HFDevils prospects poll poll

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
OK, not quite a poll, but...

I've been running the polls using the list of players based on the NHLs rules for rookie eligibility.

Rookie Qualifications

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

This would, among others, preclude Alexander Holtz (more than 6 games played in each of the last two seasons).

I wanted your thoughts on continuing using rookie eligibility as the requirement, or if we should switch to something else, and if so, what.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This should be fun

Tedenby, Boucher, Merrill, Gelinas, Tallackson, Suglobov, Hale, Foster, Ward. Corrente. Hoeffel. Don't forget Quenneville, Ty Smith, Blan-DI-SI! Sharifijanov!

I feel like I can make a we didn't start the fire out of these.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm fine with rookie eligibility. Seems fair, if anything I'd make it more restrictive (24 years or under by September 15th of that season).

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i don’t really like the calder voting eligibility. It doesn’t feel up to date with how teams use young players anymore. More and more prospect ranking sites are starting to use a flat U25 or U23 requirement and i wouldn’t mind that, though obviously there should be some sort of cutoff cuz there’s no reason to rank Jack Hughes or Mercer.

Although now that i’ve said it, a U25 ranking WOULD be interesting… but it would involve a lot less of the fringe players being considered, which i think is part of the fun.

Reactions: Darkauron

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wouldn't mind continuing to do normal rookie eligibility, but I definitely think Holtz is still a prospect. Maybe under 30 NHL games could be the cutoff, like the mainboard is doing it right now.

I think I'm liking this suggestion the most. I mean, I'd stick with the rookie qualification, but I had so many complaints about it in the past, and I'm sure I'd get a ton over Holtz.

Unless there's any objections, I think I'll go with the 30 game rule.

-edit-
Oh, and keep the under 26 year age limit too.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think I'm liking this suggestion the most. I mean, I'd stick with the rookie qualification, but I had so many complaints about it in the past, and I'm sure I'd get a ton over Holtz.

Unless there's any objections, I think I'll go with the 30 game rule.

-edit-
Oh, and keep the under 26 year age limit too.
If anyone can dig up the old hockey’s future eligibility rankings, I believe that’s what these polls were first ranked on.

I want to say it was less than 50 games.

I think I found it. Convoluted but makes sense:
If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to the criteria above.

European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I thought the protocol is a one person riot?

IMG-6799.gif

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
For all intents and purposes the defining characteristic for these signed players that determines if they are a prospect to me is if their contracts are waiver exempt. Meaning can we send them back to the minors if they need to go back. Holtz next year will still be waiver exempt, Foote will not. That seems right to me, even though Holtz has played 28 NHL games, and Foote has played 19.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just start at #3

Edit: who should be Casey.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This should be fun

Tedenby, Boucher, Merrill, Gelinas, Tallackson, Suglobov, Hale, Foster, Ward. Corrente. Hoeffel. Don't forget Quenneville, Ty Smith, Blan-DI-SI! Sharifijanov!

Man did I have a thing for several of these guys, can't win them all. At least so far I've been accurate with Schmid.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
OK. I think it makes sense to go by the HF rules.

If only I could made sense of them.

I guess it's what I'll try. Time to whittle down the list.
Funny enough Bahl just ages out of that list.

7 games in 2020-21
17 games in 2021-2022
42 games in 2022-2023

Total of 66 games, just over the 65 in that criteria. Feels like he’s the one player that might be a bit of a debate whether to include in the poll.

Can always pull the group in the first and second rankings and then add him in there if most are in favor.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Funny enough Bahl just ages out of that list.

7 games in 2020-21
17 games in 2021-2022
42 games in 2022-2023

Total of 66 games, just over the 65 in that criteria. Feels like he’s the one player that might be a bit of a debate whether to include in the poll.

Can always pull the group in the first and second rankings and then add him in there if most are in favor.

I’m generally for having as many players as possible in the poll, but Bahl wasn’t in the poll last year because he wasn’t eligible under the Calder rules.

It would feel odd, to me at least, to put him back after he was already graduated.

Bahl and Mercer were the only players who graduated after last season.

I would keep Holtz and Schmid in, Zetterlund was the one clear graduate from last season (before we shipped his ass off).

Last edited:

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
This should be fun

I've always been partial to Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad