OT: HFNYR Official Foodie Thread including Craft Beer, Wine & Liquor

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Since pizza talk keeps creeping into most of our hockey discussions & it's usually my fault, it's about time we have a dedicated place to talk about pizza & whatever else excites your palate. I know we had an Iron Chef thread, but let's make this one open to all cuisines that are either great restaurants that we've visited or meals cooked at home by our members. Try to list the name & location of the place you went to or if you feel generous your recipe if you made it yourself! Also don't forget to post your beverages of choice here. Always fun to see what everyone is drinking, especially local beers!

Since my GF's brother is in town from Florida this week, he wanted to go for pizza, so we're considering taking him to Ignazio's in Mystic or Luna Pizza here in West Hartford. I'll let him decide, as I've been to both....

Luna....

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 4.46.51 PM.png

Ignazio's in Mystic...They also have a Brooklyn location under the Manhattan Bridge.

348s.jpg

Last edited:

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Least surprising news since Gallant getting canned. It's a meh hire which excites me about as much as a Dominos Pizza, but it could always be worse.

No matter who was going to be the next coach, he would have to deal with a roster with severe flaws and any success being contingent on the (no longer) kids breaking out.

It's just like Dominos. Get sufficiently intoxicated and you think it's the world greatest pizza.....

Get sufficiently intoxicated and hiring Laviolette looks like we just hired Scotty Bowman. It's science.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I think NY pizza is a bit overrated but I think NY Chinese food is the best.
As someone who lived outside of NYC for well over a decade, this is hyperbole. Pizza might not be your thing & that's ok, but nobody does it better than NYC. There are hidden gems in every region, (I actually found a decent Neapolitan style pizzeria in Bismarck, ND....not joking) but they are outliers & very hard to come by. Chinese food is not my thing, so I can't comment.

Honestly, most pizza is pretty bad once you leave the northeast. Hell it starts to get really bad once you leave a 100 mile radius outside the City. So bad that most people in the southwest dip it in ranch dressing to drown out the taste.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The pizza in St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit all have something to offer true connoisseurs of the medium. Can’t say the same for the so-called Hartford style.
There is no Hartford Style...I think you mean New Haven? And I'd agree...it's overrated because one particular dude, with a ton of influence & a huge following, labeled it the pizza capital of the world.

Detroit is just a trendy name for Sicilian with a thicker crust & ton of meat piled on it. St Louis pizza uses provolone mixed with mozzarella with the worst crust known to man...they should stick to fried ravioli. Chicago style is not pizza...cheese casserole sure, pizza it is not.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As someone who lived outside of NYC for well over a decade, this is hyperbole. Pizza might not be your thing & that's ok, but nobody does it better than NYC. There are hidden gems in every region, (I actually found a decent Neapolitan style pizzeria in Bismarck, ND....not joking) but they are outliers & very hard to come by. Chinese food is not my thing, so I can't comment.

Honestly, most pizza is pretty bad once you leave the northeast. Hell it starts to get really bad once you leave a 100 mile radius outside the City. So bad that most people in the southwest dip it in ranch dressing to drown out the taste.
I lived half my life in NY and half outside NY. I have found there is good and bad pizza in many locations. I'm not talking about a style of pizza (like thin vs thick). I'm saying there is good and bad thin cheese pizza in NY and other places as well. Some will disagree but I just do not think NY Pizza is that earth shattering. Just like cheese steaks. You don't need to be in Philly to get a great cheesesteak. The food I have found significantly better in NY was Chinese food. I would rate NY Chinese food a 10.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I lived half my life in NY and half outside NY. I have found there is good and bad pizza in many locations. I'm not talking about a style of pizza (like thin vs thick). I'm saying there is good and bad thin cheese pizza in NY and other places as well. Some will disagree but I just do not think NY Pizza is that earth shattering. Just like cheese steaks. You don't need to be in Philly to get a great cheesesteak. The food I have found significantly better in NY was Chinese food. I would rate NY Chinese food a 10.

I agree and disagree. There is certainly bad pizza in NY and there is good pizza outside of Ny as well. however, I do think it is much harder to find good pizza out of NY, or chicago. Like Pizza in Cali was awful in most places i went to.

Bagels are a whole different story. Bagels are seriously better in NY and same with Chinese food.

If i want good Mexican food, u cant beat Texas.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree and disagree. There is certainly bad pizza in NY and there is good pizza outside of Ny as well. however, I do think it is much harder to find good pizza out of NY, or chicago. Like Pizza in Cali was awful in most places i went to.

Bagels are a whole different story. Bagels are seriously better in NY and same with Chinese food.

If i want good Mexican food, u cant beat Texas.
I do enjoy TexMex in Texas for sure. Ironically my favorite fajitas are at a place called Torchy Tacos (now a franchise). They are not traditional but their flavors are awesome.
Bagels in NY are good. I would say 20% better than outside of NY.

Reactions: Ruggs225

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes, and I'm saying that no NYer would order Dominos in the first place...;). He must be from out of town.
LOL Dominos has hundreds of NY locations. Somebody is ordering it. :)

I understand the sentiment though.

Reactions: HANK30

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Anyone who says NY pizza is overrated hasn't had good pizza in NY.

Yes there are shitty spots but there are spots that are absolutely incredible, even more so in comparison to most of the country. Baby Lucs would be considered witchcraft in most states and its the 5th or 6th best spot in a 2 mile radius of where it exists.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
My reply wasn't meant to imply that all NYC is good, that certainly is not the case. But in general, most average NYC pizza is better than 99% of California pizzerias. That's not to say I haven't had very good pizza in California...I have, but it's pretty rare.

The reason I mentioned that pizzeria I stumbled upon in Bismarck because I was trying to find a steakhouse. Oddly enough, the state capital of North Dakota, smack dab in the middle of the Heartland, USA doesn't have a proper, traditional steakhouse. The closest thing I saw listed was a steakhouse with Japanese fusion. I passed on that, but when the food at the local brewery wasn't cutting it, we sought out other options. The pizzeria looked decent in photos & they had one of those old world ovens straight from Naples. I gotta say it was pretty damn good.

Anyone who says NY pizza is overrated hasn't had good pizza in NY.

Yes there are shitty spots but there are spots that are absolutely incredible, even more so in comparison to most of the country. Baby Lucs would be considered witchcraft in most states and its the 5th or 6th best spot in a 2 mile radius of where it exists.
OMG, this place looks amazing. I love airy square slices like this. So hard to get it right.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Dominoes isnt pizza though. It is like a fast food. And is great to have every once in a while.
I haven't had it in at least 8 years but on that day the steak pizza (had very little steak) and chicken tenders were pretty good.

Reactions: Ruggs225

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
There is no Hartford Style...I think you mean New Haven? And I'd agree...it's overrated because one particular dude, with a ton of influence & a huge following, labeled it the pizza capital of the world.

Detroit is just a trendy name for Sicilian with a thicker crust & ton of meat piled on it. St Louis pizza uses provolone mixed with mozzarella with the worst crust known to man...they should stick to fried ravioli. Chicago style is not pizza...cheese casserole sure, pizza it is not.
1. Agree on New Haven style. Same goes for ‘California style’.
2. Detroit style is significantly different from Sicilian style
3. St. Louis pizza is love it or hate it (I love it), but yes, significantly different from most other pizza.
4. Tend to agree on Chicago style, but I enjoy it.

New York style pizza probably my third favorite, after St. Louis and Detroit.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My reply wasn't meant to imply that all NYC is good, that certainly is not the case. But in general, most average NYC pizza is better than 99% of California pizzerias. That's not to say I haven't had very good pizza in California...I have, but it's pretty rare.

The reason I mentioned that pizzeria I stumbled upon in Bismarck because I was trying to find a steakhouse. Oddly enough, the state capital of North Dakota, smack dab in the middle of the Heartland, USA doesn't have a proper, traditional steakhouse. The closest thing I saw listed was a steakhouse with Japanese fusion. I passed on that, but when the food at the local brewery wasn't cutting it, we sought out other options. The pizzeria looked decent in photos & they had one of those old world ovens straight from Naples. I gotta say it was pretty damn good.

OMG, this place looks amazing. I love airy square slices like this. So hard to get it right.
Never visited California but if I did I would go to a lot of the places "how kev eats" shows online. His food videos look good usually although no pizza.

Im more of a stromboli guy than pizza guy.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
1. Agree on New Haven style. Same goes for ‘California style’.
2. Detroit style is significantly different from Sicilian style
3. St. Louis pizza is love it or hate it (I love it), but yes, significantly different from most other pizza.
4. Tend to agree on Chicago style, but I enjoy it.

New York style pizza probably my third favorite, after St. Louis and Detroit.
The only difference from Detroit & Sicilian when it's done right is letting the dough rise longer for a Detroit & cooking it in a taller oiled pan so the crust chars with cheese & oil. I've had it in a couple places that knew what they were doing & it was very good. People in the midwest love their greasy meats on pizza, however & it becomes an oily, soggy mess most of the time.

Personally I'll take Sicilian or a good grandma pie over a Detroit 99.9 times out of 100.

Lately I've been hooked on the Romana style places have been popping up around Queens & Long Island. It's very wet almost neopolitan style dough that cooks up extremely crunchy on the outside but light & airy in the middle. Philomena's in Sunnyside, Darios in West Hempstead, Chef Gigi's in Franklin Sq & now this Baby Luc place that @GoAwayPanarin just posted. It's heaven on a plate.

Last edited:

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I like Dominos to be honest. They put a good amount of sauce on the pizza. I hate no sauce horseshit. I'm poor so that also might have something to do with it.

Also, I like deep dish the most/Chicago style. Just so much sauce. I am really just here for the sauce and the crust. I can take or leave the cheese.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Very hit or miss. Arcaro & Genelli was very good.

This however.... is a trajedy....American cheese on pizza is a crime against humanity...

View attachment 718193
Arcaro’s is good, nice atmosphere too and Italian beer on tap, cannolis are huge haha

Revello’s across the street is decent

I like the double crust white from Colarusso’s Cafe in Avoca personally

Sabatini’s in Exeter is great as well

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Well, you can see from the info on the side where I am currently living. But, I am a self-designated New York pizza snob. And while you can get some decent pizza here, it just doesn't compare to NY pizza. My mantra is pretty simple: if a place advertises New York pizza, it is best to run away as fast as you can. It's even worse when it comes to bagels (especially bagels) and Chinese food.

I've also been lucky to travel to Italy many times. Best pizza I've ever had? At the source in Naples. The thing about pizza in Italy is that it varies in style and preparation from region to region. I've had just amazing pizza in Sicily, Verona, and Rome among other places. I've also had some so-so pizza.

But New York pizza? Outside of Italy, it is by far the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad