HFNHL Ducks 2019 Draft Review

Regal Beagles

Feb 28, 2013
Pick 20: Thomas Harley (NHL Pick 18 - Dallas Stars).
Full disclosure, our target was German defender Moritz Seider or Philip Tomasino. Both players went just before this pick. The Ducks tried heavily to move up to take G Spencer Knight, but nothing was working out on the trade front. Harley is an exceptional consolation prize and we were delighted he was there. Our mock draft had him going a few picks higher. While our prospect list is limited, it is especially so at D. At 6'3 and with his puck moving ability, he has he the skills to play the next level and have an impact. Jumping from 15 points last year to 58 this year projects well for his development.

Pick 29: John Beecher (NHL pick 30 - Boston Bruins)
Fingers were heavily crossed at picks 27-29 that Beecher would still be there. We thought when the Devils moved up to pick 29 that we were screwed. With McDavid anchoring the team at C, it was important to find a potential long term second line C and this was the target. He's big and can skate with offensive upside. Going to Boston in the NHL makes us even happier.

Pick 60: Robert Mastrosimone (NHL Pick 54 - Detroit Red Wings)
We spent a lot of time researching players from the mighty United States and Mastrosimone was one we were hoping would be there around pick 60. We had several talks to move down but nothing was close enough to risk losing him. The Ducks like selected high energy players with a wide skill set now, after reaching on size guys in the past. While he may not be a top player, he certainly projects well as a third line player. This is important for our group.

Pick 172: Lukas Parik (NHL Pick 87 - Los Angeles Kings)
Full disclosure, the Ducks list was provided to take the highest selected goalies available for both of our late picks. We were delighted to see the Kings to take the 6'4 goalie in the third round. This was a major climb and gives our team a decent goalie project on the prospect list.

Pick 210: Samuel Hlavaj (NHL Pick - not selected)
See above. Hopefully he emerges at some point.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm still not exactly sure what happened for me at 19 when one of my primary targets (Harley) was on the board and I traded down. After Brock selected Seider I immediately made an offer to you for 20 to try jumping back up with no luck. I'll be following his development closely to see how he stacks up against Robertson.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Interesting. I’m not sure Beecher has enough offence to ever play more than a bottom-6 role... but he could nevertheless be a key role player on a championship team.

I don’t recall who you were after when you offered me a 2020 2nd (that you’ve since moved) for my picks at 75 and 76, but Mastrosimone at 60 was already a solid pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad