Prospect Info: HFCF Prospect Poll: #13 RUNOFF TIME!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We did this last summer, lets do it again.

I am going to start with some guidelines.

To be considered a prospect in these polls they must be under 26 (as of July 1st, 2015) and have fewer than 80 games of NHL experience (including playoffs).

I will set polls to expire in 48 hours. After 48 hours a winner shall be declared unless the winner has less than a 10 vote lead. At which point there will be a 24-hour poll that pits against each other anyone within 5 votes of the leader. There will not be multiple runoff-polls so a win by 1 in a run-off poll will be final. After a winner is declared the next poll will be put up at my earliest convenience.

The current plan is vote on all 37 eligible prospects, but if participation dissipates it may stop sooner.

List of eligible prospects:
Agostino, Ken
Andersson, Rasmus
Arnold, Bill
Bennett, Sam
Bruce, Rily
Carroll, Austin
Culkin, Ryan
DeBlouw, Matt
Elson, Turner
Ferland, Micheal
Gillies, Jon
Gilmour, John
Granlund, Markus
Grant, Derek
Harrison, Tim
Hathaway, Garnet
Hickey, Brandon
Jankowski, Mark
Jooris, Josh
Kanzig, Keegan
Karnaukhov, Pavel
Klimchuk, Morgan
Kulak, Brett
Kylington, Oliver
Mangiapane, Andrew
McDonald, Mason
Morrison, Kenney
Ollas-Mattsson, Adam
Ortio, Joni
Poirier, Emile
Rafikov, Rushan
Shore, Drew
Sieloff, Patrick
Smith, Hunter
Van Brabant, Bryce
Wolf, David
Wotherspoon, Tyler

Rankings:
1. Sam Bennett http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1927891
2. Emile Poirier http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1928091
3. Jon Gillies http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1929015
4. Mark Jankowski (tiebreaker) http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1930105
5. Morgan Klimchuk (tiebreaker) http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1931223
6. Oliver Kylington http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1932451
7. Brandon Hickey http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1933741
8. Joni Ortio http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=105642903
9. Rasmus Andersson http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=105664279
10. Markus Granlund http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1935309
11. Micheal Ferland http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1937397
12. Mason McDonald http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1939641

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is where it gets really tricky. Arnold? Jooris? Wotherspoon? Morrison? Shore?

I'm going to go with Wotherspoon.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Same could be said for Granlund though, he hasn't been overly impressive either. In fact I would say he looked more overwhelmed than Shore did in any of his appearances.

This 100%, both were 2nd round picks and both appear to have similar upside, difference being Shore has better size. I really think Shore will surprise people this year and will make Granlund expendable and ultimately dealt.

He's played in all the top U.S. programs all throughout his development. He's got a great pedigree for his development, again I think a proper offseason of training will make a big difference. Florida has a terrible track record for development.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This 100%, both were 2nd round picks and both appear to have similar upside, difference being Shore has better size. I really think Shore will surprise people this year and will make Granlund expendable and ultimately dealt.

He's played in all the top U.S. programs all throughout his development. He's got a great pedigree for his development, again I think a proper offseason of training will make a big difference. Florida has a terrible track record for development.
All of this :handclap:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly, at this point I'd put Jooris, Shore, Wotherspoon, Morrison and perhaps some others in a tie.

Definitely all in the same lump, personally I think Granlund is right in that group. Of those remaining I'd probably go Shore, Morrison, Jooris and Tspoon. But all are extremely close.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd put Jooris a step below that group and suggest he would be in the next group with Hunter Smith and Patrick Sieloff.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'd put Jooris a step below that group and suggest he would be in the next group with Hunter Smith and Patrick Sieloff.

How can you put him in a group with two guys who are still establishing themselves at the AHL level? Who also don't project to be impact players.

Also relating to your post in the last thread, Shore is significantly older than Granlund so I don't like the comparison.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How can you put him in a group with two guys who are still establishing themselves at the AHL level? Who also don't project to be impact players.

To be fair, Jooris was exactly that two summers ago. Smith and Sieloff both have better pedigree, as they are second-rounders. I can see the argument. Jooris has proven more, but this poll isn't about accomplishments, it's about projection.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
To be fair, Jooris was exactly that two summers ago. Smith and Sieloff both have better pedigree, as they are second-rounders. I can see the argument. Jooris has proven more, but this poll isn't about accomplishments, it's about projection.

Fair enough. I don't think much of Sieloff at this point. I have also always been sheepish on Smith. I feel like Jooris bottoms out as a 4th line player at this point. It kinda feels like how Bouma was ranked in the low teens because he wasn't seen as having the same 'projection' as some mid rounders above him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Also relating to your post in the last thread, Shore is significantly older than Granlund so I don't like the comparison.
Pretty easily. Jooris has already far exceeded my expectations, so I don't think he will be more than the 3rd/4th line energy player he already is. Smith is just finishing junior and is projecting to be at least a 3rd line power forward with good defensive awareness. Sieloff basically missed more than a full year due to injury/illness and this year was a catch-up year, but prior to his staph infection he was extremely impressive in camp and still has the ability to be a Sarich type defender.

Also how can you complain about the age difference between Granlund and Shore (less than 2 years) and then ignore it when it comes to Jooris & Sieloff/Smith when he is 5 years older than either of them?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Pretty easily. Jooris has already far exceeded my expectations, so I don't think he will be more than the 3rd/4th line energy player he already is. Smith is just finishing junior and is projecting to be at least a 3rd line power forward with good defensive awareness. Sieloff basically missed more than a full year due to injury/illness and this year was a catch-up year, but prior to his staph infection he was extremely impressive in camp and still has the ability to be a Sarich type defender.

Also how can you complain about the age difference between Granlund and Shore (less than 2 years) and then ignore it when it comes to Jooris & Sieloff/Smith when he is 5 years older than either of them?

I'd say Calling Smith 'at least a 3rd line power forward' is more than jumping the gun. Almost to the point of being ridiculous he is far from a lock as a successful pro, let alone NHL 3rd liner.

Also because I wasn't comparing them as players. You made a direct comparison between Granlund/Shore at the NHL level. I made no such comparison between Jooris and those prospects precisely because they are not comparable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd say Calling Smith 'at least a 3rd line power forward' is more than jumping the gun. Almost to the point of being ridiculous he is far from a lock as a successful pro, let alone NHL 3rd liner.

Also because I wasn't comparing them as players. You made a direct comparison between Granlund/Shore at the NHL level. I made no such comparison between Jooris and those prospects precisely because they are not comparable.
The guy that does CHL games for Sportsnet as the color guy (I am drawing a blank on his name but he is actually pretty respected, I'd compare his knowledge to that of Lubo) once said in a General broadcast that Smith will be an NHL player, it's just a matter of how his offense will translate as to where he will play in the lineup. The guy is excellent defensively, actually skates decent, plays physical and has a nose for the net. His upside is higher than that of Jooris, but he has no more question marks than Jooris did a year ago IMO.

And yeah I did make a direct comparison, but Shore was rushed to the NHL to play on the Panthers 4th line during his first pro season which kind of stagnated his development a bit with them, but he was really breaking out of that this year once he was finally being developed properly. He has all the abilities Granlund does, except he has size, is better defensively, more physical and can actually win a faceoff.

Also keep in mind I have never been high on Granlund, I don't think he should have been in the NHL this year at all because he is not physically mature enough to handle being an everyday NHL player. He is too easily pushed off the puck and I find he gives the puck away when pressured.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Jeez our prospect pool is pretty deep. I think Morrison will be higher on our prospect rating list next year because we will see him play a full season. I personally think he could be a great NHL player with top 4 potential but after drafting Andersson and Kylington and aquiring Dougie it would be easy forgot Morrison is still there. But he was one of the most sought after college FAs this year, I'm excited to see him play a full season with Stockton and maybe get a couple games with the flames

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Granlund really stood out in the playoffs and not in a good way, he was in way over his head. I'll be interested to see how he performs this year.

While Shore didn't put up a lot of points, I saw lots of things that I liked. He has natural skill and a calmness to his game. He doesn't force things, you can tell he has a nose for the net, he has good IQ and understands where to be on the ice. I also really like his shot. He's not as flashy as Granlund is, but I just find that he has a really good understanding of the game and let's things come to him. If he can add a little more strength this offseason, then I think we'll see him be more of a difference maker this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Granlund really stood out in the playoffs and not in a good way, he was in way over his head. I'll be interested to see how he performs this year.

While Shore didn't put up a lot of points, I saw lots of things that I liked. He has natural skill and a calmness to his game. He doesn't force things, you can tell he has a nose for the net, he has good IQ and understands where to be on the ice. I also really like his shot. He's not as flashy as Granlund is, but I just find that he has a really good understanding of the game and let's things come to him. If he can add a little more strength this offseason, then I think we'll see him be more of a difference maker this year.
Agreed with all of this, especially with the reports about the Panthers not worrying much about conditioning. I think he is going to surprise people this year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Has to be Shore

Johnny Hoxville said:

Well said.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm going Arnold, he's just so smart. Impresses me every time I see him. Like one watched him play 10 times and I can't remember ever seeing him make a bad play.

Shore, And Culkin are good too. Culkin got traded for a kings random in the Q, he had a very, very good year as a first year pro, and his skating is exceptional. Morrison is a complete X factor for me. I've never seen him play.

As for Granlund, I think his offensive ceiling is very high. He just needs to get faster and stronger IMO.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Hey AS:

How-to-find-and-fix-broken-links.gif

Your links are broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad