Prospect Info: HFCBJ Summer 2021 Prospect Rankings: #4

Who is the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Chinakov definitely suffering from a lack of tape and exposure, in these polls.

Isn't Chinakhov famous now for being a shock draft pick?

I don't think you can say he's gotten any less exposure than Voronkov.

Some of Chinakhov's "tape", as you know, is pretty epic.

Massive boom, massive bust potential. He was undrafted one time through for a reason, and I know there’s plenty of players who want undrafted once and ended up pretty good, but I do have it knocking him down a peg.

I still don’t have my own personal official top 20 but I can tell you he’s on the lower end of the “top” prospects.

The reason I'm not as bullish as some on Chinakhov is that it's just harder to project his future production because his main attribute so far has just been his shot. He's not a plus playmaker. And we've seen it before that a great shot in other leagues doesn't always translate into 30 goals in the NHL.

But to me "massive bust potential" greatly overstates it. He's fast, he's strong, he's got a great build and a good stick. He battles hard. I think if you don't get a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level you still probably get a guy that is an effective checking forward.

Reactions: rotsbu

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I see everywhere lists him as his drafted weight. I seem to recall finding him on a KHL site and listing him at something like 213 lbs. I could be wrong but I remember seeing him listed as much more than the 183-190 he normally is

Edit: The KHL site now is pretty goofy. I cant find size listings on their anymore and its pretty frustrating how they set it up
213 lbs sounds about right where he will probably end up. Nichushkin has a similar frame and he's listed at 209 lbs on Eliteprospects.

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Figured out the KHL site finally. Its lists him as 192 so the 190 listing are apparently correct

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
But to me "massive bust potential" greatly overstates it. He's fast, he's strong, he's got a great build and a good stick. He battles hard. I think if you don't get a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level you still probably get a guy that is an effective checking forward.
I like his patience, he seems calm with the puck. Based on that video he's not a pure shoot-first player who doesn't look for other options once gets the puck. There were some cross ice passes and other creative plays. I especially like the play he makes at 3:25. 3 on 3 attack, he's acrossing red line on right wing with puck on his stick. Instead of going for the simplest and safest option after redline (dump-in), he does a little backhand flip to center which is an areal pass for his linemate that could possibly lead to a 2 on 1 situation. There is a great risk of turnover in that attempt but you can see Chinakhov immediately after the pass turning to his left for a position where he would be ready to skate towards defensive zone in case the pass fails. I think there are a lot of signs he has high hockey iq.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
To me Voronkov is a guy I want on my team for the 200 foot game, the physical size, strength and intimidation perspectives. I like Voronkov a lot but I don't see him as a first line player and most likely he won't be in the top six either. That won't make him any less imortant as a prospect. But this is a best prospects poll. Chinakhov is a sniper. Chinakhov should be a top six player. And Chinakhov is my vote.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I posted the following less than 10 months ago:

"Voted Chinakhov. I actually have him second for us, behind Marchenko and ahead of Foudy. I normally personally rank my choices by something like 65% based on ceiling, 35% based on floor in these rankings. I'm really confident that Marchenko will be at least a second-line player in the NHL, and think he has a really good shot at being a legitimiate first-liner in the 65-70 point range. I think Foudy will be a solid 3rd-liner that can play up in the 2nd-line if necessary, and a great PKer that can make things happen with his speed. So, essentially, I think both Marchenko and Foudy will be NHLers, but with Marchenko "a line higher" in the lineup.

But I think Chinakhov has the highest ceiling of all. I think he could legitimately be a PPG player in this league. His shot is absolutely lethal. And that's why I have him ahead of Foudy. The reason why I still have Marchenko ahead is because I'm really confident Marchenko will be a second-line player and reasonably confident he'll be a first-liner. I don't feel that confident in Chinakhov. But if Chinakhov DOES end up reaching his potential... look out."

^My thoughts haven't changed too much (except now I have Johnson and Sillinger ahead of Marchenko, so Chinakhov fourth instead of second). The main difference is you can input Voronkov now in the above instead of Foudy (not from a "playing style/type of game" perspective, but from a potential line impact perspective), as I think Voronkov will likely get there while I'm no longer as sure Foudy will every be able to play in the top-six at all (at least for a team that wants to contend).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I actually am just now thinking about bumping up Knazko and adding him here. He's less than half a year older than Svozil and I like the upside. It's a really tough comparison to make. We haven't seen Knazko at the pro level yet, whereas Svozil has been playing in the top Czech league since he was 16. Next year when Knazko moves up will be revealing. For now I'm sticking with my preference for Svozil, he's more polished than Knazko and has some pretty good upside too.

Ceulemans is just a bit lower in my opinion, by the way. He is the strongest on his feet of the three and has a real weapon of a shot. But the puck decisions are a bit lacking and that might foretell some lower upside.
Personally, I don't understand how Svozil could be drafted so low.
I think I will probably watch some games TPS Turku to see Kňažko, because he was very good in WC.

Reactions: Fro and majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Out of curiosity which ones?
Id have to go look, I liked before the draft when Elite prospects had all the main ranking listed on the players profiles. MacKenzie's list and a few others had Ceulemans comfortably in the 1st. Around 20 I think. I forget who all had Svozil in the 1st. Not a ton but he was near the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd in a few

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I just went and looked at a bunch of rankings and your recollection seems correct. I didn't find any that had Svozil top 32 but definitely in the under 40 tier. Dobber, who I have no idea as to how good that service is, had both Ceulemans and Svozil at high rankings as to likelihood of being NHLers. This draft keeps looking better all the time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just went and looked at a bunch of rankings and your recollection seems correct. I didn't find any that had Svozil top 32 but definitely in the under 40 tier. Dobber, who I have no idea as to how good that service is, had both Ceulemans and Svozil at high rankings as to likelihood of being NHLers. This draft keeps looking better all the time.
Elite Prospects had Svozil at 18. (They also had Ceulemans at 55, tho...)

Reactions: EspenK

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
There was a post on reddit that gathered a lot of ranking info. Apparently mostly amateur services had Svozil in the 1st. Elite Prospects and Mike Morreale (NHL Network) had him in there a long with a couple others

Reactions: EspenK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad