Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 22/23 - 4th Line Wingers

Who do you want to see as the 4th Line Wingers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Poll #12: Given the current HFPens lineup, who do you want to see as the 4th Line Wingers? Vote for 2 players and vote for what you want to see. Write in votes for players that the Penguins already have acquired are welcome but if you have three votes none of them will be counted.

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. Options will be based on (August 19, 2022) health. All seem to be healthy.
  5. Unless listed as a 'LD/RD' on CapFriendly the defensemen will play on their "correct" side. This means Rutta, Ty Smith, Friedman, and Ouellet can play either side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL/AHL level. For example, I will not be listing Hallander as an option for the third line center. But DOC and Zohorna will be options for 3C.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I may not be able to include everyone as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though.
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
  9. I will be working my way "down" the lineup. If the cap is exceeded at a 22-man roster that is where the polls will end.
  10. Petry is the 2 RD.
Let me know of questions, concerns, or objections.

Current HFPens Line Combo:

Guentzel (63%) - Crosby - Rakell (54%)
Zucker (47%) - Malkin - Rust (83%)
Heinen (56%) - Carter (67%) - Kapanen (84%)
- Blueger (84%) -

Dumoulin (81%) - Letang
Pettersson (81%) - Petry
Joseph (65%) - Rutta (100%) [3 abstained from voting on a LD]

Jarry - DeSmith

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
As long as Archie isn’t playing, all is well.

Whatever happens, the fourth line won’t be nearly as useless as last year, right? We don’t have

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I wish you could transplant Archibald’s hitting into a more situationally aware player’s body.

Dude is a few sacks on conrete on skates -- s'pose we could call him dense. I still have a hard time believing he was able to level Greenway like that. I mean, Minny still scored but the hit was something else.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Dude is a few sacks on conrete on skates -- s'pose we could call him dense. I still have a hard time believing he was able to level Greenway like that. I mean, Minny still scored but the hit was something else.
Dude can legit hit, he’s just absolutely awful about when and where he does it. But hitting isn’t really about mass (though it helps) it’s about speed and technique. I really want a guy that can hit on the team, but I also want that hitter to not be a liability on the ice so that Sully won’t (rightfully in this case) bench them.

Prob gonna sign some old guy to a PTO like Jay Beagle or Andrew Ladd
I remember when Andrew Ladd was a coveted trade piece in like 2007.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Picked McGinn and DOC because I think DOC has wheels, size, forechecking etc to be an effective bottom six player…if he puts it together, I like him over Zohorna …every second option is a question mark so I’ll pick DOC….however, I do think because of his waiver status we won’t see him with the big club to start

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s fun to pretend Z will be given any legitimate chance this season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why are you like this?
Shero
JR after 2017
Sullivan since 2018
Hextall

Years of incompetence destroyed me. Thankfully, JR had a great couple of years in there to secure cups for the core later in their careers. If it wasn’t for that, Sid and Geno would have only won 1 cup in 2009, when they played in god mode.

The in Shero we trust group started the gloom.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Shero
JR after 2017
Sullivan since 2018
Hextall

Years of incompetence destroyed me. Thankfully, JR had a great couple of years in there to secure cups for the core later in their careers. If it wasn’t for that, Sid and Geno would have only won 1 cup in 2009, when they played in god mode.

The in Shero we trust group started the gloom.
Sounds like you weren't around within the 1967-1990-ish period or you wouldn't have survived to suffer the relatively short and pain-free Shero and beyond period. And you can't possibly be a Pirates fan.

Looking forward to the start of rookie camp - we should be able to determine rookies' futures from a few twitter snippets that emerge today.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Went with the big O' and Archibald.

Archibald is the "piece". The pens haven't won a cup since he left.

But, but, but.....

muppets-statler-and-waldorf.gif

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I don't think I've ever been as proud of this board as when I saw the Z votes.
I didn't know there was another Zohorniac like myself on here? Shocked how many votes my guy is getting.

I'm possibly the only lunatic that voted him our #1 prospect last year over the great Samwell Poulin

Edit: Found my 2021 post from the #1 prospect rankings and look like I had 2 others join me crowning our king:

"POJ is the obvious choice as he's closest to the NHL roster but for the sake of 'best prospect' I don't think his ceiling is great...I think he'll be a decent middle pairing guy.

I'm going with my dark horse early and saying screw the draft status hierarchy...my eyeballs tell me one cat has the potential to be something special. Very boom or bust but I can't deny the flash that I saw in limited viewing.

Zohorna. Book it."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad