Mirco Mueller
Kevin Rooney
Brett Seney

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Butcher, then Greene for me.

I really don't see an argument for the rest of the group sans Butcher over Greene. Curious to see how far he falls though since HF hates him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
no way butcher is > greene

butcher plays sheltered minutes. guaranteed if you put butcher where greene is, he'd flounder and we'd hate him. not saying greene is the best there, but considering all factors, he's not bad at all
Butcher is probably worse defensively, but better offensively. At think at this point in their careers, when added up, Butcher is better. His defense is pretty underrated because people presume his lack of speed automatically results in his D being bad.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Butcher has some of the best advanced stats on the defense. I don't think you can penalize him for his usage; however he's being used, he's effective in the role. Greene is a good 4-5-6 who was forced to play beyond his abilities as a #1.

Reactions: Bleedred

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
These polls are always tricky to me. Are we doing the current players based on where they are right now or what we expect going forward? Who knows. I'm not a Greene "fan" anymore BUT he's certainly a guy who has gotten way to much underserved bullshit on these boards.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
These polls are always tricky to me. Are we doing the current players based on where they are right now or what we expect going forward? Who knows. I'm not a Greene "fan" anymore BUT he's certainly a guy who has gotten way to much underserved bull**** on these boards.
he's the new trav lol

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
These polls are always tricky to me. Are we doing the current players based on where they are right now or what we expect going forward? Who knows. I'm not a Greene "fan" anymore BUT he's certainly a guy who has gotten way to much underserved bull**** on these boards.

I view it as - Who is the player you believe is the best RIGHT NOW. For example, I think Hischier is better than Hughes right now. But by February, I think it is very possible - even likely - that Hughes is better than Hischier.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I view it as - Who is the player you believe is the best RIGHT NOW. For example, I think Hischier is better than Hughes right now. But by February, I think it is very possible - even likely - that Hughes is better than Hischier.

I tend to view it the same way, that's why I couldn't grasp ppl saying Hughes was already the 4th best player on the team.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

every year, it’s the same thing lol. we never define the criteria, so after the top 3-5 it becomes meaningless because everyone’s using a different standard. it’s like the offseason version of stoppable goals

Reactions: Billdo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Isn't this the first year we did current player polls?
Indeed. I thought it would be interesting to do.

If yo go back to the first poll, I stated that it's up to the voter to decide what the definition of "best player" is, but my suggestion was to treat it as if some non-hockey friend came up to you and asked "You're a Devils fan, eh? Who's your best player?" "And who's your second best player?". And so on.

Reactions: HBK27 and Billdo

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I tend to view it the same way, that's why I couldn't grasp ppl saying Hughes was already the 4th best player on the team.

I voted Hughes 4th. Because I believe he is that good. I also think Subban should be waaaaaay ahead of Hischier.

This is how I'd rank our best current players:

1. Hall
  2. Subban
  3. Hischier
  4. Hughes
  5. Severson
  6. Vatanen
  7. Zajac
  8. Palmieri
  9. Bratt
  10. Greene
The rest is hard for me to do. A lot of them are pretty even and have different strengths/weaknesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad