Prospect Info: HFCBJ 2023 Summer Prospect Rankings: #4

Which of these 5 prospects is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Brindley AINEC.

People are voting with the logic that Isaac Phillips is a better prospect than Oliver Moore.

A 23 year old 4th round pick who’s best season involved scoring at the same rate as an age 19 Chinakhov in the KHL is voted as a better prospect than 18 year olds taken in the 1/2nd rounds, because he’s closer to the NHL? What?
And what about the people voting for 20 year old Svozil who just had a huge season and is actually leading the poll at this time

I think people are overrating Voronkov but his value obviously isnt just points. People have different opinions on how to rate that, I lean more to upside but some seem to rate his hard to play against game higher and NHL certainty higher than a small skill guy they probably havent seen play a ton.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The parallel that comes to my mind w/r/t the Voronkov votes is voting in Boone Jenner over Cam Atkinson. (Which we never ultimately did, although it was close sometimes.)

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Voronkov, add Tarasov.

Part of this is just Voronkov "hype"; he's the next guy that could potentially surprise us (à la Marchenko who I'm very fond of). That said, I have seen some of his highlights last year and the year prior (on some of those Reddit highlight threads), some of those were nice plays, and he did have more than the occasional 'clutch' goal I believe. I think there's fire inside him that could lead to good things. And he does seem physical which we could use.

I have seen zero of Brindley (gonna be interesting where I put him)... Nobody said this was supposed to be super well informed so... :popcorn:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was surprised to see poll #4 this morning because I never saw #3. It appeared briefly this afternoon but now has disappeared again. Two computers two different browsers. Anyone else have this problem?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I was surprised to see poll #4 this morning because I never saw #3. It appeared briefly this afternoon but now has disappeared again. Two computers two different browsers. Anyone else have this problem?
Not issue here, is it possible you accidentally put the thread on ignore?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

it-crowd-hello-it.gif

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
voted Voronkov & going with Tarasov. Would have voted Danil sooner - didn't realize he still qualified. We need him to be really good & I believe he is.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have no idea who to add.

I watched a lot of prospects this year but mostly for the draft and haven't watched most of our kids.

@CBJWerenski8 Christiansen should be on the add list, fits the criteria here. I'm not voting for him now, but maybe in ten picks.

Add Tarasov I guess.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have no idea who to add.

I watched a lot of prospects this year but mostly for the draft and haven't watched most of our kids.

@CBJWerenski8 Christiansen should be on the add list, fits the criteria here. I'm not voting for him now, but maybe in ten picks.

Add Tarasov I guess.
I havent said an add player because im in the same boat :laugh:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
voted Voronkov & going with Tarasov. Would have voted Danil sooner - didn't realize he still qualified. We need him to be really good & I believe he is.

He's been bad since coming to NA. 24 years old. I think a lot of fans are holding onto hope about his hype + he's had some injuries. Who knows, maybe he puts it together finally (a lot of goalies do take several years before hitting their prime in the NHL).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The skill disparity between he and others is huge. Shooting, skating, IQ, Defensive acumen, I don’t see any trait that Voronkov is better at than the others, except being larger in size.

Keep in mind he’s 4-5 years older than half of these guys, and statistically forwards peak at his current age.

I like Voronkov a lot, and watched many of his games on ESPN+ before they were taken off the platform. His upside is a third line guy.
You might be correct about Voronkov. I can't deny his upside is lower and that there are flaws in his game but I still have him currently in top-5. As of today I don't see huge gaps between him and guys like Mateychuk, Svozil, Brindley, Ivanov and Ceulemans, very roughly speaking they're same tier prospects for me. The tier below that would include DBB, Dumais, Dolzhenkov, Malatesta, Tarasov etc.. Fantilli and Jiricek would be only top tier guys.

Some of my lower tier prospects would be higher of course if greatest ceiling was the most important factor in my evaluations. But that's not exactly how I rank prospects, I consider other aspects as well.

Btw do you have any concerns about Brindley becoming injury-prone because of his size and physical playing style? I can see he's fast in transition and constantly moving on open ice but takes a lot of contacts and is not the most elusive small player in tight areas. I do wonder how many promising 5'9 forwards in the modern NHL have been able to play that way effectively well into their late 20's and beyond...

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
He's been bad since coming to NA. 24 years old. I think a lot of fans are holding onto hope about his hype + he's had some injuries. Who knows, maybe he puts it together finally (a lot of goalies do take several years before hitting their prime in the NHL).
I've watched him live and when he is on he is very good.. our defense was swiss cheese last year. I'm not going to blame our goalies he was getting blasted between the dots and closer. Goalies typically do not hit the NHL until they are in their late 20's, our fan base has unreasonable expectations more often than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad