Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #15

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's next on my list honestly, the kid is trending very well.

Yup. Me too.

Denver lost their top two scorers from the year prior and their scoring was down, so his numbers look worse, but he had a great season by the sounds of it.

He and Simpson were the two defenseman on the NCHC First All-Star Team and Laleggia also ended up on the NCAA (West) Second All-American Team.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I like Laleggia too.

Out of whats left I'd probably take IIro, Davidson, JL, Lagesson, Houck in no particular order...

with HM to Ewanyk, Zharkov, and Voldemort

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
With Laleggia I think the fear is that he's pretty small, and we've rightly had a lot of fears about us getting pushed around recently. He'd be joining a pretty big D-core if he ever does make the Oilers though, so I don't think it's a huge problem. Could be a Torey Krug kind of player for us?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With Laleggia I think the fear is that he's pretty small, and we've rightly had a lot of fears about us getting pushed around recently. He'd be joining a pretty big D-core if he ever does make the Oilers though, so I don't think it's a huge problem. Could be a Torey Krug kind of player for us?

That's probably a good comparison.

Small defenseman with a knack for scoring goals.

Oct 15, 2008
nice response

in order to play in the NHL, he have to show a little offense....or you become Lander or JFJ

Or a bottom six role player. Those are important too. You need to have balance on your team to be successful. Not everyone is going to be in the top six.

To say a player doesnt have value or isnt going to make it because they will never play on the top line in the ahl is completely nonsensical. The Oilers have a need for the type of game Ewanyk brings. Why do you think they went out and got Hendricks? Because he has top six potential? :help:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Or a bottom six role player. Those are important too. You need to have balance on your team to be successful. Not everyone is going to be in the top six.

To say a player doesnt have value or isnt going to make it because they will never play on the top line in the ahl is completely nonsensical. The Oilers have a need for the type of game Ewanyk brings. Why do you think they went out and got Hendricks? Because he has top six potential? :help:

I agree 100%.

Ewanyk is my next vote. I've said it before and I do think it is a weird concept but the kid is the same player at every level. He is a rare case of a guy who at every level, understands his role and plays it to a tee. He was a stellar bottom six role player his whole time with the OK's and he transitioned extremely well to pro and continued the same role. He is the ideal 4th line centre type, he wins face offs, he is defensively responsible, extremely physical, and willing to defend teammates. I feel that his best quality is his will to win and his team first approach he is a coaches favourite because he is low maintenance and will do anything to help the team. I do agree that his ceiling is much lower than quite a few guys left but in my eyes he has the best chance at a career in the NHL.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
This line of thinking is flawed. "Plugs" are better than skill guys who aren't good enough to crack the lineup. Nobody is denying his skill, but we've seen enough Omarks and that we should probably know that sometimes, a Mike Grier is better than a Rob Schremp.

I agree with what you are saying, ignoring the fact i never liked schremp or pos or omark.
I guess when i vote for prospects i vote for ceiling and ability to achieve it. I dont care if the team cant sign the guy. Thats the teams fault.
Value comes into play...scarcity of that type of player, that roster position, that depth position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad