HFNHL Capitals 2015 Entry Draft Review

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Despite finishing with the worst overall record, Washington found themselves picking 2nd overall in perhaps one of the most important drafts to have the 1st overall pick in league history. Fortunately, the draft had 2 future superstars at the top. 3 if you would count Marner. I remember around the time of this draft that my personal preference at 3rd overall would have been Hanifin over Marner, so it's incredibly fortunate for me that I ended up 2nd overall.

1st Round - 2nd overall - C Jack Eichel

Eichel, most recently sent to the champion Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Auston Matthews, was everything we expected him to be. At the time of the draft there were Mike Modano type projections and he has done nothing to make those comparisons unrealistic. Buffalo has done a poor job insulating him with the talent and motivation around him to maximize his prime years, but they're looking to change that perhaps at Eichel's behest. There's no reason to expect anything but continued success for Eichel and we were glad to see him claim the HFNHL's top prize as a member of the Lightning.

2nd Round - 31st overall - C Jack Roslovic

Washington was happy to see Roslovic still available here and took him with the first pick of the 2nd round. In the NHL he was taken 25th overall by Winnipeg which has been a blessing and curse. The Jets have had their lineup locked up with quality top six forwards for so long that it has taken Roslovic several years already to get even consistent 3rd line minutes. Last year he started to show a pulse with positive possession numbers and a 35 point pace. At only 23, there's still time for Roslovic to further establish himself as a top 6 forward but he needs that opportunity soon. Washington later deal Roslovic in a trade for Nino Neiderreiter in '17.

2nd Round - 35th overall - C Jeremy Bracco

Bracco is another interesting case. As the 1st of these players to still be Capitals property, the organization had high hopes for his development after finishing a career with the development program that saw him post r4ecord breaking point totals and especially relevant assist numbers. Bracco has always been a conflicting player and many could argue with success that he was overdrafted in this slot, as later worked out true on draft day, but Washington was intrigued by his unique vision and playmaking ability. Those aspects haven't failed him as a professional with 113 assists in 165 games as well as a Calder Cup with the Marlies. What has never materialized with Bracco is opportunity and you could argue several reasons for it. With his ELC ending and his waiver eligibility starting, the clock will be ticking for Toronto to see what they have here or lose him to another team more prepared to give him his NHL audition. he spent a full year stagnating in Toronto last year, so the time is now. by this time next season we should have a more conclusive answer regarding his future.

3rd Round - Pick 61 - D Ryan Pilon
NHL Status: Retired

Pilon was a complete wild card at this stage in the draft. Washington had previously made a pick like this with Blake Clarke, as both were consensus Top 15 picks heading into their draft seasons. Pilon had all the natural skill and ability you could hope for, but his heart wasn't in the game. It made for a tantalizing pick in the 3rd round that perhaps some time away from hockey would revive his love of the game, but it never materialized. I stand by gambles like this one because Pilon would have been a prototype defender for the direction the league was going at the time, but he simply didn't want it. There was already scuttlebutt that he wasn't going to play professionally at the time we took him, but the upside was too considerable.

4th Round - Pick 104 - W Blake Speers
NHL Status: AHL Fringe

Washington felt they had struck gold with this middle round selection after he made the opening night roster for the Devils at just 19, but it became quickly apparent that he was over his head at that level and never even really solidified his position in the AHL. The quick skating Speers offered a tantalizing visual package of talent but was never able to put all of those tools into action. He is an unusual footnote in the draft as a player that made the NHL the quickest of our selections but never played more than the 3 games there.

5th Round - Pick 138 - W Conor Garland
NHL Status: NHL regular

Garland took quite a bit of seasoning before arriving in the league, but his overwhelming numbers in Junior were enough to trigger our interest. Especially for an American. There were shades of Johnny Gaudreau in what he was doing for Moncton and his record breaking QMJHL career made us confident he was worth at least a late round flier. Washington was rewarded with a player who now seems to be coming into his own in a very Daniel Briere type capacity of being a spark plug goal scoring winger that isn't afraid to throw his considerably smaller frame around and take punishment to make plays. His puck skills were always 80 level on a baseball scouting scale, but it took him a while to figure out the professional game. Having posted his 1st 20 goal campaign in the shortened season last year, we expect good things for Garland moving forward.

Reactions: Canuck09

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I liked the Roslovic pick then and still do now. Could still breakout. He was probably my fallback on Chabot at 28, and the only question I had was skating. When you look back at the team they iced at the U18s that year, it's remarkable how many are now in the NHL, with Bracco the only disappointment among them.

Garland and Speers were both great picks where you took them as well, even if Speers hasn't worked out. Not entirely sure what happened there but it's kind of mind boggling that he's scored less than 40 points in three professional seasons combined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad