HFNHL NYI Top 20 Prospects

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
Updated NYI Top 20 Prospects

Going to jump on the train and take a look at the upcoming youth in the HF Islanders organization.

With 13 picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts there will be an influx of talent arriving to this list in the upcoming years.

1. Kent Johnson (2)

Has had a great rookie year in Columbus, while the Blue Jackets are in the Bedard lottery, Johnson has shown the ability to translate his college game to the NHL. I think we’ve all seen the Michigan he just did.

2. William Eklund (1)

His first full season in North America has been a success. His game has translated well playing top six minutes in the AHL and producing points. He does not seem to fit the Sharks ideal mold of a prospect which could be concerning for his future development.

3. Kaiden Guhle (4)

His rookie year has been riddled with injuries but when he has played he has looked like the future leader of the Habs. Plays a solid two-way game, has provided offence and could man the powerplay if needed.

4. Lane Hutson (10)

Clearly, he’s going to be the greatest offensive defenceman of all-time. I loved the talent when I drafted him last year, but never expected him to break freshman records in the NCAA. His defence still needs improvement if he wants to become a top pairing or even top four defenceman. However, he will make the NHL and will produce points at the minimum.

5. Brad Lambert (3)

It was a giant gamble taking Lambert 6th overall last year and at the start of the year I was concerned with the lack of production. The best move for him was sending him to the WHL. Playing with players his age for the first time in four years and is dominating. He looks most comfortable playing centre and could stick there for his career.

6. Fabian Lysell (6)

Started the year on a tear in the AHL, struggled in the WJC, but has still been able to produce near the end of the year. His skating and stick handling will carry him, but he needs to work on his ability to think the game faster if he wants to reach his ceiling.

7. Sebastian Cossa (5)

After a subpar start to his ECHL campaign, Cossa has improved drastically. He seems to rack up wins in every level he plays, he has 24 for Toledo with a .914 SV%. Goalies are always a crapshoot but his second half of the season looks promising for the future.

8. Ethan Del Mastro (New)

Del Mastro, recently acquired, has shown a strong two-way game, with the offence increasing ever since getting traded to the Sting. The big test will be turning professional, can his game keep up with the pace of the NHL.

9. Justin Sourdif (7)

In his first professional year Sourdif has been a useful piece for the Charlotte Checkers. His two-way ability will allow him to play in the bottom-six with potential to end up as a middle-six winger.

10. Jordan Spence (8)

Make it back-to-back 40-point AHL seasons for Jordan Spence. He is finally starting to get more time with the Kings, but their abundance of right-handed defenceman leaves him fighting for ice time.

11. Jackson Blake (16)

Probably the pick I was most excited for in my 2021 draft. Blake has absolutely torn up the NCAA at North Dakota. His skill is undeniable producing 42 points in 39 games as a freshman.

12. Jack Peart (9)

Peart has continued to foster his two-way game at St. Cloud. He continues to lean on his ability to scan the ice and find open passing lanes. He has the ability to reach his ceiling as a minute-eating top four defenceman.

13. Dylan Duke (20)

Duke does one thing extremely well, being a pest in front of the net and finding the back of the net. In a larger role in his second year at Michigan, Duke continued to show his offensive value.

14. Devin Kaplan (15)

Not often do you leave junior hockey into a larger role, but that’s what Kaplan did in his first year at BU. Kaplan has a strong ability to make the correct first pass. His defensive ability is still quite strong. If he can continue to elevate the offence, he has a chance of being a middle-six winger.

15. Isaiah Saville (New)

Saville is someone I was targeting in the 2019 draft. He played majority of the year on a terrible Savannah team in the ECHL. He had a 3.09 GAA with a .920 SV%. Get this man some help!

16. Brayden Tracey (11)

Tracey’s development seems to have hit a wall. With a ton of talent on and upcoming for the Ducks, Tracey seems to be on the back burner. If he can improve his defensive game maybe he will get a chance as a bottom-six winger.

17. Vladimir Grudinin (12)

Grudinin still hasn’t been given a proper opportunity playing in the KHL. He has shown the same weaknesses on defence as he did in his draft year, but he needs more minutes to see him develop.

18. Linus Karlsson (13)

Karlsson had a great first season in North America finishing with 45 points in 65 games. He should see action next season in the Canucks bottom-six.

19. Tyler Kleven (17)

After finishing his final year at North Dakota, Kleven has signed his ELC with the senators. His offence is still non-existent but he’s big, fast and can crush people, so he will be coveted in the NHL.

20. Vyacheslav Peksa (New)

In his first full season in the VHL, Peksa continued to post solid numbers with a .920 SV%. He did so on a poor Bars Kazan team, posting a 13-19-6 record.

HMs
Emil Heineman (14)
Alex Steeves (18)
Nick Abruzzese (19)
Danila Klimovich (New)
Jordan Gustafsson (HM)
Lukas Gustafsson (HM)
Matt Murray (HM)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Quite a list and a remarkable number of interesting players to track in there between Hutson, Lambert and others.

Obviously Hutson's season has been remarkable, but I'll be interested to see how he does next year at the WJC. I still worry about the feet when the pace increases, but the kind of player you hope hits because he makes the game more fun to watch.

Also, as a Sens fan, I've come around on Kleven and would have him a touch higher. He won't be a powerplay guy in the NHL, but he's not a black hole with the puck either, given the mobility.

Reactions: Zack22

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
Quite a list and a remarkable number of interesting players to track in there between Hutson, Lambert and others.

Obviously Hutson's season has been remarkable, but I'll be interested to see how he does next year at the WJC. I still worry about the feet when the pace increases, but the kind of player you hope hits because he makes the game more fun to watch.

Also, as a Sens fan, I've come around on Kleven and would have him a touch higher. He won't be a powerplay guy in the NHL, but he's not a black hole with the puck either, given the mobility.
I have a feeling Kleven will be a useful NHL player for a while, just doesn't have the upside as other players on the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00