Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #16

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm gonna start the next poll a bit early as it is pretty damn clear who will win.

Poll #15 Winner: With 67.31% of the Vote:

1372542570_b_anton-slepyshev.jpg

Anton Slepyshev

Thanks to all who voted in poll fifteen.

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects
1) Leon Draisaitl - C - Prince Albert Raiders b- WHL - 56.44%
2) Darnell Nurse - D - Soo Greyhounds - OHL - 94.20%
3) Martin Marincin - D - Edmonton Oilers - NHL - 47.20%
3) Oscar Klefbom - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 47.20%*
5) Bogdan Yakimov - C - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk - KHL - 47.33%
6) Jujhar Khaira - C - Everett Silvertips - WHL - 29.05%
7) Dillon Simpson - D - UND Fighting Sioux - NCAA - 32.67%
8) Greg Chase - RW - Calgary Hitmen - WHL - 37.90%
9) Mitchell Moroz - LW - Edmonton Oil Kings - WHL - 29.84%
10) Laurent Brossoit - G - Bakersfield Condors - ECHL - 32.08%
11) Martin Gernat - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 29.91
12) Tyler Pitlick - RW - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 31.48%
13) David Musil - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 30.97%
14) Marco Roy - LW - Blainville-Boisbriand Armada - QMJHL - 51.09%
15) Anton Slepyshev - LW - Salavat Yulaev Ufa - KHL - 67.31%
*Poll #3 was a tie

On to Poll #16:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Ewanyk for me.

I can see 15 differs votes though.

BTW: I recommend everyone watch the video in the OP, you can really get an idea of Slepyshev's skill.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The only player left that I think has a better then 30% odds of making the NHL is Brandon Davidson, he doesn't have big time upside but he's got the smarts, plays a pro style game, and the kind of will and determination to make it happen. Again he's not going to be the kind of player getting ooo's and ahhh's but neither were Cory Cross or Jason Strudwick and they still had respectable NHL careers. I like Ewanyk's characters he's always great in interviews and he's got a lot of fight but as a forward he's about half as offensively gifted as Colin Fraser, with many of the same intangibles to me that is not an NHL player.

All that said I voted Pakarinen I don't have the kind of views that I'd like on the player but is scouting report and youtube videos I'm thinking he has a bit more upside then most of the people left. After Pakarinen is in I'll stick with Davidson till he makes it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Davidson for me. Atleast he is having AHL success. I think he can make it as a bottom pairing D. Rocky Thompson said he was the D to watch this upcoming year. Does nothing great, does everything well

At this point, if any of these guys made the NHL full time I would be shocked.

Lagesson sounds interesting as well. Big physical shut down D, but can skate well and good with the puck. If the offense comes, he could turn out

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Betker is really underrated. Like all guys his size he needs to work on skating, but he definitely has some decent tools at his disposal.

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
Went with Laleggia. He's got some upside but needs to show he can play against pros. He has comparable NCAA numbers to Torey Krug and they are listed as the exact same height and weight on Elite Prospects.

Torey Krug
2011-12 Michigan State NCAA 38GP 12G 22A 34Pts

Joey Laleggia
2011-12 Univ. of Denver NCAA 43GP 11G 27A 38PTS

Slepyshev looks impressive in the video in the OP, I'm hopeful he comes over after this season. People forget he was captain of the Russian World Junior team last season and played a big role on that team's first line and top PP unit.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You can probably almost throw a dart at this list looking for someone who will be able to play 80+ games at the NHL level. At this point odds are getting very long.

I went with McCarron... not because he's necessarily "better" than some others on this list... but he's big, plays physical and is an intelligent player... captain of his collegiate team in Cornell.

I think he has as good a chance as any to make the Oilers (obviously long odds for them all).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
One player to note... Zharkov has basically fallen off the face of the Earth... going from a potential steal pick where the Oilers drafted him to now appearing like he's eons away from becoming an NHL level player.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Lagesson getting pretty underrated here.

No offense to Ewanyk, but 12 points in 68 GP in OKC doesn't scream success for the NHL level.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ewanyk for me.

I can see 15 differs votes though.

BTW: I recommend everyone watch the video in the OP, you can really get an idea of Slepyshev's skill.

Liked the music... Donno about the highlight package. It's 1:45 long with 1/2 of it being him celebrating.

Has anyone ever read an article or heard anything about him that suggests he has any interest in ever playing in NA?

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Liked the music... Donno about the highlight package. It's 1:45 long with 1/2 of it being him celebrating.

Has anyone ever read an article or heard anything about him that suggests he has any interest in ever playing in NA?

Don't have any links but I remember there were quotes from russian journalists claiming that he was trying to break his contract in the KHL to come over already this season but he couldn't. This was in april/may I think. Dunno how valid. Around the same timr it was suggested he'd come over once his contract was up next year. The claims that he wants to stay in russia seems to come from him wanting to finish school and having exams at the time of the draft and combine in his draft year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lagesson for me. Has the highest upside of the ones listed. I'm hopeful he'll at least end up as a bottom-pairing guy in the NHL.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
In some defense of a guy like Ewanyk... it's not all about offensive production and points.

A guy like Paul Bissonnette didn't put up impressive offense at the junior or AHL level either (had decent numbers in the ECHL)... yet he's carved out a modest career in the NHL having played 200+ games so far at the age of 29.

I think for those left on this list... that's the type of career you'll probably get as a ceiling... a utility player who's in and out of the lineup when injuries occur... and bounces between the NHL/minors for most of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad