HFNHL Redwings top 20.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
After years of trying to find the magic that somehow only my father has bottled up. Making a medicore roster, make the playoffs and go deep this season the Wings offically decided its time to hit the rebuild button.

With a few big pieces still on the block this list will likely change next few weeks.

1) Kaspari Kapanen

Kapanen will offically graduate off the list after this season. The Leafs are a deep team on the wings making it impossible it seemed for Kappy to nake the NHL. He finally arrived last year, playing mostly 4th line minutes and PK time. He carved out a roll making Matt Martin a 13th forward using his speed and suprising grit. Hes also been rather clutch in his short time. With JVR and Bozak moving on he likely sees 2/3rd line minutes next year.

NHL future: Top 6/9 two way forward.

2) Rasmus Andersson

Honestly i believe Andersson was criminally robbed and underrated when the top 50 prospects came out. At 21 years old he finished tied for 7th in AHL scoring for defensemen. Most of the men above him are all AHL journeymen/career minor leaguers. The issue for Andersson is he sadly plays for the flames, who have a very good top 4. He likely is a trade chip down the road for a forward who can put the puck in the net. Where he likely blooms into a great top 4 dman.

NHL future Top 4 offensice dman

3) Klim Kostin

Its really hard to guage what we have in Kostin. He played on a bad blues farm team. He got better as he adjusted to the smaller ice rinks. And had a monster WJC. He has all the makings of a top line forward question remains if its at center ice or on the wing. Its clear he wants to play in the NHL soon. And the Blues need scoring he may get an outside shot if they miss out in FA.

NHL Projection: Top Line scoring forward

4) Luke Kunin

Kunin made his NHL debut, then got hurt and missed the rest of the year. From all indications the Wild remaim very high on this kid and expect him to take an NHL gig this year. Biggest question is how high is his offensive ceiling? Can he be a top line center we are craving and every team needs? Hes a safe bet to atleast be a good 3rd line center.

NHL projection: Top 6 2 way center

5) Jon Gillies

Gillies has been a very good goalie in the AHL, hes also had some totally unreal NHL starts, followed by some rather bad ones. We still remain very high that Gillies is the heir apparent to Smith. Hes much better goalie than Riitch. However he will have to fend off Parson, who despite a bad first pro year the flames remain high on.

NHL projection: #1 goalie

6) Jake Oettinger

One of the best NCAA goalies last 2 seasons, he will likely remain there this year before turning to the AHL. His numbers were not as good as last year, but the Boston roster lost alot of its star power turning pro. He sits just behind Gillies because he is farther away from making an impact in the NHL.

NHL Projection: Number 1 goalie.

7) Pierre Olivet Joseph

Joseph is a slick puck moving defender capable of running a power play. Another strong season, in juniors where he is expected to return once again. Unless he really stands out at Arizonas camp.

NHL project: Top 4 puck moving dman

8) Ty Lewis

Lewis, is a big riser on this list, expected to turn pro next year Lewis capped his overage year with 100point season. Some questions about how he projects in the long term.

NHL projection: Top 9 winger

9) Sean Day

Hes a project, but seems most of his issues hes getting over. He has all the tools to be a top tier defender, but its likely he settles into a lesser roll at this point.

NHL Projection: Top 4/6 mobile defender

10) Alexei Lipanov

Kostin first north american season was rough. But Lipanovs was a straight mess, he was at one point playing with 2nd overall pick in Barrie. Lets hope he can adjust and rise back up this list the Wings still hope he can be a solid second line center.

NHL projection Top 6/9 2 way center

11) Flip Westerlund

Playing against men Westerlund held his own. His numbers leave something to be desired, but he still seems to have all the tools to be a good NHL defensemen how high on the ladder remains to be seen.

NHL projection: Top 6 2 way dman

12) Ostap Safin

Question with Safin always was his offense and like Lipanov the question was not fully answered. I believe his ceiling is that off a 3rd line forward at best.

NHL projection: Top 9 2 way forward.

13) Caleb Jones

Jones had a pretty decent first pro season, some in Edmonton wondered if he might make an NHL debut as soon as next year. I think Jones has all the tools to be a very effect 4/5 dman in the NHL.

NHL projection: Top 6 physical defensive defender.

14) Maksim Sushko

Sushko had an amazing world juniors for a very bad team. He also had a pretty good season in the CHL. However i think it still translates to being a top 9 guy later down the road

NHL projection: Top 9 forward

15) Linus Karlsson

As a few pointed out, one of the biggest reasons i drafted Karlsson was his underlying numbers suggest he not only makes smart plays, but.makes everyone he plays with better. Karlsson i think can become a high riser on the list if he can overcome that skating concerns though they arent all thay bad.

NHL projection: Long term top 6 forward.

16) Ben Gleason

Another hard piece to place on my list Gleason has gotten better every year in the OHL. To the point hes atleast a legit NHL prospect. He projects to be a solid bottom pairing defender.

NHL projection: Top 6 defender

17) Markus Karlberg

Was drafted over 100 spots higher than i took him. Meaning GMs see like me his size, might not be an issue that he is skilled enough to make an impact at the NHL level. Hes a long way away from being ready which is why he sits lower on this list.

NHL Projection: Long term project top 6 winger

18) Curtis Douglas

A giant on skates, Douglas has a good skill set. Hes an above average skater atleast for a man his size. Hes probably going to be a bottom 6 center as his offensive ceiling just isnt that high.

NHL projection: Bottom 6 defensive center

19) Matthew Kellenberger

OJHL defender of the year, obviously not a fancy award but it shows significant progress. Kellenberger is at best a good bottom pairing defender at the NHL level

NHL projection: Long term project top 6 dman

20) Nick Campoli

He doesnt dominate the OJHL like a 19 year old should which means his offense is probably rather limited in the bigs. I believe he can carve out an NHL role as a bottom 6 forward.

NHL projection: long term project bottom 6 forward

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad