Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #16

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What's with Alexander Bumagin still on the Oilers team website on their "in the system" list. The guy is 27 at this stage and I've never really even heard him mentioned in the past 5 years.

How long do these types of players stay on the "in the system" list.. until they are 40 and out of hockey? :)

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Really? Because to me his season screams shutdown 4th line center with a ton of grit... kinda like what we've been expecting out of him...

I'd say it's more likely he's Will Acton, character guy who's a useful bottom sixer in the AHL but can't quite cut it in the bigs. Then again some guys have the ability to raise the bar to every new level. Hopefully Ewanyk is one of those players, he's a very likable type of player and one that is very useful when they're good enough.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd say it's more likely he's Will Acton, character guy who's a useful bottom sixer in the AHL but can't quite cut it in the bigs. Then again some guys have the ability to raise the bar to every new level. Hopefully Ewanyk is one of those players, he's a very likable type of player and one that is very useful when they're good enough.

Personally I think McCarron has a better chance at cracking an NHL lineup than Ewanyk... he's a little bigger and has put up some average/decent numbers in his career so far.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Personally I think McCarron has a better chance at cracking an NHL lineup than Ewanyk... he's a little bigger and has put up some average/decent numbers in his career so far.

Yeah, from what I've heard he might be able to make it as an "enforcer who can play" if his hockey skills aren't quite enough but let's hope he ends up an actual hockey player. His numbers have increased slightly each year, hopefully this is his breakout year offensively. How does Cornell look? Do they have any scoring power up front?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yeah, from what I've heard he might be able to make it as an "enforcer who can play" if his hockey skills aren't quite enough but let's hope he ends up an actual hockey player. His numbers have increased slightly each year, hopefully this is his breakout year offensively. How does Cornell look? Do they have any scoring power up front?

Cornell still has Joakim Ryan this coming season who is a smallish dman but solid offensively (basically similar to Laleggia but trending upwards... Laleggia is likely trending downwards at this point).

They still have Joel Lowry as well who's decent offensively... but overall Cornell isn't a team with huge offensive ability... McCarron will get every opportunity as captain in his senior year to show what he can do before he steps up to the pro level.

One reason I give McCarron an edge in a poll like this (especially when we are looking at long shots at this stage at #16 is he's in a Ivy league school and his maturity/intelligence level is likely as good or better than most other prospects listed above. That combined with his size and physicality and his solid defensive play... I think gives him an edge at cracking an NHL roster... probably in a 4th line type role like a Hendricks... but that's something a team obviously needs as well and I see no reason McCarron couldn't play that role on the Oilers going forward.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I voted Frans Tuohimma simply because he's a goalie, he's now ranked at a 6.5 C by Hockey's Future (for those who care about that), and is playing a valuable position that the Oilers have had some difficulty at developing prospects.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
If you're going to vote a goalie, then you probably want to go with Nagelvoort.

^not me. Tuohimma has developed in the pro's i think even better than the Oilers thought he would for a 7th rounder. i feel he's much further ahead developmental wise than Nagelvoort is and at this moment would be considered the more valuable of the 2 goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad