Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 22/23 - Third Line Center

Who do you want as the third line center?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Poll #7: Who do you want as the third line center? Vote for what you want to see. Write in votes for players that the Penguins already have acquired are welcome but if you vote twice neither vote will count.

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. Options will be based on (August 19, 2022) health. All seem to be healthy.
  5. Unless listed as a 'LD/RD' on CapFriendly the defensemen will play on their "correct" side. This means Rutta, Ty Smith, Friedman, and Ouellet can play either side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL/AHL level. For example, I will not be listing Hallander as an option for the third line center. But DOC and Zohorna will be options for 3C.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I may not be able to include everyone as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though.
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
  9. I will be working my way "down" the lineup. If the cap is exceeded at a 22-man roster that is where the polls will end.
  10. Petry is the 2 RD.
Let me know of questions, concerns, or objections.

Current HFPens Line Combo:

Guentzel (63%) - Crosby - Rakell (54%)
Zucker (47%) - Malkin - Rust (83%)
- -
- -

Dumoulin (81%) - Letang
Pettersson (81%) - Petry
-

Jarry - DeSmith

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m not even a huge Blueger fan but I voted for him for a variety of reasons, including that I don’t think Carter will ever be used properly by Sullivan and he’s not a defensive stalwart which seems to me more how Sullivan plays L3…more importantly, Blueger is a UFA and let’s see what we have with him playing a more offensive role with much better offensive linemates like Carter on his RW, or Kap

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Carter. If he can't handle it, I'd like to find out quick.

Although I'd also like to see the lines have a 3a-3b vibe where the line getting the most usage is decided situationally.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Although I'd also like to see the lines have a 3a-3b vibe where the line getting the most usage is decided situationally.

You could have just quoted me and said, "This". :cf:

Reactions: Peat

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Should be Zucker/Carter/Kapanen and then just don't play them much so they can survive and/or not ruin everything.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Carter, BUT….

It’s imperative we limit his minutes. No PK time for Cartsy other than maybe the odd face off if it’s a crucial part of the game. Need to increase his efficacy & consistency 5 on 5.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I want Carter with Kapanen to start. See if the bond they formed a bit last year helps Kapanen get going and gain some confidence.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I mean Poehling and DOC are the same age and Poehling significantly out produced him last year.

Why wouldn't we give Poehling a shot first?

Kinda reminds me of the people that think POJ is going to start in the D line-up above Smith.
Ya I have more belief in Poehling based on draft status and NHL initial success compares to DOC. He also will be coming to a better team from garbage.

I hope both can contribute but DOC and his waiver exempt status makes him almost definite to start in WBS.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Tools. Tools is the difference that will dictate the upside and potential.

Fine, so DOC is a late bloomer who didn’t have the traditional development path like Poehling did. That means absolutely nothing in terms of how these guys end up and who ultimately becomes the better player.

I’ll be very happy if Poehling becomes a good and regular 4th liner in our lineup — and I think the acquisition price of a 4th round pick reflects both the Penguins and Canadiens evaluating him in that category.

DOC, however, if he only becomes a 4th liner, I’d consider that a disappointment. With his tools, he should be an a over average 3rd liner at the very least.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Rakell isn't on L1, I want Rakell - Malkin - Kapanen.

If Rakell is on L1, I'd go..

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
McGinn - Carter - Kapanen
Poehling - Blueger - Heinen

Zucker-Rust has been an awful duo with Malkin…If your first option isn’t tried, or Zucker-Rakell with Rust on L1, then I’d rather have Heinen-Rust with Geno…

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Zucker-Rust has been an awful duo with Malkin…If your first option is tried, or Zucker-Rakell with Rust on L1, then I’d rather have Heinen-Rust with Geno…

We’ve only seen Zucker - Malkin - Rust realistically in the bubble and in the start of a season where Malkin did not train at all.

It’s not a line I’m in love with, but if Rust is with Malkin I can’t see a LW that makes sense there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean Poehling and DOC are the same age and Poehling significantly out produced him last year.

Why wouldn't we give Poehling a shot first?

Kinda reminds me of the people that think POJ is going to start in the D line-up above Smith.

Because of an extra minute a night and special teams he mightn't get here. DOC edged him for p/60. And was a far better possession player relative to his team.

Tbh I see no reason not to make them compete in camp and go with the winner save for waiver eligibility. Ditto POJ and Smith, although they at least have different strengths from all I've heard.

We’ve only seen Zucker - Malkin - Rust realistically in the bubble and in the start of a season where Malkin did not train at all.

It’s not a line I’m in love with, but if Rust is Malkin I can’t see a LW that makes sense there.

I'm not quite sure what that second sentence means but I think I agree.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Definitely this, but since we're in the realm of dreams and hypotheticals, I'd like us to LTIR Carter all season, Tampa Bay style and have two of the young guns steal the 3C and 4C spots so that Stepdad can make a triumphant postseason comeback somewhere in the bottom 6 and we won't have to worry like him looking like dogshit from February to the end of R1.

I know it's not going to happen, but I'm tired of being reasonable. I've got needs too!

• Love
Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Definitely this, but since we're in the realm of dreams and hypotheticals, I'd like us to LTIR Carter all season, Tampa Bay style and have two of the young guns steal the 3C and 4C spots so that Stepdad can make a triumphant postseason comeback somewhere in the bottom 6 and we won't have to worry like him looking like dogshit from February to the end of R1.

I know it's not going to happen, but I'm tired of being reasonable. I've got needs too!

I love this idea!

But who can we acquire with the cap space if he goes on LTIR?

Probably a better idea to not use LTIR until the deadline so we can accrue cap space and then put Carter on LTIR a few days before the deadline to rest him and use his cap space to acquire someone else. We just need to find a way to "injure" Carter just long enough he'll be back by the playoffs. Maybe some arthroscopic surgery like Landeskog had or a broken pinky finger or some shit like that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean if we're going to keep Carter on the team, I'd still rather have him as 3RW not Kap. But that's the rub isn't it? This team has some mid-6 signings that create some logjams and force some of the older players into unsustainable workloads.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Carter, as long as Sullivan actually uses him with 3rd line minutes and not as some all-purpose 19-20 minutes per game player he did last year.

IMO, Carter/Blueger lines should get roughly equal minutes with Blueger getting the heavier defensive responsibilities.

<end thread>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad