Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #6

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Khaira's my favorite left of the bunch, but I'm honestly quite surprised that Chase isn't universally seen as the best of the rest after our Big 4. I voted for the Hitman.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I see all these guys as NHL long shots but would be blown away if at least one didn't become an NHL regular. We hit pay dirt if any of them actually becomes a top 4 type.

Dillon Simpson
David Musil
Martin Gernat
Brandon Davidson

I think Gernat is the one with the highest upside of the bunch. Simpson's skating is too weak from what I've heard. Same with Musil and maybe even Davidson.

Which is why I picked Kharia. Something about his progression and the way I've heard people in the organization, and outside the organization, talk about this guy makes me think he will be a solid NHL player for years to come. Solid #3 center upside by the sounds and tracking well enough that an NHL appearance could honestly come as early as next year.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
If I could have voted, I would have said Simpson 5, and Yakimov at 6. I just feel that yakimov is closer to his ceiling. More NHL-ready, but I don't see as much upside. Admittedly, this is based almost purely on media reports, so I'm happy to defer to a more informed opinion.

When we get to Marco Roy, that's a player I can give an opinion on. But my opinion is, on this list, we shouldn't get to him for a while.

I guess this means I vote for Simpson.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Khaira. Had a really good first taste of AHL hockey last year and has a ton of potential. He'll take time to develop but could be a reaaly good physical 3rd line center who can play the front of the net on the powerplay.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Chase is the highest scorer left. It's gotta be Chase vs. Simpson,

I agree with this, going with Simpson he doesn't get much press here cause he's overshadowed by our top 3 d prospects but he is a quality prospect in his own right. After Simpson gets in I'm voting for Chase. Chase provides intangibles just like Khaira and Moroz do, but is scoring at a far higher rate, and Moroz is a year older and played with better linemates on a better team and didn't have the same level of success as Chase.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
What's Chase like, anyways?

As an Oil Kings fan who has seen him play many times and has hated him, he's a stupid SOB when he plays on the other team, as he does now. He is the kind of SOB you want on your team and a kind of player who the Oilers have lacked for years. I hate him now but desperately want him to succeed with the Oilers.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Khaira. Had a really good first taste of AHL hockey last year and has a ton of potential. He'll take time to develop but could be a reaaly good physical 3rd line center who can play the front of the net on the powerplay.

How much potential does he actually have? His offensive numbers as a 19 year old in juniors are underwhelming, and in 9 games in the AHL (regular season and playoffs) he had a single point.

3rd liners in the NHL tended to be good point producers in the leagues that led up to the NHL.

I see Khaira going the route of someone like Chris Vandevelde did. Everyone is excited, he has his first year in the AHL puts up 15 points and is never really heard of again.

Eirhead*

I really like Jujhar, I'm not sure if he'll end up top 6... but he seems like he's got the frame and ability to fit an NHL lineup for sure. And I'm always a bit skeptical of players coming out of the NCAA.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
How much potential does he actually have? His offensive numbers as a 19 year old in juniors are underwhelming, and in 9 games in the AHL (regular season and playoffs) he had a single point.

3rd liners in the NHL tended to be good point producers in the leagues that led up to the NHL.

He played very hard minutes in the AHL, he shutted down Texas Stars first line in the playoffs, including Travis Morin who had 88 points in 66 regular season games.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB

I see Khaira going the route of someone like Chris Vandevelde did. Everyone is excited, he has his first year in the AHL puts up 15 points and is never really heard of again.

I do agree that his point totals are less than what we hoped for but he played in Everett who under Kevin Constantine are the Nashville Predators of the WHL. The Silvertips had the least goals for of any playoff team, and are known for there defence first systems. Jujhar played the first 80% of the year on Everett's second line primarily used as a shut down line against the other teams top line and he excelled. The last part of the year when Khaira was put in an offensive role he showed his offence finishing the last quarter of the year and into the playoffs at just shy of a PPG pace.

I do however feel that stats can be deceiving with a prospect like Jujhar. He is the kind if prospect you need to see live to realize the potential. The first thing you notice is just how damn big he is. He's not only tall but he is thick, he's big by NHL terms. He uses that big frame to impose himself physically and to protect the puck. He is also excellent in front of the net with deflections and screens. He has decent visions and passing ability but his shot is less than stellar. While he has made great strides in his skating it still remains his biggest weakness. His offence won't be what caries him, it will be his defensive acumen he is never out of position and is always battling for the puck. Defence is his strength but what I feel sets him apart from most determination and desire. His coaches love him because he is low maintenance he does whatever he needs to to win games. I wouldn't count out anyone with his determination.

If he amounts to anything more than a third line centre I will be surprised, but I think if he continues to progress he can be a downright dominant one.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

He has offensive upside forsure but that weakness is what will make him a longer term prospect. A slick one handed backhand goal in the prospects game shows a bit of flair.

Personally what has me all excited is hearing Todd Nelson talk him up as a future NHL center with all the tools and drive to get there. He is one of those guys that is tracking well ahead of where they were drafted.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I do agree that his point totals are less than what we hoped for but he played in Everett who under Kevin Constantine are the Nashville Predators of the WHL. The Silvertips had the least goals for of any playoff team, and are known for there defence first systems. Jujhar played the first 80% of the year on Everett's second line primarily used as a shut down line against the other teams top line and he excelled. The last part of the year when Khaira was put in an offensive role he showed his offence finishing the last quarter of the year and into the playoffs at just shy of a PPG pace.

I do however feel that stats can be deceiving with a prospect like Jujhar. He is the kind if prospect you need to see live to realize the potential. The first thing you notice is just how damn big he is. He's not only tall but he is thick, he's big by NHL terms. He uses that big frame to impose himself physically and to protect the puck. He is also excellent in front of the net with deflections and screens. He has decent visions and passing ability but his shot is less than stellar. While he has made great strides in his skating it still remains his biggest weakness. His offence won't be what caries him, it will be his defensive acumen he is never out of position and is always battling for the puck. Defence is his strength but what I feel sets him apart from most determination and desire. His coaches love him because he is low maintenance he does whatever he needs to to win games. I wouldn't count out anyone with his determination.

If he amounts to anything more than a third line centre I will be surprised, but I think if he continues to progress he can be a downright dominant one.

He has offensive upside forsure but that weakness is what will make him a longer term prospect. A slick one handed backhand goal in the prospects game shows a bit of flair.

Personally what has me all excited is hearing Todd Nelson talk him up as a future NHL center with all the tools and drive to get there. He is one of those guys that is tracking well ahead of where they were drafted.

^^^ Good write ups.

Watching Jujhar in OKC, is worth to point out that while he didn't put up big points, he certainly didn't shy away from any offensive opportunities. He drove the puck to the net on multiple occasion and helped generate a decent amount of offence, even if they didn't materialize. I'd like to see him play with some skilled/competent wingers and see what he can do under Nelson's system.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He played all year in a pure shutdown role. Give him some chances in the offensive zone, and his numbers will improve

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He played all year in a pure shutdown role. Give him some chances in the offensive zone, and his numbers will improve

I don't know what role he played in college, but they aren't particularly impressive there either.

He played very hard minutes in the AHL, he shutted down Texas Stars first line in the playoffs, including Travis Morin who had 88 points in 66 regular season games.

The same Travis Morin who had 4 points in a 3 game sweep?

I'm not saying it can't happen with Khaira, but if I was going to put money down I'd say he's just another guy who fizzle's out when he gets to the pro levels.

It's possible I'm jaded at this stage. We see it happen with almost every single one of our forward prospects. Todd Nelson and the OKC Barons are a graveyard for our forward prospects. Zero faith in him down there to actually develop our players into NHLers. Four years as the head coach for our farm team and we literally don't have a single forward who developed into an NHLer under him. No wonder we never have the depth to make trades to improve the team. Holes are never filled by our 2nd-7th rounders. (Fingers crossed Marincin continues his development!)

It's just.... how many good 3rd line centers (what people hope Khaira can become) are there that weren't 1st line scorers in junior leagues?

Guys like Bolland, Gordon, Stoll, Kelly, Helm, Stajan, Brodziak were all big time junior scorers before becoming the 3rd/4th line players they are now.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't know what role he played in college, but they aren't particularly impressive there either.

The same Travis Morin who had 4 points in a 3 game sweep?

I'm not saying it can't happen with Khaira, but if I was going to put money down I'd say he's just another guy who fizzle's out when he gets to the pro levels.

It's possible I'm jaded at this stage. We see it happen with almost every single one of our forward prospects. Todd Nelson and the OKC Barons are a graveyard for our forward prospects. Zero faith in him down there to actually develop our players into NHLers. Four years as the head coach for our farm team and we literally don't have a single forward who developed into an NHLer under him. No wonder we never have the depth to make trades to improve the team. Holes are never filled by our 2nd-7th rounders. (Fingers crossed Marincin continues his development!)

It's just.... how many good 3rd line centers (what people hope Khaira can become) are there that weren't 1st line scorers in junior leagues?

Guys like Bolland, Gordon, Stoll, Kelly, Helm, Stajan, Brodziak were all big time junior scorers before becoming the 3rd/4th line players they are now.

There is actually probably quite a few who weren't 1st line scorers in their junior leagues who went onto success, like Bolland for example was clearly behind Schremp, but the point stands he put up good number regardless. I think it's best to look at it as what players weren't scoring at or over that point per game range at 19 years of age in junior who went on to be 3rd line centers. So I ran through a rolodex of 3rd line centers in my head, mostly average to good ones as I don't tend to remember crappy or flash in the pan ones who couldn't keep the job for long, so of about 60 names I thought up about only one fit the bill: Dave Scatchard. There were a handful that didn't top a point per game in junior that went onto be successful, but most of them made it into the league at 18 or 19 e.g. Manny Malhotra, Brandon Sutter, Ryan O'Reilly.

The odds are stacked against Khaira in a big way for being a 3rd liner in the NHL, I have to say I'm a big believer in Khaira, he plays a pro style game and it feels like someone who is just going to make it to the NHL, but realistically that will be as a 4th liner, but I think he will be a very good 4th liner.

P.S. Voting someone with realistically speaking 4th line upside as our 6th best prospect is pretty damning testimonial as to the inherent weakness in our prospect group.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

the guy has like ZERO offensive ability though.... way less than PPG pace in the WHL as a 19 year old, middling numbers in college, and zero points in 6 games in the AHL last year... he *might* one day become a 4th line C type, but even that is very doubtful.... a guy like brodziak was light years ahead of khaira at this point in his career, and he topped out as a 3rd line C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad