OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Yes, but can it play Crysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I was looking at goalie equipment prices in response to the thread on the main board about Team Canada's goaltending, and good god goalie equipment has gotten so expensive. Granted it was never cheap to begin with, but I understand entirely why fewer kids are playing goalie growing up. It is absolutely painful with some of the costs I'm seeing here.

My most recent goalie equipment I got was a CCM set for $1300 back in 2016. That equivalent set today costs $1600. Just on the blocker/glove/leg pads set, you're going to be spending $400 for a youth set, then jumping to a $700 junior set, then jumping to a $1200 intermediate set and finally jumping to a $1600 senior set. And that assumes nothing breaks and you don't get change sets at the same level. My stuff wasn't even top of the line either.

I mean, I don't want kids in general so that makes it super easy for me. But the cost of goalie equipment becoming asinine just makes me more confident I'd never let my kid play goalie in the future.

Don't get me started...fellow goalie here.

I'm in the market for a stick as mine is at the line of breaking. I've had extreme success the past 5 years with Tron goalie sticks. Typically sticks in that $80-100 price range will last me less than a whole ice season. Well the Tron sticks have been remarkably durable. I probably bought 2 or 3 of them in the past 5 years!

So I go look at the model and everything on the stick to get another one. If you didn't know, Tron sticks are made in the Ukraine and for obvious reasons I can't find any.

I go to the local pro shop to get an idea of new makes/models. Again they typically have entry level ($60) to very high level ($200+) goalie sticks. I pick a few up and look at the price tags. I didn't grab any stick that wasn't less than $150. It's bananas. I went with an entry level Sherwood to see if it lasts. If it doesn't I'm gonna try some different ones. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I could barely afford to keep myself stocked on sticks just playing inline as a skater once a week. I don't know how anybody who isn't rich actually affords to keep up with ice hockey as a full time activity; skater or goalie. Especially as I got older. Things got more expensive, and people became bigger jerks, which lead to more slashes breaking sticks. I've never been an angry person but some jabroni breaking my stick with a pointless slash is about the most infuriating thing in the world.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I could barely afford to keep myself stocked on sticks just playing inline as a skater once a week. I don't know how anybody who isn't rich actually affords to keep up with ice hockey as a full time activity; skater or goalie. Especially as I got older. Things got more expensive, and people became bigger jerks, which lead to more slashes breaking sticks. I've never been an angry person but some jabroni breaking my stick with a pointless slash is about the most infuriating thing in the world.

Yea people are absolute morons when you put a stick in their hands. I play inline during the summer bc it's a nice break from wearing the goalie gear. There is 1 team that is completely unnecessary with their hacks. For instance I'll be lined up as a winger in the faceoff circle. As soon as it's dropped and regardless if the puck is anywhere near us, they chop down on my blade forcefully. Like WTF is the point of that?

I finally got pissed off enough that late in the game I was in a scrum for the puck in the corner...like 3/4 players trying to dig the puck out and I purposely stepped and broke the dude's stick. He went bonkers :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That blue ring was because of the liberal idiots elected locally. That was dumb. All public art projects in Calgary are a dumb waste of money.
I read about the new leader you lot have in Alberta, wasn’t sure if I was reading American politics or Canadian with how ridiculous she was.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Reported again!

giphy.gif

Take those three shells, turn it side ways…

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Anyway, take care of yourselves while you can. My Dad just hasn't and he's had a number of health issues the last decade or so. Yesterday he fell while getting out of bed, couldn't get up, and then crawled the the bathroom where he laid on the floor for the next 9 hours. Until my Mom let me know... through text... Like, call me for something of this magnitude.

I went over and was able to make sure he was functioning fine (as in, didn't need an ambulance). But he was still on the floor and also weighs 100 pounds more than me. Eventually I was able to lift him up. He can walk and everything but he's pretty sore (and likely embarrassed) from the whole ordeal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: watch your weight, do your stretches, and make sure you go see your doctors.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Anyway, take care of yourselves while you can. My Dad just hasn't and he's had a number of health issues the last decade or so. Yesterday he fell while getting out of bed, couldn't get up, and then crawled the the bathroom where he laid on the floor for the next 9 hours. Until my Mom let me know... through text... Like, call me for something of this magnitude.

I went over and was able to make sure he was functioning fine (as in, didn't need an ambulance). But he was still on the floor and also weighs 100 pounds more than me. Eventually I was able to lift him up. He can walk and everything but he's pretty sore (and likely embarrassed) from the whole ordeal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: watch your weight, do your stretches, and make sure you go see your doctors.
I've been traveling nonstop most of this year so I definitely slid back the wrong direction. It's so much harder eating right when you can't really cook. I Definitely need to get back on track.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I've been traveling nonstop most of this year so I definitely slid back the wrong direction. It's so much harder eating right when you can't really cook. I Definitely need to get back on track.
I run from -whenever the cold weather breaks- march ish until -whenever the warm weather recedes- October ish and mostly lift simple weights during the winter months. By lifting I mean, light mostly just to keep tone. 10-20 minute sessions 3-4 times a week.
I ran, I keep track of everything I do.... 135 miles this season. Basically 1.5miles per run 3ish x's a week.
I go up about 5 pounds over the winter... summer I shed it off after two or so weeks of running... shirt off soaking up vitamin d sunshine... feel great.
Should be enough to not drop dead of some sedentary condition.
Can not wait til the warm weather returns... cabin fever and lack of sun in the winter kills me mentally. Eh.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Elderly are stubborn like that sadly. I am glad your father is okay.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I'm going to try to make a legitimate effort in improving my health all together next year. CGP Grey has a nice video on alternatives to "New Year's Resolutions" that can still help you make positive strides here:

A "year of health" can be anything from working out more, eating better, drinking less, taking better care of yourself and even more. You're not locking yourself into a resolution that will likely break, but just a theme where any positive steps work towards the broad goal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Randy Butternubs my couch ended up breaking, so I’m placing the order for this sofa and ottoman:

Burrow currently has a 15% off code, so I’m basically getting the ottoman for free. $2800 is sure as hell not cheap but this couch looks incredibly good.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Uh excuse me! Here in Alberta its a Nickelback album thanks!

BruisedUntidyConure-max-1mb.gif

@Randy Butternubs your narrow ass better report this with me. nickelback is auditory assault.

Nothing more frustrating when loved ones have health issues that could have been avoided. It frustrates me as much as it frustrates you so I feel you mate. It’s just one of those things where you’re watching a car accident in slow motion.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I run from -whenever the cold weather breaks- march ish until -whenever the warm weather recedes- October ish and mostly lift simple weights during the winter months. By lifting I mean, light mostly just to keep tone. 10-20 minute sessions 3-4 times a week.
I ran, I keep track of everything I do.... 135 miles this season. Basically 1.5miles per run 3ish x's a week.
I go up about 5 pounds over the winter... summer I shed it off after two or so weeks of running... shirt off soaking up vitamin d sunshine... feel great.
Should be enough to not drop dead of some sedentary condition.
Can not wait til the warm weather returns... cabin fever and lack of sun in the winter kills me mentally. Eh.
Eat eggs man.... you can cook EGGS right?
Chicken breast?
Lean burgers? 93/7?
Tons of decent foods you can cook pretty simple....
or..........
do you not have a stove or kitchen area to prepare stuff at all? (donno your situation)

Or if you're a vegg only person... huzzah! Don't really have to cook then.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Eat eggs man.... you can cook EGGS right?
Chicken breast?
Lean burgers? 93/7?
Tons of decent foods you can cook pretty simple....
or..........
do you not have a stove or kitchen area to prepare stuff at all? (donno your situation)

Or if you're a vegg only person... huzzah! Don't really have to cook then.
You trying to reply to me instead of yourself? Most hotels have a microwave, but that's it. And no freezer. But lately I've been getting some groceries and doing things like wraps. Best I've done is buying the cooked rotisserie chicken and getting microwave broccoli and rice cups. But "relationship building" is part of my job, so I end up at lunch and dinner out at restaurants a lot too.

Reactions: LOGiK

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just had my first taste of korean food, pretty good. The owner shops at my work and told her a while ago I would come in and finally did. My work keeps calling her my girlfriend because I might have a thing for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad