Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 22/23 - Petry's Partner

Who do you want as Petry's partner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Poll #4: Who do you want as Petry's partner? Vote for what you want to see. Write in votes for players that the Penguins already have acquired are welcome but if you vote twice neither vote will count.

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. Options will be based on (August 19, 2022) health. All seem to be healthy.
  5. Unless listed as a 'LD/RD' on CapFriendly the defensemen will play on their "correct" side. This means Rutta, Ty Smith, Friedman, and Ouellet can play either side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL/AHL level. For example, I will not be listing Hallander as an option for the third line center. But DOC and Zohorna will be options for 3C.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I may not be able to include everyone as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though.
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
  9. I will be working my way "down" the lineup. If the cap is exceeded at a 22-man roster that is where the polls will end.
  10. Petry is the 2 RD.
Let me know of questions, concerns, or objections.

Current HFPens Line Combo:

Guentzel (63%) - Crosby - [looking like Rakell, vote if you haven't already]
- Malkin -
- -
- -

Dumoulin (81%) - Letang
- Petry
-

Jarry - DeSmith

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I picked Pettersson, but also want them to experiment more with the ideal partner for Petry in case it isn't Pettersson.

With the way this team gets injured, there will probably be plenty of chances to experiment.

Who is the "ideal" partner we have if it's not Pettersson? I think most of us think an experienced guy like Petry is the perfect partner for Pettersson, while we would need a more stay at home type in Rutta to pair with POJ/Smith.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Only answer is Petts, if only by default.

Friedman - no
POJ - need to see more from him at the NHL level before I'd throw him into a top 4 role.
Oullete - no
Rutta - more of a if all else fails option
Smith - probably going to be roster spot casualty since he can be sent down, but even if not, I'd want a more defensive option next to Petry.

But count me in as one who thinks Petts-Petry will actually be pretty good.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It'll be Pettersson, but I'd love for the Pens to say screw it and trade MP while playing POJ with Petry and Smith with Rutta.

Go young and if they really struggle, make a move at the deadline.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
What type of morph is he? Animorph?
This type
aaa.jpg

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The Pet ry/terrsson pair is going to be really good I think. Petry is just a better overall dman than Pettersson played with last year and it will let our Swedish Beanpole just do what he does well, be a solid if unspectacular and very, VERY boring defenseman.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Sometimes I hope players peer in to these boards...could you imagine Petts opening this thread?

The Pet ry/terrsson pair is going to be really good I think. Petry is just a better overall dman than Pettersson played with last year and it will let our Swedish Beanpole just do what he does well, be a solid if unspectacular and very, VERY boring defenseman.
We can label the pairing as "Sully's PETs"

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It'll be Pettersson, but I'd love for the Pens to say screw it and trade MP while playing POJ with Petry and Smith with Rutta.

But they won't because that's going to cost them a pretty penny.

That's why I voted Pettersson with Petry. Keep feeding him minutes to try and increase his value until we can offload him without it hurting.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
But they won't because that's going to cost them a pretty penny.

That's why I voted Pettersson with Petry. Keep feeding him minutes to try and increase his value until we can offload him without it hurting.
I don't think it'd cost the Pens anything to move MP. They just wouldn't get a ton back, or they might have to take a little salary back.

But they won't do it because they can always send Smith down for a few months.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

So what -- we'll give up a 1st rounder (at least) to dump Pettersson, and use that cap space for what?

Because losing a 1st or whatever assets we need to use as a sweetener to get a team to take Pettersson would gut whatever package we would try to put together for another impact player in trade.

A big cap dump like Pettersson or Zucker would only have made sense before free agency when we could have used that money to go after a big fish. They're all signed now.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad