Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #12

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You guys should take a look at the Calgary Prospect rankings they're doing right now...apparently Gaudreau > Bennett. Lel.

wow I just went there and not only did Gaudreau win top spot, but Bennett only had 60% of the vote for #2 because of Baertschi

I guess it really doesn't matter. Maybe they just wish their prospects were that good.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
wow I just went there and not only did Gaudreau win top spot, but Bennett only had 60% of the vote for #2 because of Baertschi

I guess it really doesn't matter. Maybe they just wish their prospects were that good.

Bennett >> Anyone else in the Flames prospect pool.

Oct 15, 2008
What do you see in him? For me I don't see him becoming anything more than a 6-7 defenseman that bounces around the league. Slow foot speed, not enough offense.

Thinking about some of the players we passed for him makes me want to cry. Rattie, Saad, Jenner, Gibson, Jaskin, Jurco, Kucherov, Nieto.. Just a horrible pick and most of us knew it at the time. Never count out the Oilers passing up better players for an old boys' son! :shakehead

Nonsense. You must not like Scott Stevens, or Kevin Lowe, or Derian Hatcher or Serge Savard. Not enough points. Too slow.

Did you even watch Musil play last year? He was one of the better dmen down in OKC at playing, you know, defense. Sometimes you gotta worry about stopping the other team from scoring. He's pretty good at that. Much, much better than Gernat for instance.

And please stop with the hindsight "we knew it" nonsense. Most people here didnt even watch the players you listed off as "better" than Musil before the draft so save the we knew it baloney.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This one is really baffling. Im not sure if they hyped up Bartschi so hard in the past years they are still blinded by that. But dude is not a special prospect anymore. Bennett in my eyes is hands and shoulders above the other two. Its quite apparent Bartschi's point totals were completely inflated by being on a elite WHL team (ala Gagner). Hell be an ok 2nd line guy if every goes right (Cammy for comparable). I think Bennett is going to be a 1c, or stud 2c.

I think this board is very far off on the evaluations of Musil too. Hes had Willis and Todd Nelson singing his praises, and those guys watch him alot. Even Eric Rodgers is a fan (follows the Barons exclusively). I didnt get to watch many games, but in the games I did watch he was a beast along the boards and didnt look out of step at all. I think people are jaded by the Jenner snub, but if you seperate the pick from the player youd see Musil is a legit prospect.

Oct 15, 2008
This is more nonsense. Anyone who watched Portland at all knows that Beartschi's numbers were NOT inflated by other players. HE was the guy driving the bus on that team. Easily the most dynamic and explosive player in the WHL in his final year.

OVOXO*

The hype they have for Gaudreau is CRAZY. It's funny watching them crap on Oilers fans for being high on players, and for the size of our prospects, to hyping the living **** out of Gaudreau. Between that and crapping on the rebuild, to justifying their own, it seems as if irony doesn't exist down south.

I think they're just trying to make it seem like Gaudreau is a 1st overall pick caliber talent. :laugh:

Oct 15, 2008
You'd take him over Bennett?

I dont really know much about either of them tbh.

I do know that I was impressed watching Johnny Hockey though. And Im not a fan of little guys as a rule, but that kid can play. He's very, very dangerous once he gets across the blue line. Very elusive, quick and his hands are magical.

I hate the Flames. Watched the BOA's of the eighties as they happened. But Im not going to **** on that kid. He looks pretty damn good. He may or may not amount to anything in the nhl. The odds are likely stacked against him, but his talent is undeniable.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I voted Musil. From what I have read/little seen, it seems likely he will make the NHL. I also like Marco Roy - although I think it's very likely that he never plays a full NHL season, much like the rest of the available options aside from Musil. I'm not always a safest bet, but seems best value to me at this point.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Finally allowed to vote!

I picked Roy for the same reasons listed above. The guy seems to have all the tools, and I think he's in a perfect situation this season.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That Musil pick :help: I have dreams about Boone Jenner still

This.

On draft night, I had RNH, Klefbom and Jenner. Just when I thought Oilers for sure will pick Jenner, Gibson or Kucherov, they went with Musil. Still have nightmares.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Slepyshev once again.

I think people forget he's playing in the KHL and just turned 20.

Not to mention ppg at the most recent WJC. It's pointless trying to promote him to some of these people though. For some reason, nearly everyone voting deems "top prospects" means most likely to be 4th liner/AHL top 6 guy. Other than Draisaitl, Slepyshev is the only guy we have with NHL top 6 calibre skill set. Everyone overlooks him because "we don't know if he's coming over." Has he flat out said he's not coming over? Kuznetsov played 3 KHL seasons after his draft year, Tarasenko played 2 seasons, neither were ever 100% clear about their intentions until the end of those final seasons. It actually took an Olympic snub for Kuznetsov to make his mind up. Did that ever stop HF from voting him a top 5 prospect in the entire NHL?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
He looks like a pretty good player to me.

Could be a lot of egg on people's faces around here one day.

I actually have no problem with Gaudreau the player. He may be a star, he may get killed by the size of the league, either could very well happen. I just get annoyed with the vast majority of Flames fans that deny our players' skill, ripping on them and our team because of their size. Only to go and hype the hell out of Gaudreau, and dismiss his size disadvantage out of hand. The same arguments about our players that they used should be applied to Gaudreau, but he is above criticism in their eyes. It's maddening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad