HFNHL: Washington Capitals Aggressive in "Pre Agency"

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Capitals Secure Veteran Leadership
Washington, DC

Introductions, handshake lines, new numbers, new names, new faces. None of these things have been new for Washington Capitals head coach Ron Wilson.

"It has been a procession of talent, usually on its way out the door for another team. It's great to see that talent coming in as opposed to going out", said Wilson.

In what GM Josh Howell is calling "pre-agency", Washington has been aggressive in trading for rights of unrestricted free agents in hopes that the team will make the playoffs for the first time in five seasons with three of those being with Howell at the helm.

"We've been accused of complacency at best and neglect at worse", Howell says.

"I would hate to say that there certainly exists an element of truth to those claims. We haven't been on top of man management from the top down. Ron (Wilson), has done a tremendous job with what we've given him to work with..... which is essentially a roster full of players more likely to have success in the American league than up here".

Washington has made a run on free agency that may be unprecedented.

"We know the folly that exists in attempting to build an entire team via free agency. We have just decided that this year is the year that some of our prospects are ready to step into the lineup and be full time players and we needed to spend to the cap, unlike we've done the previous three years, and put ourselves in position to compete again. I expect there to be some uncertainty, but with the veterans we picked up we think this is going to be the start of something really special here".

Washington secured the rights and successfully signed players Jason Arnott, Jean Sebastien Giguere, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Jaroslav Spacek. Rumor has it that negotiations with Olli Jokinen and Vernon Fiddler will be starting in the coming days. These players are expected to join Radim Vrbata, Nik Zherdev, Roman Hamrlik, and Jamie McBain as part of the new core group for the Capitals.

"We're happy with our squad. We have a few things to iron out. We've signed a few rookies like Linus Omark, Ryan Stoa, and Zac Dalpe to grow and develop here and we think we have the right mix of veteran leadership and young talent to really make a difference in the Eastern Conference now".

The Capitals are said to still have a few lines in the water regarding cost effective maneuvers to avoid playing over the cap. Goaltenders Dan Ellis and Antero Niitymaki are said to be available for a song. Kyle Wellwood and Jim Vandermeer are also rumored to be cheaply had.

"We're going to give it our best shot this season", says Howell. "Prospects are nice to have, but winning is the goal here now. We've lived for the future for too long now".

Words that Capitals faithful are happy to hear, no doubt.

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
Note. Free Agency is cancelled. ;)

In completely unrelated news. Rumor has it that Richie Swingstein, the HF super agent, has just purchase a 60 foot Yacht on the Mediterranean Sea.

Richie was not available to comment but did promise to send post cards to the Washington Capitals management staff.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
In completely unrelated news. Rumor has it that Richie Swingstein, the HF super agent, has just purchase a 60 foot Yacht on the Mediterranean Sea.

Richie was not available to comment but did promise to send post cards to the Washington Capitals management staff.

Richie is very pleased to see all these signings and expects bidding war on remaining upcoming free agents.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ya way to go josh made this free agent class wayyyy weaker nobody will be coming cheap this year

I felt like the only way that I could assemble a group that could compete immediately this year was to use the system advantageously to preempt having to compete against all other teams in bidding. The agents weren't friendly in the lion's share of my negotiations, and I don't foresee them being all that lenient in my remaining ones, but the prices were somewhat cost controlled by comparison to the open market. In prior years, either through neglect or low bids, I have been nearly wholesale denied free agent acquisitions. That wasn't going to be the case this year. We're spending to the cap and we're playing to compete. I have a group of prospects that should serve as the "next wave", once these current players start to decline and retire, but it's been three years and a winning product needs to be assembled. I don't feel that I have parted with anything of tremendous value in order to discuss contracts with these players. Mostly fringe prospects, long shots, and late round picks.

No more "half in, half out", type rebuilding. We're spending money this year, but the difference is going to be that we're also going to wisely dictate ticket prices and be more on top of the operational opportunities to pick up revenue.

With that said, we've extended offers to Vernon Fiddler and Olli Jokinen to their respective agents. We anticipate adding either one or both. We also have traded for D Andy Greene who is on a very cap friendly contract for one more season.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Additionally, Nik Zherdev could be available at his $3.25 million price tag at two year term for a cheaper forward to play in my Top 9. Provisions can also be discussed in the event that he signs in the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad