HFNHL Entry Draft Review: Anaheim Ducks

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Before I review the Ducks' haul, some quick insight into my drafting philosophy...

I generally consider myself a BPA drafter. If you look at my drafting history, I don't have any particular bias, except for that my assessment of the "Russian factor" is more severe than most people's.

On Day One of the draft, I allow for a fair deal of flexibility in my list, as I try to feel the flow of the draft. On Day Two of the draft, I select players strictly in numerical order of value. If I end up with four goalies, so be it.

Anyhow...

Round 1:13 (NHL 2:33) - Rocco Grimaldi, C, USNTDP

As I expected, Grimaldi slid a little on NHL draft day due to his size. That said, his diminutive stature is the only real knock on him as a player. Quite possible he may have to shift to the wing as a pro.

Round 2:43 (NHL 2:36) - Adam Clendening, D, Boston Univ.

No doubt Clendening is a player that NHL teams had rated all over the place. Some teams probably see him as a real question mark due to skating issues for a sub 6-foot blueliner. Others, like me, see a heady PP QB who, if he solves his skating issues, could follow in BU alum Kevin Shattenkirk's footsteps.

Round 3:68 (NHL 4:115) - Marek Tvrdon, RW, Vancouver Giants

This was a case where I allowed for some elasticity in my draft list, as I had a feeling Tvrdon wouldn't last much longer. This bull of a winger is a classic boom-or-bust pick, especially since he's coming off of knee surgery and only played in 12 games last season.

Round 3:73 (NHL 2:52) - Miikka Salomaki, W, Karpat Oulu

A bit of a safe pick coming after the Tvrdon selection, Salomaki has a high motor and is a pain in the tail to play against. Has already played a full season against men in the SM-Liiga. Lacks a top-end gear, which may limit his upside to that of a third line role player.

Round 6:163 (2010 4:91) - Jeremie Blain, D, Acadie-Bathurst Titan

Foot surgery limited Blain to half a season in the Q this year, but in 40 games he put up 37 points. Has some upside as a #2 PP unit contributor. An HF Article done in February listed Blain as the 5th best drafted defenseman in the Q - ahead of the likes of Eric Gelinas and C-O Roussel.

Round 6:169 (2010 3:88) - Max Gaede, RW, Sioux City Musketeers

Gaede's a bit of a project. He put up 28 points in 54 games this past season in the USHL, and is currently committed to play at Minnesota State - Mankato next season. He's a big kid with skill that works hard, but his skating needs to catch up with the rest of his game.

Round 7:193 (NHL 3:66) - T.J. Tynan, C, Notre Dame Univ.

Basically, Tynan found himself traded on draft day for former super-prospect Nikita Filatov. I guess that says something about Filatov, but it also says something about the diminutive Tynan, who passed through the 2010 draft altogether. Tynan was the CCHA Rookie of the Year this season, winning the award over the likes of Jon Merrill. The previous season, he lead the USHL in assists. Size is an issue, but he's competitive and smart as hell.

Round 7:196 (Undrafted) - Albert Yarullin, D, Kazan

Despite my Russian bias, I took a late-round flyer on Yarullin because he put up 11 assists and was a +12 at the U-18s (led the tournament in both of those statistical categories). Still went undrafted. Oh well.

Round 7:199 (2010 7:191) - Mac Carruth, G, Portland Winterhawks

The Ducks ended up with this selection because the Detroit GM is a jerk and just HAD to have J.P. Anderson. ;)

Seriously though, Carruth put up good numbers, both regular season and playoffs, behind a powerful Winterhawks team last season. Played well enough to get himself to the US National Junior Evaluation Camp in August.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Round 3:68 (NHL 4:115) - Marek Tvrdon, RW, Vancouver Giants

This was a case where I allowed for some elasticity in my draft list, as I had a feeling Tvrdon wouldn't last much longer. This bull of a winger is a classic boom-or-bust pick, especially since he's coming off of knee surgery and only played in 12 games last season.

He actually has a shoulder injury not a knee injury (RLR is responsible for this misinformation I think.) He torn the labrum in his shoulder - which is a pretty brutal injury (and one I'm familiar with as it was one of the injuries I suffered a few years ago.. here is a tip - don't arm tackle 220 lb dogs that are jumping off a wall...) - however it was surgically repaired and Tvrdon should make a full comeback to start the new season. And I think it's far better than a similar hip injury, or one of the various soft tissue knee injuries as it's unlikely to impact his potential career - however it obviously made it hard to judge his talent level based on just a handful of games. Still - I was surprised he was drafted so high in the NHL - though I know us HF'ers are much more on the ball for 'sleepers' than the NHL scouts...

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Round 7:199 (2010 7:191) - Mac Carruth, G, Portland Winterhawks

The Ducks ended up with this selection because the Detroit GM is a jerk and just HAD to have J.P. Anderson. ;)

Always willing to trade Anderson for Rinne or Martin Jones that you beat me to in the past :P
Seriously I knew you'd likely be after him and since, for a rare change, a actually got to pick before you on Day 2 I had Anderson right at the top of my list (2nd technically).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad