(HFNHL) Coyotes' prospeects starting to turn the corner

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
In Phoenix the rebuild is entering it's 4th year. It may have finally reached it's point in which Phoenix can be considered a legitimate contender. Phil Kessel Leads the HFNHL in goals, and points, Steve Mason is standing strong in net, with a solid back-up in Michael Leighton supporting him, Phoenix is 11th in the league overall, and is 1 pt. out of the Pacific Division lead, and isn't showing any sign of slowing down.

Prospect wise, debuts are also becoming a daily occurance for the Coyotes. Tyler Ennis who debuted last year, is showing to be having a very strong sophmore season. Justin Abdelkader has also becoming a NHL regular and is playing a high energy game while putting up some points. Nick Spaling is another player who is playing a strong defensive game, and is finally an NHL regular, with offensive upside. Theo Peckham is an NHL regular for the first time this year, and has put up a surprising amount of points for someone who's game is centered around playing a physically punishing style.

This year has seen even more Coyotes prospects make the jump. Cody Hodgson has finally made the jump, and is playing well dispite the lack of shifts he's recieving. Highly regarded offensive defenceman Jonathon Blum is now up with the big club, and promptly scored on a low point blast for his first NHL goal. 1st round draft pick from back in 2007; Mark Katic put up an assist in his first NHL game. Of course the big story out of this group is Matt Calvert, who has 10 goals in 24 games, which includes 6 in his last 5 games. Calvert who just turned 21 has launched himself into potentially being an important player for Phoenix as soon as next year.

Time will tell who will make the big jump next, and it could be interesting to see who is next in line on the Coyotes radar with the HFNHL draft, only 3 months away.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
And this should be an example to new GM's about how to rebuild. That franchise was once in a sordid state and you've done very well - and have shown considerable patience and I'm glad its paying off.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It could just as easily apply to me too, only I have been impatient longer than Al. Flipping Doughty for Tavares and then for a package of talent 2 years away. It's like delaying your own rebuild for hope of a better future on the horizon. I can't say the Capitals are in a LOT better shape than when I took them over at this point. Too much changing lanes and changing direction while riding the line between immediate contention and future considerations. I think I finally have a direction worth sticking to now, but it has taken a couple of seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad