Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2016 (POLL #5)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not a big fan of Slepyshev at all. Think he is massively overrated on these boards. Was surprised when he made the team last year but not surprised with how he looked. Having a hard time seeing him stick in the NHL. Would bet on Khaira before Slepy for sure.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not a big fan of Slepyshev at all. Think he is massively overrated on these boards. Was surprised when he made the team last year but not surprised with how he looked. Having a hard time seeing him stick in the NHL. Would bet on Khaira before Slepy for sure.

He's got speed, size and a pro shot. I like his upside but he needs to get his head around the NA game quickly. And not because the organization will push him out, but because I can see him heading back to the motherland after this year if he doesn't get an NHL paycheque.

He was 1st overall in the KHL draft for a reason.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
umm yea..
I wouldnt be too sure about D prospects..

Woywitka, Lynch, Fedun, Musil were all "surefire top 4" Dmen at one time. Griffin Reinhart and Martin Gernat also says Hi.

I will be thrilled if ONE of Bear, Paigin or Jones have a 200 game NHL career.

Musil was never surefire, hence he went in the 2nd. Woywitka was considered a good prospect but again no sure thing while he was here. Lynch and Fedun suffered career altering injuries. Gernat was never close to sure fire, simply a good prospect at the junior level.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

He has been playing against men the last 5 seasons and there is better linemates to perform with in the nhl compared to the ahl.

I believe his game will take off soon and Edmonton does have wing depth today where I could see him making other nhl teams definitely. He has size and i.q, he was getting it together the second half of his last season also.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Musil was never surefire, hence he went in the 2nd. Woywitka was considered a good prospect but again no sure thing while he was here. Lynch and Fedun suffered career altering injuries. Gernat was never close to sure fire, simply a good prospect at the junior level.

Draft plus 1 and 2 years we were all penciling in these prospects into our future lineups.. Musil was going to be that #3 shutdown Dman. Gernat was producing as good as Bear if not a little less.. Fedun was pretty much an NHLER if it wasn't for that injury. Etc etc..

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He has been playing against men the last 5 seasons and there is better linemates to perform with in the nhl compared to the ahl.

I believe his game will take off soon and Edmonton does have wing depth today where I could see him making other nhl teams definitely. He has size and i.q, he was getting it together the second half of his last season also.

I was at the rookie tournament in Pentictob last season.. Slepy looked bigger, faster and meaner than Draisaitl and had a harder shot. There was no surprise that he made big team. Not sure when and how the wheels fell off.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's got speed, size and a pro shot. I like his upside but he needs to get his head around the NA game quickly. And not because the organization will push him out, but because I can see him heading back to the motherland after this year if he doesn't get an NHL paycheque.

He's got good tools but I don't know if he has the toolbox or even enough skill to be effective. He's one of those guys that's not good enough in a top6 role and doesn't really fit in a bottom-six role. Maybe he could adapt his game to play in the bottom-six eventually but I doubt he'd be willing to. The smart move for him is to go back to Russia and earn some money while he can. Doubt he'll be too happy playing on an AHL salary for another year if he doesn't crack the NHL this year. Could see him leaving mid-season or if nothing else at the end of the year. We'll see, I hope he proves me wrong.

1st overall in KHL draft means nothing btw, these guys were also 1st overalls:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=313719
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=313719

The KHL draft doesn't have much to do with actual skill as far as I know.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
_83953404_bearreuters.jpg

These posts never get old.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Now that Bear has won I shall support Khaira.
He's too big and tenacious to not pan out as a solid bottom six guy.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

He had a great camp last year, looked like a legit player. Looked like the only player on our team who would drive the net. Really thought he would stick and have a solid season. From what I remember he also had a very good first NHL game after getting settled in as well. After that he kind of fell off, from what I hear though he finished strong in Bako. He has the style of game to translate, just as noted it may take more than one more year, and I have little doubt either him or yakimov stick around if there not NHLers by seasons end. Very talented player would be huge if he became an NHLer for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad