Letang's Partner​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Zucker​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Rust​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 3rd Line Wingers​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 3rd Defense Pairing​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 4th Line Center​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 4th Line Wingers​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Runoff Vote - 4th Line LW​
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Extra Forward​

What it actually was:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let's do it. Should be pretty straightforward until the 4th line and 3rd pairing. Maybe be discussing 2LW but we'll let the polls take care of it.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker - Malkin - Rakell
Heinen - Carter - Kapanen
Zohorna - Bleuger - McGinn
Archibald

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
Rudwedel - Ruttta
POJ - Freidman

Jarry - Desmith

Can we add a poll that asks "Who was the more forgettable Penguins - Spaling or Sceviour"?

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Let's do it. Should be pretty straightforward until the 4th line and 3rd pairing. Maybe be discussing 2LW but we'll let the polls take care of it.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker - Malkin - Rakell
Heinen - Carter - Kapanen
Zohorna - Bleuger - McGinn
Archibald

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
Rudwedel - Ruttta
POJ - Freidman

Jarry - Desmith

Can we add a poll that asks "Who was the more forgettable Penguins - Spaling or Sceviour"?

How dare you forget about Payling.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Heinen - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Blueger - Kapanen
Zohorna - Carter - McGinn
Poehling

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Smith

Jarry - DeSmith

I don't know who should be 3LD or the spare F, but I gotta list something. Whoever earns it in camp would be ideal.
Don't want Smith being sent down if he outperforms the rest, just because of waivers exemption.
POJ can't be demoted or he'd get claimed. Unacceptable.
Don't wanna lose Poehling the same way either. There's some scoring upside there. He needs to be one of the 13.

Last edited:

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Hope this isn’t a stupid question, but I didn’t see the answer anywhere! Will this be a digital poll or a physical poll with paper ballots or whatever? Thanks in advance!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Heinen - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Carter - Kapanen
Zohorna - Blueger - McGinn
Poehling

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What I would like to see to start the season, which is not what MS will do lol…

Zucker-Sid-Rakell
Jake-Geno-Rust
Heinen-Carter-Kap
DOC/Poehling-Blue-McGinn
DOC/Poehling Zohorna

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruh

i haven’t seen enough of Poehling to say anything…I’d also prefer it if Carter decided to twist his ankle and go on LTIR for half the season so we could see Blue at 3C and have both DOC and Poehling playing at the same time…more young people in the lineup and scratch 37 year old…novel concept

Reactions: Rudy Russo

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What I would like to see to start the season, which is not what MS will do lol…

Zucker-Sid-Rakell
Jake-Geno-Rust
Heinen-Carter-Kap
DOC/Poehling-Blue-McGinn
DOC/Poehling Zohorna

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruh

i haven’t seen enough of Poehling to say anything…I’d also prefer it if Carter decided to twist his ankle and go on LTIR for half the season so we could see Blue at 3C and have both DOC and Poehling playing at the same time…more young people in the lineup and scratch 37 year old…novel concept
I don't think that team is cap compliant.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think that team is cap compliant.

yeah, I kept a 14th forward…probably DOC going down since hes waiver exempt if he can’t beat out Poehling, or Zohorna is waived if he can’t win a 12th forward spot…

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sully will roll with the same old.

GCR
Zucker 71 Rakell
Heinen Carter Kap
McGinn Blueger Archibald

Tanger Dumo
Pettersson Petry
Ruh Rutta
PoJ

Jarry - DeCrap

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't be surprised if they traded POJ during pre-season if Smith is outperforming him. Smith being waiver exempt does suggest he'd go down to WBS, but I really doubt they'd keep POJ on the team if his play doesn't warrant it.

My expectation right now is:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Rakell
Heinen-Carter-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Archibald
Poehling

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
POJ/Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Heinen-Malkin-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
Poehling-Blueger-McGinn
Zohorna

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

And give that 3rd line around 4th line minutes, for various reasons for each guy. Maybe try Carter + Kap as your 2nd PK duo, see if we can get any chemistry. But more likely I'd guess Poehling, he will need to PK to play here.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
The following lineup may look funny at first but I will explain why it is so good:

Carter Crosby Rakell - Rakell looked great with Sid. Carter is still an ok 3c but i like his shot still lets see if sid and red eye rickey can find him
Guentzel Malkin Rust - this line will probably be the best in hockey. Malkin will probably look better with Guentzel and Rust than he did with Zucker and Kapanen. I wonder why?
Heinen Blueger Kapanen - hbk lines work out well for the penguins
Zucker Poehling McGinn - this line is a mix of bad players and suck but less sucky than other 4th lines around the nhl

Pettersson Letang dumo is fat and only cares about expensive wine now. Not qualities of a 1d IMO
Dumoulin Petry maybe it might work
Smith Rutta seems better than ruhwedel and poj or friedman

Jarry DeSmith these are our goalies

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The following lineup may look funny at first but I will explain why it is so good:

Carter Crosby Rakell - Rakell looked great with Sid. Carter is still an ok 3c but i like his shot still lets see if sid and red eye rickey can find him
Guentzel Malkin Rust - this line will probably be the best in hockey. Malkin will probably look better with Guentzel and Rust than he did with Zucker and Kapanen. I wonder why?
Heinen Blueger Kapanen - hbk lines work out well for the penguins
Zucker Poehling McGinn - this line is a mix of bad players and suck but less sucky than other 4th lines around the nhl

Pettersson Letang dumo is fat and only cares about expensive wine now. Not qualities of a 1d IMO
Dumoulin Petry maybe it might work
Smith Rutta seems better than ruhwedel and poj or friedman

Jarry DeSmith these are our goalies
I know this is a joke, knowing you, but anyone who still thinks Carter can and should play on L1 with those minutes, should schedule an eye exam…even Carter’s family doesn’t think he’s capable of playing on L1 lol…I was seriously thinking of moving him to L4 in my lineup lol

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Trying something new:

Zucker-Crosby-Rakell
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Poehling-Blueger-Rust
DOC-Carter-Heinen
McGinn

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Friedman

Jarry-DeSmith

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I know this is a joke, knowing you, but anyone who still thinks Carter can and should play on L1 with those minutes, should schedule an eye exam…even Carter’s family doesn’t think he’s capable of playing on L1 lol…I was seriously thinking of moving him to L4 in my lineup lol
You have Zucker on line 1 lol

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Zucker's game doesn't fall apart with the minutes. Granted his body tends to fall apart too often for it to matter, but he can actually do it.
I guess. They are both 40~ point players at this point in their career. Probably makes more sense to keep Carter at his natural position, but I think it would be interesting to try something new and I don’t like Zucker.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess. They are both 40~ point players at this point in their career. Probably makes more sense to keep Carter at his natural position, but I think it would be interesting to try something new and I don’t like Zucker.

I feel like we saw plenty of Carter on the wing last year and it wasn't great.

Also I think Zucker's best was with Sid and I wish it was likely to happen.

Reactions: Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Spitballing, but would be interested in seeing

Rakell-Sid-Rust
Jake-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker-Carter-Heinen
Zohorna-Blueger-McGinn
DOC/Poehling

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Ruh

Jarry
DeSmith

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

this debate just tells us how desperately we need to sign a good top six LW…or even RW…when can we get in on the P.Kane deadline sale…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad