HFNHL Lightning 2021 Draft Recap

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
After a few cap related trades last offseason we were heading into this draft with some extra picks to work with. Then at the trade deadline things got really interesting, as Patrik Laine was traded for a 1st rounder that would end up as the 6th pick, giving us 11 picks in total to work with.

In the week leading up to the draft a series of trades were made to shore up the 2nd line as Travis Konecny & Kevin Labanc were both brought in leaving the team with 8 picks as the draft kicked off.

1.6 - Dylan Guenther, RW - 6' 1, 180 lbs - Edmonton, WHL

Guenther-1024x688.jpg

As I prepped for this unusual draft class I identified 3 players I liked and I felt confident I would get my choice of at least a couple. As it turned out one was left on the board when my pick came up but he was the 2nd ranked option so I was happy.

Guenther is a high end all-around offensive threat. He combines strong skating, a great shot, good playmaking all in a solid frame. He was the 2020 WHL Rookie of the Year, then took it up a notch, and put up 24 points in 12 games this season. He didn't play his best at the U18's so some people are down on him but I'm happy to scoop him up. Hoping for at least one more dominant WHL season before any attempt to bring him into the NHL.

2.58 - Brent Johnson, D - 5' 11, 165 lbs - Sioux Falls, USHL

Johnson-Brent.jpg

My shortlist for this pick dried up really quickly in the 10 picks leading up to me but I was happy to see Johnson still on the board for me. He's a smooth skating offensive minded D that finished 5th in D scoring in the USHL as a rookie racking up 11g-21a-32p in 47 games for Sioux Falls. There's still some work to do building strength and improving play in the defensive zone but he has the makings of a modern day defender that can works to prevent scoring chances against by controlling the puck offensively. Johnson is committed to the University of North Dakota.

3.94 - Ryan Ufko, D - 5' 10, 178 lbs - Chicago, USHL

Ryan-Ufko.jpg

I went back to the USHL for another D in the same mold as Johnson. Ufko is another modern day offensive minded D that combines strong skating and puck skills to control the play. He was the top scoring D on the best team in the USHL putting up 10g-29a-39p in 50 games, good for 3rd in the league. Ufko is committed to U-Mass and will be another longer term project.

A last second trade of pick 96 brought an end to our Day One selections. For the first time in recent memory we drafted only NA born players. With 4 selections on Day Two as of this writing we'll see if that trend continues.

Chris1989

Jul 9, 2021
Solid pickup with Brent Johnson. If I was at the draft and never had to send a list, I may have picked someone else instead of Gaudreau but hey, it is what it is. No regrets.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Solid pickup with Brent Johnson. If I was at the draft and never had to send a list, I may have picked someone else instead of Gaudreau but hey, it is what it is. No regrets.

I was curious about that when Gaudreau was next up after already taking a goalie. Doesn't hurt to have 2 top prospects at the position in the end but may have been nice to spread out the love a little. Here's hoping he pans out and you can make next years draft.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Time for a look at our Day 2 selections now that we're back from a post draft celebratory camping trip...

4.98 - Justin Robidas, C - 5' 7, 172 lbs - Val-d'Or, QMJHL

cut.jpg

Robidas comes with a lot of risk given his size but he's not someone that plays like he's 5'7. Perhaps that doesn't translate to the NHL but he has all the attributes you would want in a hockey player, plus the bloodlines to give him the inside edge. He's an excellent skater, has good skill to create offense, and best of all, he's a high character guy that every team would like to have.

4.102 - Liam Dower Nilsson, C - 5' 11, 172 lbs - Frolunda, J20

14-dower-nilsson,-liam-(25)-ep.jpg

Another high character player, Dower-Nilsson was given the 'C' for Sweden's U18 team this year. He didn't have the strongest tournament, which didn't help his draft stock, but I still like the skill & hockey IQ package that he brings. If he can shore up his defensive game a little I think he has a shot at being a 3C.

4.113 - Ty Voit, C - 5' 9, 150 lbs - Sarnia, OHL

1201936311.5.jpg

A few sources were rather high on Voit, including our very own OHL expert, so I jumped on my yearly OHL selection. Probably someone I would normally look to grab in the 5th, but without a selection until late, it had to be now. Another smaller player, Voit brings high end play making and strong skating as his strengths. Hoping for a strong season in the OHL this year to show more people what he can do.

6.186 - Matteo Costantini, C - 6', 184 lbs - Sioux City, USHL

28-costantini,-matteo-(108).jpg

A HFNHL re-entry selection, Costantini was selected by the Sabres in the 5th round last year. He brings a decent set of tools with a high compete level, good skating and above average skill level. As a University of North Dakota commit he's going to get the time he needs to try putting it all together over the next 2-3 years but I'm happy with him as a late round selection.

Looking back, I'm fairly happy with the draft class. I didn't get my top target at each spot but they were all players on my short list, and as an added bonus, all of them were selected in the NHL. Out of character this year, my draft class doesn't have any Russian players, and only 1 European player period, meanwhile the USHL lead the way with 3 selections. Strange times indeed.
  • USHL: 3
  • WHL: 1
  • OHL: 1
  • QMJHL: 1
  • SWE J20: 1

Reactions: Zack22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad