Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects: Final Rankings

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
You rank Moroz much higher than I do.

Which reminds me...a friend of mine saw him on the big screen at Commonwealth on the weekend and said he's the next Ryan Smyth. I don't think so and tried to work up a $100 bet that Moroz wouldn't play 100 games with the Oilers. My friend wouldn't pull the trigger on the wager. Coward! I think Chase might enjoy a better career than Moroz does, although I hope both eventually play for the Oilers.

After the Oilers top 4 prospects I don't think there are any are guaranteed 100 NHL games prospects. Moroz is much bigger than Chase and a great net presence at the junior level which could translate to the Oilers with Smyth retiring. I don't think Moroz will be our Lucic but I could see him playing a lot of games in a bottom 6 role after a few years in the AHL. I view him as a prospect with a nice mix of size, skill and grit. First year pro will be a much better indicator of the value of some of our prospects ranked 5-10 (Yakimov, Khaira, Moroz).

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im excited to see yakimov in the training camp and in OKC he is a physical beast i want to see him use it

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
After the Oilers top 4 prospects I don't think there are any are guaranteed 100 NHL games prospects. Moroz is much bigger than Chase and a great net presence at the junior level which could translate to the Oilers with Smyth retiring. I don't think Moroz will be our Lucic but I could see him playing a lot of games in a bottom 6 role after a few years in the AHL. I view him as a prospect with a nice mix of size, skill and grit. First year pro will be a much better indicator of the value of some of our prospects ranked 5-10 (Yakimov, Khaira, Moroz).

What's your over-under for the number of games Moroz plays with the Oilers? I don't see him getting 100 games in with the team. I hope he does, partly because I have a friend with same last name and he wants to get a jersey with Moroz on it.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
What's your over-under for the number of games Moroz plays with the Oilers? I don't see him getting 100 games in with the team. I hope he does, partly because I have a friend with same last name and he wants to get a jersey with Moroz on it.

Really just a guess but 40% chance of 100+ NHL games. Reason I ranked him so high is I think he is the type of player (if he makes the NHL cut) that could compliment a top 6 line like a Scott Hartnell type player. Most likely if he play's that many games it would be in a bottom 6 role but the potential is there for more than that.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
1. Nurse
2. Draisaitl
3. Marincin
4. Klefbom
5. Yakimov
6. Chase
7. Brossoit
8. Moroz
9. Khaira
10. Roy
11. Gernat
12. Lagesson
13. Pitlick
14. Simpson
15. Musil
16. Nagelvoort
17. Slepyshev
18. Ewanyk
19. Davidson
20. Platzer

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
1.Draisaitl
2.Nurse
3.Klefbom
4.Marincin
5.Yakimov
6.Slepyshev
7.Simpson
8.Kharia
9.Chase
10.Roy
11.Gernat
12.Brossiot
13.Musil
14.Pitlick
15.Moroz
16.Houck
17.Lagesson
18.Pakarinen
19.Kyle Platzer
20.McCarron

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The thing you have to keep in mind is just random NHL success is outside the first round... or even after the top 3 some times. Besides a few teams that seem to have a knack for it most draft picks are lottery numbers. You either win or you lose and the odds are very bad no matter what numbers you pick.

I think most people disliked the Moroz pick at the time, myself included. Way too early because he does project much like you have called out. A guy lucky to be a bottom 6 forward in the NHL for maybe 100 games.

However. He greatly surpassed all expectations last year and if he can continue to "develop" a long a much more aggressive curve we may well be talking about how this guy was a steal.

As someone mentioned his first year at Pro level will tell a lot. Such a huge jump for the average prospect to go from Juniors to AHL and then of course even bigger to the NHL. I personally will be looking for comments from Nelson. I don't expect much offense from Moroz at that level but if he still has the coaches thumbs up I won't write him off either. One of the good things about Kharia is how much praise he has received from Nelson in a short time. That guy is my pick to play over 100 games in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad