Prospect Info: HFCBJ 2023 Summer Prospect Rankings: #4

Which of these 5 prospects is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
HFCBJ's annual prospect polls continue. A quick reminder as to how this goes:
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll (listed alphabetically) and post who you think should be added from the full (remaining) list below. Criteria is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL. (This criteria may not match any particular service's/outlet's, or anyone's here who makes a list. Be that as it may...)

There are no set guidelines to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

1) Adam Fantilli (C)
2) David Jiricek (RD)
3) Denton Mateychuk (LD)

Added: Corson Ceulemans (D)

Select your add from the list below:

Tyler Angle (C)
Ole Julian Bjørgvik Holm (LD)
Ben Boyd (C)
Cameron Butler (RW)
Luca Del Bel Belluz (C)
Kirill Dolzhenkov (RW)
Joshua Dunne (C)
James Fisher (RW/MOD)
Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
Jet Greaves (G)
Aidan Hreschuk (LD)
Sergei Ivanov (G)
Oiva Keskinen (C)
Samuel Knazko (LD)
Nolan Lalonde (G)
Nikolai Makarov (LD)
James Malatesta (LW)
Hunter McKown (C)
Tyler Peddle (LW/C)
Mikael Pyyhtia (LW/C)
Luca Pinelli (C)
Guillaume Richard (LD)
Martin Rysavy (RW)
Melvin Strahl (G)
Andrew Strathmann (LD)
Robbie Stucker (RD)
Daniil Tarasov (G)
Calvin Thürkauf (C/LW)
William Whitelaw (RW)

Add votes as of Major:
Tarasov - 11
McKown - 8
Malatesta - 6
Del Bel Belluz - 5
Greaves - 1
Ivanov - 1

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Svozil, add Tarasov.

I think if Tarasov can ever have a few seasons (mostly) injury free he could pop off in a big way. If it weren't for his injury proneness I would have him higher. But as is I don't think he ever plays a full season and not even being able to play half of season could prevent him from ever establishing himself in the league.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’ll go Brindley here. He really did/does stand out when watching video of Fantilli. I could see his goal numbers take a huge jump in college playing another year, and he really looks to bring the “total package” on offense and brings good forechecking and overall good hockey awareness.

I was somewhat (pleasantly) surprised to see as many people vote for Mateychuk at 3, I thought he was more underrated/under appreciated. I don’t think Svozil is that far behind him or Brindley, but, I do see an “issue” with Mateychuk/Svozil being so similar in the type of players they are, that they possibly get in the way of each other, and that it could limit their potential or value we could get out of either of them down the line.

I really don’t know what to make of Voronkov. Even less than when Chinakhov and Marchenko were coming over. His actual hockey skill is pretty clearly on a completely different level below those guys. While physically, I guess you could say he’s probably a step ahead and a level ahead of those guys though. That said, I don’t see his game being as effective in the NHL as some think it will be.

Fascinating how opinions have changed on both of the goalies.

Add Greaves

Reactions: puckgoalnet

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
add Ivanov

I don’t think Svozil is that far behind him or Brindley, but, I do see an “issue” with Mateychuk/Svozil being so similar in the type of players they are, that they possibly get in the way of each other, and that it could limit their potential or value we could get out of either of them down the line.
True, but similarly, I can also imagine a lot of middle-6 "total package" guys in the system getting in the way of Brindley.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
add Ivanov

True, but similarly, I can also imagine a lot of middle-6 "total package" guys in the system getting in the way of Brindley.
We’ve got TOO MANY (“offensive”) wingers as is, with or without Brindley. He might be a better option at center than Roslovic, Sillinger and Johnson (etc.) also.

There really doesn’t seem to be many “total package” guys in the system. Feel free to list. And I don’t think whatever connection is there between him and Fantilli should be discounted either. Even though it’s hard to say at this point and stage of their careers, Brindley seems to bring an element of defensive awareness and aggression/forechecking ability that many of our forwards/wingers do not bring, without having limited offensive ability.

Making it relevant to Mateychuk/Svozil, you’re looking at 6 defensive spots vs 12 forward spots. Not only that, leaving out how similar both guys are, both Mateychuk and Svozil should be considered “offensive minded defensemen”, and like our current forwards or wingers, the defense is FULL of these types.

Werenski-Jiricek-Severson-Provorov

There’s more than Mateychuk/Svozil that are in the way of each other also.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Brindley AINEC.

People are voting with the logic that Isaac Phillips is a better prospect than Oliver Moore.

A 23 year old 4th round pick who’s best season involved scoring at the same rate as an age 19 Chinakhov in the KHL is voted as a better prospect than 18 year olds taken in the 1/2nd rounds, because he’s closer to the NHL? What?

Reactions: thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
We’ve got TOO MANY (“offensive”) wingers as is, with or without Brindley. He might be a better option at center than Roslovic, Sillinger and Johnson (etc.) also.

There really doesn’t seem to be many “total package” guys in the system. Feel free to list.
Competition could be increased by the time he decides to turn pro.

We might still have Laine, JG, KJ, Marchenko, Fantilli and some other player in the top-6 in that year's camp. Guys like KJ and Marchenko would have learned to play a more complete, "total package" game at that point.

Meanwhile Texier, Sillinger, Chinakhov, McKown along with developing prospects and other guys acquired after 2023 could be fighting for 3rd line spots.

It's not that difficult to see possible challenges on his way.

People are voting with the logic that Isaac Phillips is a better prospect than Oliver Moore.

A 23 year old 4th round pick who’s best season involved scoring at the same rate as an age 19 Chinakhov in the KHL is voted as a better prospect than 18 year olds taken in the 1/2nd rounds, because he’s closer to the NHL? What?
Where are these people saying this is exactly why they prefer Voronkov over Brindley?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Where are these people saying this is exactly why they prefer Voronkov over Brindley?
I don’t know that there is a logical answer as to why else it would be. The skill disparity between he and others is huge. Shooting, skating, IQ, Defensive acumen, I don’t see any trait that Voronkov is better at than the others, except being larger in size.

Keep in mind he’s 4-5 years older than half of these guys, and statistically forwards peak at his current age.

I like Voronkov a lot, and watched many of his games on ESPN+ before they were taken off the platform. His upside is a third line guy.

People say we have one of the top prospect pools in the league (and I agree), but if you’re telling me that Voronkov is our 3rd or 4th best prospect then I don’t how by that logic, we can argue that our prospect pool is thought that highly of…

I’m not even sure Voronkov is a top 150 prospect in hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad