Prospect Info: HFCBJ Summer 2021 Prospect Rankings: #7

Who is the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Can someone explain to me how Angle isn't the second coming of TFW? Or why I shouldn't trust TFW's '19 more than Angle's '20?

Angle is younger (potentially more upside or at least more time towards his peak).
TFW is coming off a fairly major injury.
Angle was better than a PPG player in the AHL in his first season there. TFW was not and though he did put up 9 points in 9 games last season in Cleveland, his season was cut short by the previously mentioned injury.
Angle is, allegedly, three inches taller (if that matters).
Angle has played center in the past (unsure if he projects there long term), TFW is a RW.

I view them as pretty close, but give the slight edge to Angle at the moment.

Heavy Metal Jackets

Jan 9, 2021
Land of Cheese
I'm fine with Angle, just I see he and Trey as identical. I'm intrigued by some of this year's late draftees, especially Malatesta, Makarov and Rysavy. Holm from last year, too.

They both have a good amount of skill, I think they're plenty different. Not too sure about either of their defensive games. They both improved drastically in their third seasons(+/-) in Canadian juniors, whatever that's worth.

Angle- Taller, solid overall shot, good net front presence, great hand/eye coordination, flair to his game.
TFW- Stout, nice wrist shot, grittier, former captain, good dangler/finisher.

I really like Malatesta, Rysavy, Johanesson, Christiansen as some of our later prospects.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Angle is younger (potentially more upside or at least more time towards his peak).

This is the biggest factor to my mind. 14 months age difference leaves a lot more runway for Angle to take off and maybe surprise people.

I’d say being cautious is the right call. My only thing is TFW was slightly above marginal before and injury. Meanwhile Angle was really good albeit against reduced competition in the AHL.

Both are probably career minor leaguers. With that being said, I would trust Angle more due to his size and style of play.

I think it's too early to put Angle in that category. At age 20 what he did was really remarkable.

Your typical AHL scoring leader didn't put up numbers like what Angle did at age 20. T.J. Tynan was scoring at closer to half that pace until he was in his mid 20s.

Yes, scoring for players that age was up this year, but what he did was rare even taking that into account. There were 61 U21 players in the AHL this year who played 20+ games. And only two of them topped a point per game. Tyler Angle and Phil Tomasino, who is a real blue chipper. Some high end prospects from his same draft came short of that distinction, including McMichael, Kaliyev, and Nick Robertson.

In any case, I voted to add Dunne, he's closer to ready and he has some real upside to grow into being a strong bottom six center. I'm excited for both of them.

Reactions: rotsbu and Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have dunne in the Angle tier of prospects. They have higher potential but dunne is far more likely to actually make it in.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Likewise; for me, Angle and TFW and Dunne are kind of all stuffed in together in that "not top-10 but still worthwhile" tier. (So, 12-14. ;) )

Elvis Merzlikins was once ranked 19th. The next year, 20th. The next year, 16th.
Josh Anderson was once ranked 15th.
Joonas Korpisalo was once unranked. The next year, 16th.
In 2016 alone: Andrew Peeke was ranked 18th, Elvis 16th, Vladislav Gavrikov 15th, Markus Nutivaara 14th, Dean Kukan 13th. Conversely, Milano was 5th that year, and 7-12 went Carlsson, Forsberg, Abramov, Bittner, Kolesar, and Zaar.
Emil Bemstrom was once ranked 18th.
Eric Robinson was once ranked 17th.

Not that these lists mean anything, but you can find plenty of worthwhile players after 14.

Reactions: thebus88 and koteka

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Elvis Merzlikins was once ranked 19th. The next year, 20th. The next year, 16th.
In 2016 alone: Andrew Peeke was ranked 18th, Elvis 16th, Vladislav Gavrikov 15th, Markus Nutivaara 14th, Dean Kukan 13th. Conversely, Milano was 5th that year, and 7-12 went Carlsson, Forsberg, Abramov, Bittner, Kolesar, and Zaar.

Not that these lists mean anything, but you can find plenty of worthwhile players after 14.
I wasn't saying folks past that are meaningless. Heck, everybody from 1-20 on my list is someone I really like; there's no "reluctant" folks on my list this year. Just, y'know, my presumed probabilities.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

We are all going to look stupid when Eric Hjorth starts the season paired with Werenski and wins the Calder. And I am ok with that.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Surprised about Caulemans getting less votes than Peeke here.

Peeke looks like a career 3rd pair dman to me. Caulemans has way more upside

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The disconcerting thing about the results. if we are right, is that there are no D in the top 6 and looks like 7. Given the state of the current D, I dunno. However even if we're half right on the top 6 that will improve the offense.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The disconcerting thing about the results. if we are right, is that there are no D in the top 6 and looks like 7. Given the state of the current D, I dunno. However even if we're half right on the top 6 that will improve the offense.
Half the problem is D take so long to develop. Its easier to see a forward develop and transition into the league so Id say thats why in my opinion.

In the end I wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see atleast one of the D jump over many forwards we ranked ahead of them in this poll

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Well, Peeke is included but he's basically an NHL player already. The blue line is very young - Lehtonen is 27, Harrington and Kukan are 28. Every other guy is under 26. So even though they aren't included here, guys like Boqvist and Bean are still very young and could improve and become top 4 mainstays potentially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad