HFNHL 2019 NYI Entry Draft

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
Big draft for a depleted NYI prospect pool

#28 – Traded
During the draft I wasn’t a big fan of the forward prospects left at pick 28 and wanted to trade down. If I couldn’t trade down I was looking at either Brink, McMichael, Tracey or Poulin at 28. Ended up trading pick 28 for picks 41 and 71.

#41 – Brayden Tracey LW (pick was acquired)
Ended up getting one of the guys I was targeting at pick 28. Tracey really proved himself in his rookie season in the WHL, scoring 36 goals and 81 points in 66 games leading to the WHL rookie of the year award. Tracey has such a dynamic offensive game and can beat the opposition with his speed and control of the puck. Although some scouts believe his work this season was mainly because of his veteran line mates, Tracey’s play in the U-18’s should how versatile he is offensively. Haws great zone entry and exit stats, and a good CORSI for and against.

#59 – Alex Beaucage RW
One of the more underrated players of this draft because of his skating, Beaucage has great size and skill. Playing for one of the best teams in the QMJHL, Beaucage was a 1st liner and a PP guy. Finished a strong rookie year with 39 goals and 79 points in 68 games, uses his size to get inside on defenders.

#71 – Jordan Spence RD (pick was acquired)
Using the extra pick acquired from moving down from 28 the NYI select reigning QMJHL rookie and defensive rookie of the year Jordan Spence. Undrafted in the QMJHL draft Spence had 49 points in 68 games for Moncton Wildcats. He is a true offensive defenceman and one of the best PP quarterbacks in the QMJHL. Although he has superb offensive skill, he still needs work on his defensive game, not the worst but needs improvement. Similar to our first pick Tracey, Spence also has been good in dealing with zone exits and entries.

NYI still has picks 121, 163 and 214

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I really like this draft. Tracey, Beaucage and Spence were all targets for me. Any doubts about Tracey and Spence's surprising junior production were addressed for me at the U18s, although Spence's progression in-tournament was better. Tracey did struggle with the pace in the later games, but he's got time to work on the skating.

And I like Beaucage too, right around where you took him. The skating is a real issue, but the rest of the package is there and he's pretty young for this draft too. Guys like him often top out as AAAA players, but if they hit they can be impact players due to their hockey sense and adaptability.

Reactions: Zack22

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
Rounds 4-7
Overall GM Zack was looking to take risky picks with high reward this draft, knowing that he has to improve his prospect pool he swung for the fences on some questionable picks.

#121 – Yevgeni Oxentyuk
A bit of a reach in the fourth round, but NYI loves his goal scoring ability and was really impressed with his performance at the U-18’s, leading a poor Belarus team with 6 pts in 5 games. Still needs to work on his skating but could surprise people in a couple of years with his development.

#163 – Zachary Okabe
Another questionable pick, Okabe did not play in a major junior league, but instead in the AJHL where he was almost a point per game. He is a small winger, but boy is he fast and utilizes his speed to help create playmaking opportunities that weren’t previously there.

#214 – Eric Uba
Played on the lousy Flint Firebirds and put up a half decent season with 42 points in 67 games. Uba is a guy who always gives 100% effort and never gives up, which was more evident this season playing for last place Flint.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I thought these were strong upside gambles, I had both Ox and Okabe high on my day 2 list. The size is a concern, sure, but skill and skating can take you a long way. And before people say smaller players struggle in the playoffs, first you have to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Zack22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad