HFNHL Flames - 2018 Making the Cut

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames have had a glut of graduations in the last few seasons so they expect to have fewer NHL rookies this season.

PROSPECTS STILL IN CAMP

Andrei Svechnikov - the 2nd overall pick is close to a lock to make the squad in Carolina. He's had a nice training camp so far, has shown his skill level but has been a bit tentative and expectations should be lowered as far as his immediate impact goes.

Dominik Simon - Easy to forget Simon is still a prospect as he's already had parts of two seasons in the NHL.

AJ Greer - he has a real opportunity to become a full-time NHL'er this season, although a full season of hockey on a top line in the AHL could still be a benefit.

Cameron Hughes - he's elevated his status in his first full pro training camp, with a couple of pre-season game goals and great all-around play.

Filip Pyrochta - has been called a 'pleasant surprise' but can't see how he'll make that top 7 D in Nashville.

Jake McGrew - had a good summer with an unexpected call-up to the US Summer Showcase roster. He's expected back in the WHL this season but hasn't been sent down yet by the Sharks. EDIT: Just signed his ELC today.

Tanner Kaspick - realistically there are no roster spots available and he's been injured most of the training camp - the first-year pro will eventually be sent down to the AHL.

Nicholas Caamano - showed really well in camp so far but its unlikely he'll crack the NHL roster. Another first-year player who will start in the AHL.

Austin Strand - still in camp but has been injured throughout.

THE UDFA'S STILL IN CAMP

Jusso Riikola - the Finnish defenseman has opened eyes this training camp - skating, scoring goals, making great defensive plays and hitting without fear. He's older than Olli Maatta and has the pro experience that should help him make the jump. Could he slot in on the bottom pairing in Pittsburgh to start the season?

Nick Lappin - he's been on the verge for a couple of seasons but this season has been making waves in camp. He's fitter and more prepared than in previous years and has been riding shotgun with Hall in camp.

Eric Robinson - Getting some time playing with Oliver Bjorkstrand against the Penguins as we write this.

Andrew Oglivie - has scored some goals in pre-season but the first year pro will probably head down soon.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
How do you guys always find these? I can't tell half of whose still at camp and not minus my bigger name guys

Personally, I do a few things.

1/ I have bookmarks to the eliteprospects page of each of my prospects and players. I have them arranged by NHL player or minor player, or draft year etc. Eliteprospects does a pretty good job of keeping track of player movement.

2/ I twitter search my prospects once in a while to find out what people are seeing or watch highlights and twitter will show player movement as well (back in the day I had google alerts set up for my key prospects but that became way too much info).

3/ I peruse the transactions pages of capfriendly and tsn - usually hunting for unsigned free agents or players to keep track of who might sign NHL deals.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Personally, I do a few things.

1/ I have bookmarks to eliteprospects of each of my prospects and players. I have them arranged by NHL player or minor player, or draft year etc. Eliteprospects does a pretty good job of keeping track of player movement.

2/ I twitter search my prospects once in a while to find out what people are seeing or watch highlights and twitter will show player movement as well (back in the day I had google alerts set up for my key prospects but that became way too much info).

3/ I peruse the transactions pages of capfriendly and tsn - usually hunting for unsigned free agents or players to keep track of who might sign NHL deals.

4/ If I don't see player movement or stats, then I just google and see what's up. Usually that indicates injury or going to play Canadian college.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
With a few days before the season starts, Simon, Svechnikov and Riikola look most likely to make the rosters. They remain in camp, with Strand (injured) and Nick Lappin.

EDIT: Lappin sent down....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad